Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Promotion

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
So we're in the Play-Off zone, we've got 12 points from the last 15 and clearly the club wants to go up. The team today would have been crucified in the Premiership.

Take, for example, the following:
Man City 5 against Norwich
Blackburn 4 against Swansea
Arsenal 4 against Wigan
Chelsea 3 against Newcastle
Spurs 3 against Bolton

We'd become the whipping boys. Are we really ready to go up? Don't get me wrong, I want to see us in the Prem and eventually in Europe(!) but today's result simply papered over the cracks, as did the win against Derby.

Or should we prepare ourselves to become a WBA type yo-yo club?!

dgh123

Aug 7, 2011
I think a couple of seasons in the championship would be more beneficial for the club than going straight up to the prem. Don't get me wrong I would love to be in the prem but going up before we are ready wouldn't be good!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
i have always believed you should go for it while you can-all this build nonsense? players and managers,even fans leave before the job is done-lets go for it(i think we are) will we do it?

a few games ago,it was all doom and gloom,now it's a bit better.

Mid table would be no bad thing and a little flirt with the play offs if needed....

consolidation is key-purely financial reasoning..

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
So we're in the Play-Off zone, we've got 12 points from the last 15 and clearly the club wants to go up.

But I don't think that they want to go up this season. They are investing heavily in the future and appear to want to sustain a presence in the top flight eventually rather than splurging money on players to take us up this year at all costs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The scary thing is that we could be in this league position come the day of reckoning and it's anybody's shout once in the play offs. I suspect Mr Bloom would have to dig deep if we did make it up though

Would he though ?

The revenue is massive in the Premiership and there would players falling over themselves to come here, however which ones Poyet would actually want is another thing entirely.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
We'd become the whipping boys. Are we really ready to go up? Don't get me wrong, I want to see us in the Prem and eventually in Europe(!) but today's result simply papered over the cracks, as did the win against Derby.
Firstly, as much as I love the club we aren't good enough to go up.

Secondly, if we did then keep the same players and with the money we would get for that year and the various parachute payment we can give Tony all his money back, leaving us with a free Stadium.

TB

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
To be honest i thought we were crap today yet we still won. We are winning games without actually having to get out of 3rd gear. A few weeks ago we were looking like we were in free fall now we are one of the divisions form teams again. The play offs is definately achievable , when we really start to get our act together we can really damage teams in this division. If we had a fully fit squad then we have a potential top 5 team, with a couple of additions in January then we could achieve the impossible

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I think a couple of seasons in the championship would be more beneficial for the club than going straight up to the prem. Don't get me wrong I would love to be in the prem but going up before we are ready wouldn't be good!

This!!

WHAT A SEASON SO FAR....but I think its too soon for us at this juncture, we need to progress and consolidate at the same time!

We still have to get through Decemeber yet so lets not jump the gun!

:albion2:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For the last ten years, we've been a 'bounce' team - bouncing between the Championship and League 1. It's been exciting, and hasn't done us any harm. We are now a genuine Championship club - no longer the plucky little minnows punching above our weight. We're not the biggest - or even the best - but we're well up the ladder.

What would be wrong with spending the next few seasons bouncing between the Premiership and the Championship? Same wonderful roller-coaster ride that we've known and loved for ten years, with the added bonus of huge parachute payments. Sounds good to me! I don't expect us to go up this season............but I'd love it if we did. One of the happiest moments of my life was listening to Sports Report when the results were read out, and the first name on the radio was...........Brighton and Hove Albion!

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
we are a very young team so 1 - 2 even 3 years here would be good to train the players our style better then we should be ready for the prem if we can get there but we would also need to invest big if we are to take it seriously like qpr

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
If we went up (don't think it's likely) we might very well struggle quite badly and go straight back down again. However the payday BONANZA and parachute payments, as well as the heightened status and reputation as a 'just down from the prem' club (attracting players) are the reasons that I think this (admittedly hypothetical) premise that it'd be better to 'build' while in the Championship is plain stupid. It's hard to build like that - you'll end up losing superior players along the way (Dunk potentially, etc)... you have to just go for it!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
If we went up (don't think it's likely) we might very well struggle quite badly and go straight back down again. However the payday BONANZA and parachute payments, as well as the heightened status and reputation as a 'just down from the prem' club (attracting players) are the reasons that I think this (admittedly hypothetical) premise that it'd be better to 'build' while in the Championship is plain stupid. It's hard to build like that - you'll end up losing superior players along the way (Dunk potentially, etc)... you have to just go for it!

Yes the payments would be good but who on earth would want to watch us be the premiership cannon fodder and whipping boys....one step at a time, we wil get there!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Totally correct. Looking at the likes of Blackpool, Burnley and Hull, and in earlier seasons Barnsley and Swindon, going up and coming straight back down hasn't done them any good really, has it? I would rather we built as West Bromwich Albion have, even if we did go up and come down for a few seasons.

i have always believed you should go for it while you can-all this build nonsense? players and managers,even fans leave before the job is done-lets go for it(i think we are) will we do it?

a few games ago,it was all doom and gloom,now it's a bit better.

Mid table would be no bad thing and a little flirt with the play offs if needed....

consolidation is key-purely financial reasoning..

I take your earlier points, but your third sentence would suit me just fine.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Give me a seasons worth of whipping boys anyday. It would be immense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here