Proof we're a small club?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Rather ridiculous celebration levels

The only thing I thought was ridiculous was the goading of the travelling Man City fans. They did nothing to deserve that. There was bloody millions of them in the Tap and the C&A beforehand, and a few after, all of whom wished us good luck in the next round. Top fans IMHO :clap:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Times of India mentioned Withdean as "ramshackle" :laugh:

city boy lee

Sep 25, 2008
2 points, if I can.

1 - While it's true we rested Robinho, SWP, Elano (for the most part) and we had no Petrov or Micah, this was by no means a reserve squad. It was fringe/squad players mixed with 1st teamers and the players on the park would have been expected by most city fans to pick up a fairly comfortable victory. I personally thought the side played was good enough on paper to be easily a higher mid table premiership team, so beating league one opposition should not have been beyond them.

2 - Celebrating does not make you a small club. I celebrated when we beat Midgetland on penos after a dire 2 leg performance. Enjoy it, you got one up on us and you deserve to bask in it. If we are being honest, it is a result nobody expected and it is media coverage you wouldn't have got otherwise, take it while you can, it might bring in some more fans and help you in the future. I know I'll be keeping an eye out for you now anyway.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Rather ridiculous celebration levels considering we took a Man City reserve side to penalties and by winning all we have achieved is another home game against Derby?

Great result, great night, but a bit OTT don't you think? Pitch invasions, Argus special, billions of nsc threads?
I've news for you pal, we ARE a small club. Currently a very small club when compared to regional rivals such as Palace, Pompey, Reading and Southampton.

However I do know what you're saying; it was an early-round match of the lesser cup competition which we're not going to win anyway. Also the really big boys don't take it that seriously, and despite all the comments about modern squads it was not Hughes's first-choice team. And we didn't actually 'win' the match, only the penalty shoot-out.

So looking at it dispassionately then, yes, it's all a bit OTT. But if you REALLY think that then you're already dead - emotionally at least. Even the heads-down, no-nonsense, bread-and-butter "I'd rather get three points against Bristol Rovers" merchants have admitted there was something special about Wednesday. For a start when was the last time as a third-tier team we beat a top tier one? And as has been pointed out it's rasied the profile of the club, it made Withdean, at least for one night, feel like a PROPER football ground (that alone was worth a pitch invasion), it's part-way answered the anti-Falmer lobby who've asked why we need a 23,000 capacity stadium we when only get 5000 crowds, and it's had an evangelical effect on the local kids - far more than scraping a home league win would have done.

It's the 'magic of the cup' and it can't be explained rationally. Just enjoy the moment. They don't come along that often, trust me.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
The media only went OTT because it was against the Premier League's new rich kids. We wouldn't have got 10% of the coverage if we'd beaten, say, Fulham or Bolton.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The media only went OTT because it was against the Premier League's new rich kids. We wouldn't have got 10% of the coverage if we'd beaten, say, Fulham or Bolton.

I don't think there would have been 10% of the reaction - both at Withdean and on here - if we'd beaten Fulham or Bolton.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
"The Times called Withdean 'antiquated' - it's only nine years old."

I've just checked my running report and the rewrite and I never used the word, nor can I think of any reason why I would have. Having said that, Withdean itself is pretty old, even though we've only been playing there since 1999. Remember the grandstand at the railway end? I believe it was built for a davis Cup tenni s match in the 1930s, but please correct me if I'm wrong ...

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Rather ridiculous celebration levels considering we took a Man City reserve side to penalties and by winning all we have achieved is another home game against Derby?

Great result, great night, but a bit OTT don't you think? Pitch invasions, Argus special, billions of nsc threads?

your ban still in effect, eh?

wonder if this account will become somewhat quieter in the next few days.. :glare:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Theres some sad miserable fucks on this thread :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here