Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pro40 League

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
It's the latest buggering-about with what used to be (and what I still call) the Sunday League. It's come down from 45 to 40 overs, and the teams in each division play each other only once, and then it's something like one-up, one-down, plus a Conference-style playoff between second top in the 2nd and second bottom in the first.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Just the Totesport League with 5 overs chopped off, and a few rule changes/schedule changes.

25th July (Tuesday), Sussex vs Warks, live on SKY:clap2:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
back to the 80's, use to love going to Hastings, Eastbourne, Hove and Horsham for the Sunday League matches, Imran Khan, Garth Le Roux, The Wells, Paul Parker etc.

The ECB have finally realised - if it aint broke dont fix it

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's an attempt to create a progression between the very popular 20-20 format and proper cricket.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Withdean Wanderer said:
25th July (Tuesday), Sussex vs Warks, live on SKY:clap2:
Sod sky, I'll be there in person drinking a steady flow of Magners.

:drink: (Please note this is NOT a real glass of Magners).

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Trigger said:
Sod sky, I'll be there in person drinking a steady flow of Magners.

:drink: (Please note this is NOT a real glass of Magners).

as will i - depending on work

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
gazwag said:
back to the 80's, use to love going to Hastings, Eastbourne, Hove and Horsham for the Sunday League matches, Imran Khan, Garth Le Roux, The Wells, Paul Parker etc.

The ECB have finally realised - if it aint broke dont fix it

We used to wear a yellow kit, and our old sponsor was Marydown.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
That was a bit after Garth le Roux etc. That was only 13 years ago -- the glory days of Franklyn Stephenson (who is still my third-fave overseas player ever, after Mushy and Murray).

I think I've still got Keith Greenfield's 1993-era yellow Sunday League shirt which I bought at an auction.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why, when international one-day matches are 50 overs a side, do we have a league with matches 40 overs a side?

I find this creation ludicrous. Imagine if Premiership league matches lasted 70 minutes, rather than 90?

Proably because 40 overs a side fits very nicely into Sky's evening schedules (start at 4.40should finish around 10pm) whareas 50 overs a side is aright bugger to timetable into evening schedues (start at 2 and finish at 10)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here