Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Promotion rivals,you fear ?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
It's pretty foolish to keep writing Bournemouth off. They've only spent 5 games outside the top six all season, they've been second for longer than any of the other teams. They have a winning mentality and the experience of lasting the pace and wining promotion from last season. By constantly writing them off we're doing everything that we accuse SCC and sheff weds fans of doing. They're definitely a top six side and have as good a shout as any at a top two place.

Apart from Bournemouth I think the two biggest threats are Huddersfield and Southampton. Dark Horse, IMO, are Charlton and Peterborough. I can't see anyone else finishing in the top two.

Absolutely

Bournemouth, have been fantastic all season and i definately think they will be there or thereabouts.
Huddersfield are in excellent form and are playing some lovely football, they will be in the shake up too.
Southampton have a lot of work to do, but are capable of doing it.
Charlton are in a honeymoon period with their new manager, BWP is a decent signing who will help them push on, i just feel they have lacked consistancy so far. If Powell can change that they will also be a threat.

Peterborough need to shore up a terrible defence and with the window now shut i cant see them doing it play-offs at best,
Oldham have come good and i like Paul Dickov but have they peaked too early?

Sheff Weds, No chance imo.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On current form, Albion, Southampton, Huddersfield and Bournemouth have ALL won 5 and drawn 2 of their last 8 games, and those are the three I worry about the most. Charlton have also recently built up a head of steam, but I think they are far too limited to be an automatic promotion threat.

Personally, I think the top 2 will come from those 4, and concern me in this order:
Southampton
Huddersfield
Bournemouth

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The only promotion side I fear is us... because we can only lose it (or win it) ourselves, without any help from anyone else.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Huddersfield
Southampton
Bournemouth
Charlton

Peterborough have got an outside chance but their defence is still far too atrocious to have much of a chance.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The only promotion side I fear is us... because we can only lose it (or win it) ourselves, without any help from anyone else.

This.

It is entirely in our own hands, and if we keep winning then we will not be caught.

It's a great position to be in.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I can't understand the mentality of writing bournemouth off. They beat us and are clearly a decent side. I see them and huddersfield as the biggest threat

I can see why people are syaing this. They lost their manager and they have lost a key player recently. It is possible that they are still performing due a burst of blitz spirit under their player/management. Not a bad side but two body blows that may well tell when the euphoria and "all pulling together" is no longer enough. If a few results go against Bmuff, the wheels could fall off. Personally, I think they'll be in the mix.

As for the biggest threat? Everything below us is a dog fight now. Teams taking it in turns to string a few wins together (but no one doing much better than us - we are second with 4-1-1, Hudds top of the form table with 5-1-0). As long as we can keep averaging around 2 points a game, it doesn't really matter what happens behind us.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Bournemouth's next 6 games could be season defining for them...
Walsall (a)
Bris R (a)
Hudds (h)
Sheff W (h)
Dag & R (a)
Oldham (h)
....all 6 are tricky as they involve teams that for their own reasons will be fighting hard. If they can get 10 or 12 points from these I'd mark them up as a definite top 3 side.

Other than that Hudds look like a side ready to take off - especially as their cup run has ended.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Don`t fear anybody but in my mind our only serious rivals are Huddersfield and Southampton.
Could do with Huddersfield going through a bad patch, don`t think Bournemouth will stay in the top two for much longer but expect them to make play offs. I suppose Charlton and Peterborough will make up the other play off places but Charlton could prove to be more of a threat and hopefully their two games against Southampton will see both sides dropping points, preferably two draws and they were due to play each other the same time we play Dagenham.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It's pretty foolish to keep writing Bournemouth off. They've only spent 5 games outside the top six all season, they've been second for longer than any of the other teams. They have a winning mentality and the experience of lasting the pace and wining promotion from last season. By constantly writing them off we're doing everything that we accuse SCC and sheff weds fans of doing. They're definitely a top six side and have as good a shout as any at a top two place.

Apart from Bournemouth I think the two biggest threats are Huddersfield and Southampton. Dark Horse, IMO, are Charlton and Peterborough. I can't see anyone else finishing in the top two.

this.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I wouldnt rule anyone out in the top 8 at present.

Why people continue to say Bournemouth will fall away I dont know, you dont get to be 2nd in the League in February unless your a decent side.

If we finish above Soton, Hudds and Bournemouth we will be up !

Long way to go though.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Huddersfield and Southampton. They were the favourites at the start of the season and will continue to be the biggest threat. I am still convinced Bournemouth will take a dive at some point

Ditto this ^, with 'udders the biggest worry. We'll start to see the effect of Howe leaving baldmuff soon I should imagine

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Why people continue to say Bournemouth will fall away I dont know, you dont get to be 2nd in the League in February unless your a decent side.

A decent side that has lost its manager. Imagine the panic amongst the fans if we lost Gus! (Not hard to imagine given the general panic every time another manager gets sacked, no matter how unlikely it is that he would be interested/considered for it)

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Mate of mine at work is a Charlton fan. He said as far as he is concerned its a race for second as he is convinced we are going up as champions as we keep getting results!

Thatll do for me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here