Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oh so it seems it real 😥
If it is it will be the shittest riot ever. Brighton is literally the worst place in the country to try something like that. There’s hardly anyone to protest against, is there?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I personally think that counter protests do not work as it just gives the original protestors something else to attack. The first and simplest thing that a law abiding citizen can do is actually vote when they are asked to so that the voices of the far right (or far left for that matter) are suppressed (hopefully).
While that's true I'd rather they ended up attacking me rather than any person of colour because being white I'm somewhat less likely to be stamped to death after they've beaten me to the ground.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Not sure if anyone has clarified this already but to get citizenship or settled status in the UK you need to prove you have a B1 level of English (B1 basically means you can communicate in everyday situations when speaking about familiar topics). For Spanish citizenship you need A2 level, which is a step below B1.

Thanks, i didn’t know that 👍

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If it is it will be the shittest riot ever. Brighton is literally the worst place in the country to try something like that. There’s hardly anyone to protest against, is there?

I can't help but think they've missed an opportunity, they could have simply joined the Pride carnival Saturday.

I just love the idea of them being surrounded by all those stilettos, feathers, glitter, leather and chains (and I suspect they would have too) :laugh:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
You definitely know what you’re talking about, it seems that Turkey host the most refugees as shown in a graph by @WATFORD zero, is it fair to say that whilst they host the most many of this poor people won’t stay in Turkey and will head elsewhere to claim asylum?
To be honest, I'm definitely no expert - it's an immensely complex area. Incidentally, one reason why there are so many refugees in Turkey is that the EU is paying Turkey huge amounts to keep them there, and to stop them travelling onwards to Greece or Bulgaria (ie, into the nearest EU countries). The EU has just coughed up another €3bn. I imagine the EU will continue to pay these huge sums, and the poor individuals trapped in refugee camps in Turkey will stay there for many years. It's all very depressing.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Personally, I'd ban Twitter/X. I realise there are probably inumerable practical reasons not to do so, but I have yet to really understand what it adds to our lives, generally.
Late responding to this one but Twitter used to be brilliant. It's genius was its succinctness. Having to boil whatever it was you wanted to say down to 140 characters meant you had to think about it a bit. Mostly.

On a personal small scale I still find Twitter to be quite useful. I use it to connect to people who share the same hobbies as me. I keep it as curated as possible so I actually very rarely see any of the awful hateful shit that's on there.

But on your wider point of it being banned - I fully agree. These last couple of days, seeing some of the Tweets shared on here has been eye opening. It isn't a healthy place for people to be. I can see how easy it is for people to get swept up in it and end up just scrolling through utter bile.

It's awful. But it's too far gone and likely here to stay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And is there a difference between ‘ Hosting Refugees’ and ‘Taking asylum seekers’ because my uneducated mind suggests there is?
I’m going to have a guess. Somewhere like Turkey, which has Syrian refugees, they are hosting those who want to return to Syria once the bombing stop, whereas taking asylum seekers means the people applying don’t ever want to go back, and want to stay in the country of choice?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I posted about it earlier on this thread somewhere.

There's a counter-protest also being organised...

I’m unsure what to make of counter protests. Do they just inflame an already volatile situation that just makes the Police’s job harder and more dangerous?

My instinct is that anyone who protests against the EDL etc is all right by me but then I think of some of the anti semitic banners etc at the anti Israel marches and I am pretty sure that there are as many racists and bigots on the extreme left as the extreme right.

If the millions of us who are horrified by what is going on assembled quietly and peacefully in a totally different place to the right wing demos, would this have a greater impact than a counter demo that increases the level
of violence? Solidarity with those who are being subjected to hate rather than adding to it perhaps?

Not sure, so merely pontificating my doubts and confusion….

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
One protest is easier to police than two though.
I entirely agree, but the police didn't manage to stop racists trying to set fire to a hotel and breaking in to get at anyone dark skinned. They didn't manage to stop non white passers by getting assaulted. They didn't stop whole swathes of businesses and services being attacked.
I don't blame the police, it's simple numbers. This violence may be perpetrated by a minority, but it's a minority that far outnumbers the police.
I've no time for the few agitators who will make their way to counter protest but when there are fascists menacing our streets it feels like a duty to oppose them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m unsure what to make of counter protests. Do they just inflame an already volatile situation that just makes the Police’s job harder and more dangerous?

My instinct is that anyone who protests against the EDL etc is all right by me but then I think of some of the anti semitic banners etc at the anti Israel marches and I am pretty sure that there are as many racists and bigots on the extreme left as the extreme right.

If the millions of us who are horrified by what is going on assembled quietly and peacefully in a totally different place to the right wing demos, would this have a greater impact than a counter demo that increases the level
of violence? Solidarity with those who are being subjected to hate rather than adding to it perhaps?

I feel the same. Keep out the way and let the police deal with the far-right lot. I appreciate there is a desire to show those that are are being victimised and threatened they are not alone, I share this feeling, but wonder if there's a better way to do this. The crowdfunding for the library books is a good example, a 500 quid target which was in the tens of thousands last time I looked is a far better way and practical way to show support.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

I reckon you're pretty spo

I reckon you're pretty spot on, tbf

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes - the right to claim asylum is enshrined in international law. However, under UK law you cannot legally claim asylum if you have passed through a safe third country en-route. In reality, it's virtually impossible to do so - so the vast majority of asylum-seekers are effectively "illegal". As part of an asylum claim, the Home Office requires asylum-seekers to state why they didn't claim asylum elsewhere.
If it is not legal to claim asylum in the UK, how are we able to legally grant asylum in the UK, to anyone that has come on a small boat from France?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If it is not legal to claim asylum in the UK, how are we able to legally grant asylum in the UK, to anyone that has come on a small boat from France?
Good question! My wording may be slightly wrong - I should have said that if you arrive via a third country, your arrival is said to be illegal (hence the term "illegal immigrant"). But of course you can still claim asylum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here