Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From the BBC,

About 85% of small boat arrivals in the 12 months to March 2024 were male and - where age was recorded - nearly a fifth were between 25 and 39 years old.
So confirming @Thunder Bolt ’s point, 80% of those males were aged either under 25 or over 39. So a very good chance there were children, plus amoung the 15% that were female.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
And also the "blame Stephen Yaxley-Lennon" campaign by the police allegedly. I wondered how long that would take. Not long at all.

Seriously, just leave the poor guy alone. He's been forced to move abroad and separated from his kids, who are threatened on a daily basis. The police could well be just angry because he wouldn't hand over his phone re: the Manchester Airport footage - again ALLEGEDLY.
how has he been forced to move abroad, and who by?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's certainly indicative of the attitude from the liberal middle class that has led us to this point.
Someone else mentioned this, what exactly has the liberal middle class done, subscribe to The Guardian online? Posted some pro immigration posts on Facebook? I don’t actually know how they’re to blame for what is essentially government policy - successive governments that if you look at voting demographics generally, they haven’t really voted for.

When things are going well this stuff doesn’t happen. However, we’ve had several economic shocks we don’t have control over; Global Crash, Covid, and the self inflicted one’s; Brexit, Crazy Budget, and the stuff we cut from spending is generally the stuff people rely on the most who have the least.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The idea that you can educate the working class into being pro mass immigration is so laughably absurd and arrogant that I can't really think of a appropriate way to respond to it. It's certainly indicative of the attitude from the liberal middle class that has led us to this point.

Immigration policy and the endless supply of cheap labour it has provided has allowed successive governments to essentially abandon large sections of the (mostly) white working class. If you sat all these oafs down in a classroom and educated them on the consequences that mass immigration has had on their lives then most of them would probably be further entrenched in their views.

Attacking hotels and looting is deeply wrong. Those responsible should see the inside of a cell for a few years. Some of them are undoubtedly acting out of bigotry. But they are not wrong to want less immigration. It simply isn't in their own interests, no matter how much those who have economically benefited from it tell them otherwise.
immigration isn't the only economic factor in their relative poverty, successive right governments have a far greater impact

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And also the "blame Stephen Yaxley-Lennon" campaign by the police allegedly. I wondered how long that would take. Not long at all.

Seriously, just leave the poor guy alone. He's been forced to move abroad and separated from his kids, who are threatened on a daily basis. The police could well be just angry because he wouldn't hand over his phone re: the Manchester Airport footage - again ALLEGEDLY.
He’s not separated from his kids. He’s crying on Twitter because the Daily Mail has revealed where they are, together, in a £400 a night, all inclusive resort in Cyprus.
Nobody forced him to change his passport to an Irish one. Maybe that’s because he was arrested as an illegal immigrant to the USA, trying to enter on a false passport.
Why did he use a false passport? He has drug convictions.
Nobody forced him to live in Tenerife.

Spare me the concerns about his children, when he committed ABH on a copper, who was trying to stop him beating up their mother.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don’t think the issue is as binary as that, i think there is a big difference in their eyes between the medical professionals from overseas etc than the large amount of lone male refugees holed up in hotels and hostels across the country 🤷

I’ve spoken to a range of “lone male” asylum seekers, and quite a few are doctors (or at least very well educated in their own country).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Someone else mentioned this, what exactly has the liberal middle class done, subscribe to The Guardian online? Posted some pro immigration posts on Facebook? I don’t actually know how they’re to blame for what is essentially government policy - successive governments that if you look at voting demographics generally, they haven’t really voted for.

When things are going well this stuff doesn’t happen. However, we’ve had several economic shocks we don’t have control over; Global Crash, Covid, and the self inflicted one’s; Brexit, Crazy Budget, and the stuff we cut from spending is generally the stuff people rely on the most who have the least.

The idea that you can educate the working class into being pro mass immigration is so laughably absurd and arrogant that I can't really think of a appropriate way to respond to it. It's certainly indicative of the attitude from the liberal middle class that has led us to this point.

Immigration policy and the endless supply of cheap labour it has provided has allowed successive governments to essentially abandon large sections of the (mostly) white working class. If you sat all these oafs down in a classroom and educated them on the consequences that mass immigration has had on their lives then most of them would probably be further entrenched in their views.

