Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Harry to serve in Iraq

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Prince Harry to go to Iraq

So "plucky" Harry is going out to Iraq to serve with Our Brave Boys.

Hmmm, I wonder which major front line area he'll be sent to? :rolleyes:

Or do you think it'll be a cosy reconnaissance trip somewhere near the border, just him, his troop, and his Royal protection officers?

Cue Daily Express/Mail special pullouts detailing how courageous Harry is to want to serve with his men. I'm sure he's a decent soldier, but I fail to see how it was ever even an issue about whether he should go to Iraq, or Afghanistan, he signed up with the Army, therefore he should get exactly the same treatment as the rest of the forces.

But I can't see it somehow. I bet the mothers of the rest of the lads in his regiment are delighted he's around, as they can be reasonably confident their boys won't be going anywhere too scary for the time being.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They just got rid of one non-elected, money grabbing, work shy bastard who likes to treat his people as subjects rather than citizens. Poor Bastards.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
edna krabappel said:
Prince Harry to go to Iraq

So "plucky" Harry is going out to Iraq to serve with Our Brave Boys.

Hmmm, I wonder which major front line area he'll be sent to? :rolleyes:

Or do you think it'll be a cosy reconnaissance trip somewhere near the border, just him, his troop, and his Royal protection officers?

Cue Daily Express/Mail special pullouts detailing how courageous Harry is to want to serve with his men. I'm sure he's a decent soldier, but I fail to see how it was ever even an issue about whether he should go to Iraq, or Afghanistan, he signed up with the Army, therefore he should get exactly the same treatment as the rest of the forces.

But I can't see it somehow. I bet the mothers of the rest of the lads in his regiment are delighted he's around, as they can be reasonably confident their boys won't be going anywhere too scary for the time being.

not a fan then? No reason why he wouldn't go upfront, wherever the 'front' is. Also, considering it's a guerilla war they're fighting, it would be far safer not to send him at all if they were that worried.

You may not like him but he's doing a job I wouldn't want to do in a country that I wouldn't want to be in. You do realise that when on duty, the officers are removed (according to an article I read recently by John Keegan, I think).

Save yuor cynicism for Blair and his war-mongering cronies. Fair play to Harry for not shirking.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Re: Re: Prince Harry to serve in Iraq

Buzzer said:
not a fan then? No reason why he wouldn't go upfront, wherever the 'front' is. Also, considering it's a guerilla war they're fighting, it would be far safer not to send him at all if they were that worried.

You may not like him but he's doing a job I wouldn't want to do in a country that I wouldn't want to be in. You do realise that when on duty, the officers are removed (according to an article I read recently by John Keegan, I think).

Save yuor cynicism for Blair and his war-mongering cronies. Fair play to Harry for not shirking.

f*** Harry. Anyone with half a brain cell knows he is not going to be put in any danger. He will hang around an officers camp practicing drill and eating imported steak. I will apologise the day I see him with his war face on, leading a bayonet charge.

It was the same when Diana was praised for walking into a mine field that had already been cleare behind four massive blokes. It's all for show.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Queen Elizabeth 1, Henry VIII and now Prince Harry - all ginger royalty connected with the phrase "Off with their head"...

:(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The easy option would have been not to send him at all so it's a little unfair to snipe at him. I know I wouldn't have wanted to go within a 1000 miles of a war zone at his age, or ever, thinking about it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Icy Gull said:
The easy option would have been not to send him at all so it's a little unfair to snipe at him.
I don't buy that. He's in the army so it would a little too convenient not to send him at all.

Much better to let the pro-Royal media (sadly including the BBC) understand that he's going to Iraq (but then ensure his safety once he's there)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
I don't buy that. He's in the army so it would a little too convenient not to send him at all.

Much better to let the pro-Royal media (sadly including the BBC) understand that he's going to Iraq (but then ensure his safety once he's there)

I know someone who was at Sandhurst with him who has been posted to Germany not Iraq or Afganistan. Just because he's in the army and a royal shouldn't mean he automatically gets sent to where the action is, does it?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
cardboard said:
Kick them out back to Germany

yeah - along with 4th and 5th generation jews, blacks and pakis eh?

Why is racism and anti-semitism okay when it's left-wing but not when it's right-wing?

(and before anyone asks, I refer to the derision of the British Royal Family for not being "British" and the anti-semitism shown by the pro-Palestinian lobby. These views tend to be held by the same sort of person. The type of person who also goes on about the BNP being Nazis. I just don't get it).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll always be cynical when it comes to a family of unelected privileged spongers heading the state.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Good on him. I am sure he has the option to turn down the chance to go to Iraq, something that 99.99% of the Army do not. Yet, he has chosen to go for whatever reasons.

I am indifferent to the Royal Family, but good on Harry. :clap:

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Buzzer said:
yeah - along with 4th and 5th generation jews, blacks and pakis eh?

Why is racism and anti-semitism okay when it's left-wing but not when it's right-wing?

(and before anyone asks, I refer to the derision of the British Royal Family for not being "British" and the anti-semitism shown by the pro-Palestinian lobby. These views tend to be held by the same sort of person. The type of person who also goes on about the BNP being Nazis. I just don't get it).

I edited my post 4 mins before you replied

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barrel of Fun said:
Good on him. I am sure he has the option to turn down the chance to go to Iraq, something that 99.99% of the Army do not. Yet, he has chosen to go for whatever reasons.

I am indifferent to the Royal Family, but good on Harry. :clap:

Fair play to The Ginger Prince. Insisted on no special treatment else he was going to resign his commission :clap:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
cardboard said:
I edited my post 4 mins before you replied

I know - I was in the middle of some work whilst replying. Saw your edit after I'd posted mine. Still a valid question though, why you don't seem to think they're British enough for you.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
bit of a dumb move I reckon. If he is anywhere near the front line surely its just going to put all his colleagues at more risk. what a coup prince Harry would be for a suicide bomber
pointless

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here