Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protesters

Dandyman

In London village.
Question for the Brightonians, if the incinerator is so wonderful why not place it in the middle of Brighton?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
To be fair, it had to be built somewhere and they picked one of the less charming places.

No, no they didn't. The incinerator sits right on the edge of the town completely dominating the end of the ouse valley. You can see it for miles, it completely dominates views as it's so much larger than anything else in the town.
Newhaven itself is run down but it sits at the middle of some spectacularly beautiful countryside and now some smug, corrupt councilllors who wouln't in a million years sanction aything like it close to where they live have shat all over a place which needs help not other peoples crap.

At least the incinerator means that there is no need to expand the landfill site at Beddingham or find alternative landraise sites to allow rubbish to be dumped all over the Low Weald.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
That is a Materials Recovery facility (for recycling) and a Waste Transfer Station, NOT an incinerator. It's where Brighton & Hove's waste is sorted, before some of it gets shipped off to Newhaven for incineration.

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Documents/Publications/South%20Downs/Literature/Hollingdean_MRF_Inform_May_2010.pdf

Oh my mistake haha, well then I definetly don't know what effects an incinerator has on people lives! my mistake

Oh my mistake haha, well then I definetly don't know what effects an incinerator has on people lives! my mistake
The interesting thing about the Hollingdean Waste Transfer Station is that the campaign mounted against it, before it was built, seems to have given a lot of local people the idea that it WAS an incinerator.

Incineration is an emotive topic. I've been at a public meeting where Norman Baker (Newhaven's MP, of course) made a speech in which he said that modern incineration was far preferable to landfill solutions to waste disposal. But guess who boycotted the official opening ceremony at the Newhaven incinerator today?

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
The interesting thing about the Hollingdean Waste Transfer Station is that the campaign mounted against it, before it was built, seems to have given a lot of local people the idea that it WAS an incinerator.

Incineration is an emotive topic. I've been at a public meeting where Norman Baker (Newhaven's MP, of course) made a speech in which he said that modern incineration was far preferable to landfill solutions to waste disposal. But guess who boycotted the official opening ceremony at the Newhaven incinerator today?

Everyone round here thought it was going to make the whole area stink, luckily it hasn't and nice double standards by Mr Baker

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Question for the Brightonians, if the incinerator is so wonderful why not place it in the middle of Brighton?

other than the fact theres no space, it doesnt suit the town's economy (tourism) and its an invalid question as this incinerator isnt in the "middle" of Newhaven. would be better to ask Brightonians if they'd like it built out to the North east of the town, say near Falmer...

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Newhaven - the only town I know of where they built the town centre shopping area on a traffic island. It's called planning but not very good planning.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On the subject of protests rather than incinerators I think the OP has a point. From anti-incinerator after the fact to Smash EDO (you haven't and anyway why not go and protest against the real weapons factories instead of the maker of a nut) to Doctors going on strike ("Save my £45,000 PA pension?" "f*** Off") protesting in this country can be ineffective and annoying.

This is one of the reasons I am still so proud of the struggle against the Archerlotti and for Falmer. It may have taken years and years but at the end of a very long day we did it. All so often protests that start off with the greatest and most just of targets end up with a couple of loonies holding a 'Down With This Sort Of Thing' banner.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Newhaven sounds lovely until you go there. I did a stint with the Alcohol dependency unit on Denton island in the 1990s. There was so much misery in the town that I used to want to get drunk at the end of my shift as well. It's like the place is cursed or something. The addition of a sewage works, garbage incinerator or industrial slaughterhouse woul probably only add to the local colour to be fair.

I used to wander around in that depressing little shopping precinct during breaks from the suicidal pissheads only to find the local shopkeepers and residents to be generally more miserable than the poor twats in the addiction centre.

They should just level the whole yard and put it out of its misery. Imagine if you were a French visitor disembarking in Newhaven...I would be tempted to get straight back on the ferry and head home for brioche and horse bollocks tout suite.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I was brought up in Newhaven but left aged 17 in 1981 and haven't been back. Would I be right in saying that it hasn't changed much in 31 years?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Newhaven sounds lovely until you go there. I did a stint with the Alcohol dependency unit on Denton island in the 1990s. There was so much misery in the town that I used to want to get drunk at the end of my shift as well. It's like the place is cursed or something. The addition of a sewage works, garbage incinerator or industrial slaughterhouse woul probably only add to the local colour to be fair.

I used to wander around in that depressing little shopping precinct during breaks from the suicidal pissheads only to find the local shopkeepers and residents to be generally more miserable than the poor twats in the addiction centre.

They should just level the whole yard and put it out of its misery. Imagine if you were a French visitor disembarking in Newhaven...I would be tempted to get straight back on the ferry and head home for brioche and horse bollocks tout suite.

Have you spent any time in Calais? 5 minutes of 'dodge the Vicky Pollard impersonator elbowing the Afghan refugee out of the way to save a fiver on WKD and Silk Cut' and I'd be pining for Stoke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here