Attacking hotels and looting is deeply wrong. Those responsible should see the inside of a cell for a few years. Some of them are undoubtedly acting out of bigotry. But they are not wrong to want less immigration. It simply isn't in their own interests, no matter how much those who have economically benefited from it tell them otherwise.

Many liberal middle class types voted Remain in 2016 and lost. The Leave vote was strong in white working class areas.

One of the net results of Brexit is that mostly white, mostly Catholic, mostly seasonal or transient immigrants have been replaced by mostly brown, mostly permanent immigrants from other cultures. And net migration has gone through the roof, rather than borders controlled.

Perhaps the white working class needs to reflect on that a bit?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

on radio 4 they just said that he had tweeted a hundred times over the weekend, why do you sympathise with this shit stirrer?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don’t think the issue is as binary as that, i think there is a big difference in their eyes between the medical professionals from overseas etc than the large amount of lone male refugees holed up in hotels and hostels across the country 🤷

Blaming people who have turned up in a dingy with f*** all for your ills is totally illogical.

My advice would be to try and meet some of these people and listen to their stories. It will be eye opening and unless you have a heart of stone you will want to help them.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’ve spoken to a range of “lone male” asylum seekers, and quite a few are doctors (or at least very well educated in their own country).
There was a Led by Donkeys video about an asylum seeker, who having got his asylum, paid for his training by cleaning in a hospital, to qualify as a doctor.
It was dated 21st August 2020, and his name is Hassan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

f*** me. This post is right up there with @Giraffe ’s blaming of Kier Starmer for the riots.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I met a lone male who was here in Australia, he spent his families saving on a boat journey from Indonesia. They would only afford to send one person.

The plan was that once he gain asylum and safety he could then bring his wife and kids over.

Our heartless governments stuck him in a detention centre for 6 years. How he held on to his mental health I will never know. By the time he got out and was given refugee status his family had been shifted from refugee camp to refugee camp and he couldn't find them.

When I met him he was delighted to have been given refugee status so he could work and save enough money to try and find his family.

It absolute beggars belief that somehow people have been persuade that people like this fella are some sort of threat.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just watching the news, and the reporting is shit. "There is anger" says a reporter as the cameras films various white gammon laughing outside a hotel as more gammon smash windows.

Anger? Another gammon gets shouty as he's held back by the police. Like a small child gets angry when he's stopped from eating more cake.

What a witless bunch of lardy oafs. Entirely reminiscent of your football 'lads' doing the 'hold me back' dance. It's a a larf innit. Anger, my arse.
For too many it will be a case of…

Nice sunny weekend weather.

No football on yet, just some crap Olympics on the telly.

Bored with nothing to do.

Back to work on Monday.

Season starts soon.

Remember them summer riots a few weeks back?

…but there’s linkages here and they should be more forensically exposed and people held to account.

I’m not sure what the UK is supposed to do when it comes to enough being enough (or whatever that means) as they are more likely to be contributing to the exchequer and less likely to be claiming benefits…

… but hey, none of these facts counted for anything during the referendum, so let them go.

Until people start to see their local communities being built back up, with great infrastructure, clean and safe streets, affordable prices and housing, access to education and health, then views won’t change.

Stop talking about immigration and start talking about what matters. Starve Farage and Yaxley Lennon of their political oxygen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I met a lone male who was here in Australia, he spent his families saving on a boat journey from Indonesia. They would only afford to send one person.

The plan was that once he gain asylum and safety he could then bring his wife and kids over.

Our heartless governments stuck him in a detention centre for 6 years. How he held on to his mental health I will never know. By the time he got out and was given refugee status his family had been shifted from refugee camp to refugee camp and he couldn't find them.

When I met him he was delighted to have been given refugee status so he could work and save enough money to try and find his family.

It absolute beggars belief that somehow people have been persuade that people like this fella are some sort of threat.
The vast majority of refugees simply want to work hard for a better life. I'd take them over those causing all the trouble in the UK any day.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The vast majority of refugees simply want to work hard for a better life. I'd take them over those causing all the trouble in the UK any day.

Just like anyone else, except in my experience far more grateful for what they have.

I did struggle to form a partnership up front with one fella I played football with but I'm not sure that's relevant here. A Northern Irish fella was just as difficult, could well have be me that was the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here