Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Harry 'secret' war service exposed by US site

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
'breaking news' on DRUDGE REPORT 2008

isnt he at enough risk, being in Afghanistan? (being ginger can't help, neither..):dunce:

here's how Sky reported the leak-

Prince Harry has been fighting the Taliban on the front line in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.
The 23-year-old Household Cavalry officer has spent the past 10 weeks secretly serving in war-ravaged Helmand Province.
Harry said: "Going from bullet magnet to anti-bullet magnet, most of the guys were pretty bummed I was here because nothing was happening for the first few days. But things are picking up now."

Harry in AfghanistanThe deployment had been cloaked in secrecy under a news blackout deal agreed across the UK media to prevent details reaching the Taliban and endangering Harry and his comrades.

But the arrangement broke down today after news was leaked out on the US website the Drudge Report.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The BBC were running with the line that an Austrailian site first disclosed Harry in Afghanistan before the American site went with it ?
:bigwave:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Whatever your views on the UK's involvement it's a damn brave thing these guys and girls are doing over there. Good on Harry just because he didn't have to go. :)

Watching the recent Ross Kemp series on Afghanistan and the loss of young lives shows what the forces go through everyday on deployment.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Credit where it's very much due to him, there's no doubt he could have avoided going if he'd wanted to.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The news site that went against the rest of the media black-out deserves to be sued. Why did they run the story? Yes they got a bit of kudos today and a few extra visitors but to what end? Tomorrow they'll run some other story. The whole thing stinks and someone's life is in danger because of this leak. They should have waited until he was home before running the story. This has really annoyed me.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Any one see channel 4 news. They're trying to push an angle that the public will lose trust in the media over this, cos we've all been lied to. I find that a pretty ridiculous conclusion. Personally it's gone some way to restoring my opinion of the papers as they've actually done the right thing for a change. I'd have thought most people feel the same way.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
well done harry

following in ya uncle andy's footsteps

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Love the breaking news headline, after it was on the telly.

Oh yeah it's great. If the enemy even IMAGINE that one of our Royals are among the British troops, they could well escalate their attacks, trying to kill as many of ours as possible.

Lovely and brave and all that.
Example; Do we really need The Hope Diamond buried on Brighton Beach, so every enterprising person in Britain can descend on the city and go digging in the stones?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Oh yeah it's great. If the enemy even IMAGINE that one of our Royals are among the British troops, they could well escalate their attacks, trying to kill as many of ours as possible.

QUOTE]

So they're not trying to kill as many as possible already then?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be interesting to know if there was a 'D' notice served on the media by the MoD or if they just came to a cosy arrangement among themselves. Well done to the Drudge Report sez THPP, who still remembers when you couldn't buy 'Spycatcher' in the UK but you could, and did, buy it at the foreign airport of your choice. Freedom of information innit.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Would be interesting to know if there was a 'D' notice served on the media by the MoD or if they just came to a cosy arrangement among themselves. Well done to the Drudge Report sez THPP, who still remembers when you couldn't buy 'Spycatcher' in the UK but you could, and did, buy it at the foreign airport of your choice. Freedom of information innit.

Hmmm. I think this puts our troops at even more risk than they are at normally. That can't be defended under the banner of freedom of information. And besides, what freedom of information is there when it comes to miltary operations anyway?

QUOTE]

So they're not trying to kill as many as possible already then?

Figure it out - you are a soldier in WWII regularly assaulting enemy positions on several fronts, when you hear that Joseph Goebbels happens to be encamped in one of those fronts just as a fine example to the common German fighting men, and to Hitler himself. Hey, what a great guy Joe is, spurring on the regular guys and heralding the war effort against you and your fellow fighters.

Interested in being the one who plugs the propaganda at the source, score a major enemy scalp .... or not particularly bovvered, and let's make another cuppa and talk about it?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Watching the report BBC news, I think that must be the first ever time I've heard a member of the royal family swear. Bound to be someone moaning about that next.
:)

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Figure it out - you are a soldier in WWII regularly assaulting enemy positions on several fronts, when you hear that Joseph Goebbels happens to be encamped in one of those fronts just as a fine example to the common German fighting men, and to Hitler himself. Hey, what a great guy Joe is, spurring on the regular guys and heralding the war effort against you and your fellow fighters.

Interested in being the one who plugs the propaganda at the source, score a major enemy scalp .... or not particularly bovvered, and let's make another cuppa and talk about it?

Grrrrrreat example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here