Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is your point that you have to go looking for such violence to find articles about it? Is it not absolute madness that there’s a “London Violence” tab at all!

It’s so out of control that 2 shootings and 2 stabbings don’t even make headline news anymore. I’ll say it again, it’s utterly out of control
What is the violence / murder rate in London compared to comparable cities across the globe with similar populations? Would be interesting to see.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
it's no use mate ....they are incapable of a cognitive , receptive , two way conversation ....know everything because they read it on a government website , have absolutely no interaction with any boat people whatsoever , i'm using boat people here because that is what the issue is here not immigrants from Cyprus , Italy , Greece ,Spain, Portugal , Denmark or Bulgaria who have jobs and are not a massive burden on the country
It’s easy when you live in a leafy Sussex village to finger point, I’ve noticed if a few travellers turn up in the local park though all hell breaks loose and the village is up in arms 🤣Two tier thinking when it comes to the uninvited.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not relating to the riots or cause of riots:

I hope no one is denying the knife crime epidemic, just check out:
https://benkinsella.org.uk/knife-crime-increases-by-4-percent-ons-july-2024/

IMG_2557.png
IMG_2558.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Got home safe again.

I think you and my son must be the luckiest two people in London. He's been there nearly 9 years now ever been threatened with a knife or gun and neither have me or Mrs Wz on our regular visits.

I'm guessing you're similar. What are the chances of that :wink:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think you and my son must be the luckiest two people in London. He's been there nearly 9 years now and never been threatened with a knife or gun.

I'm guessing you're similar. What are the chances of that :wink:
I've been here 25 years and apart from a drunk in Camden very very badly try and take my cash card (20 years ago), I'm not had a blink of trouble.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I did get my old dishwasher stolen last week which I had clumsily left outside the house for AO to pick up.

It didn't beat the record of the "60 second bath" as we used to call it.

And old iron, any old iron, any any any old iron.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It tends to be gang related.

On another issue, I see the wibble brigade on Twitter get very very irate when mental illness is mentioned.

I am SURROUNDED by mental health issues in London. I see it every day.

Impossible to know cause and effect. Invariably with narcotics or alcohol addiction or abuse in adults. Saw this close hand very recently, including a night in A&E (not for me) at the RSCH. They now have multiple security guards to protect folk, calm things down.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would like to see a Venn Diagram that showed the intersections between regular readers of the Daily Mail and Daily Express, or viewers of GB News, and those who believe London is overrun with violent crime.

I’m not a regular visitor these days, but have never had any problems there, and I have several friends still resident who report that London hasn’t changed much.

I questioned these reports of London having become a free for all crime zone, and a friend whose judgment I trust reports this as being down to (paraphrasing) gammons from the shires who have only ever been to London when their passport needs renewing, and hate the fact that Sadiq Khan is mayor.

London has always had, and will always have crime, but this consistent framing of London as some kind of no-go zone for political purposes, frankly embarrasses the right, and those who unthinkingly parrot it. They show their ignorance.
It was particularly prevalent when the Mayoral election was being held earlier this year. Apparently London was the knife crime capital of the world.

It‘s not even the highest in England, that’s Birmingham with a Conservative mayor.

I‘m not conflating the party politics of the cities but the misinformation from gammon accounts.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It tends to be gang related.

On another issue, I see the wibble brigade on Twitter get very very irate when mental illness is mentioned.

I am SURROUNDED by mental health issues in London. I see it every day.
I am going to switch sides here for a moment, and suggest that people that are fleeing persecution, or war, may have some mental health problems, so giving asylum to genuine refugees of this kind, might be detrimental to the UK.
And now I shall switch back, and say, let's show these people some humanity, and try and help them heal.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was particularly prevalent when the Mayoral election was being held earlier this year. Apparently London was the knife crime capital of the world.

It‘s not even the highest in England, that’s Birmingham with a Conservative mayor.

I‘m not conflating the party politics of the cities but the misinformation from gammon accounts.
Who live miles from London.

I saw some stats re Twitter that the vast majority of anti Kham racism came from outside the capital.

There was a lot of "our capital city" rhetoric well unless you pay council tax you are simply a guest and please take your litter home with you.

We are closed Wednesday afternoons.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Impossible to know cause and effect. Invariably with narcotics or alcohol addiction or abuse in adults. Saw this close hand very recently, including a night in A&E (not for me) at the RSCH. They now have multiple security guards to protect folk, calm things down.

Unfortunately mental health and 'care in the community' has been absolutely decimated as a result of austerity. It was always the silent one you could keep cutting and cutting kicking it into the long grass until it all kicks off years later.

I'm sure @The Clamp can tell a few stories given his experiences and it's those other poor sods who always seem to be at the sharp end, the Police who are left to pick up the pieces and try and deal with it :down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unfortunately mental health and 'care in the community' has been absolutely decimated as a result of austerity. It was always the silent one you could keep cutting and cutting kicking it into the long grass until it all kicks off years later.

I'm sure @The Clamp can tell a few stories given his experiences and it's those other poor sods who always seem to be at the sharp end, the Police who are left to pick up the pieces and try and deal with it

The frontline police cuts too. If I could pick just two things to escape post-crash austerity, it would be Surestart and the mad cut to the police.

The latter for so many reasons …. loss of experienced coppers, it gave a licence to steal, roads policing ended in most counties (not just tunnel vision for cheaper speed traps), victims faced lower odds of seeing justice.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
:facepalm: no it doesn't. off on a tangent but needs highlighting this is wrong. capitialism is about who owns things and prefers private to state, and the control that follows. it is directed by markets, and often market efficiency is considered as the be and end all, for determining price. that's not at all the same as saying capitalism relies on maximum efficency. largest company today, Apple, objectively makes things inefficently: the most expensive and over engineered product in the market. other manufacturers can do the same cheaper, or pitch to other price points, missing some features that no one asked for, to meet some market demand. entire industries employ millions to provide services we can do ourselfs, or do for entertainment, that's not for efficency. capitialism conceptually doesn't care, we do because we'd like more.

which sort of meanders back to the original point and topic, people want more than they can have, get irrate at "something" when they dont get it. discontent follows. we shouldn't project political ideology on to the supposed reasons for discontent. dont just tell them they are wrong, it causes further irritation.
This is what is wrong with the world imo. I'm over 50 now and I still remind myself of the truths of the adage "to be happy want what you have, not have what you want " yet i don't see that at all in many people younger than me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here