Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premiership - or am I havin' a laugh?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
OK, the sun's out, Falmer's getting closer, Micky's back and a bloke can dream. Given that Micky's 3-year challenge involves getting us back to the Championship, how realistic is a 5-year plan to get the Albion into the Premiership?

Am I dreaming ... or is it actually a possibility? If Reading, Wigan and Watford can do it, after all ... ???

Last edited:

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
i actually said that to history class today and i was shot down and everybody laughed, even my teacher [a plymouth fan] mocked me by betting a £1000 that we wouldnt. I got stick the rest of the 2 hours. :(

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
NURSE! I think someone needs to be back on the tablets!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
i actually said that to history class today and i was shot down and everybody laughed, even my teacher [a plymouth fan] mocked me by betting a £1000 that we wouldnt. I got stick the rest of the 2 hours. :(

Your teacher is running a book? Take the bet. If it comes in you win £1000, if it doesn't then you can get him sacked.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Jan 73, Bamber takes over a club adrift at the bottom of Division 2 and promises Division 1 football in 5 years. He failed...it took us 6.

I know, different times, a much less even playing field, but if Bristol City, Hull and others can get within reach it is tough but not impossible. The really hard part is getting a team which can survive at that level.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
We need a budget to match the ones that Reading and Wigan had, then and ONLY then can we start thiking about a '5 year plan'

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Jan 73, Bamber takes over a club adrift at the bottom of Division 2 and promises Division 1 football in 5 years. He failed...it took us 6.

I know, different times, a much less even playing field, but if Bristol City, Hull and others can get within reach it is tough but not impossible. The really hard part is getting a team which can survive at that level.

The tough part is having enough money to get there.

B.H.A. Brady

Sussex by the Sea!
Mar 29, 2008
Sussex
How about a 10 year plan to win the Premier League!

And then 15 year plan to win European Cup

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm just happy that the club has explicitly said they're now going for promotion to the Championship. Hardly got a single mention in the season just gone ???

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
On the issue of finance, it's interesting listening to a mate of mine who's a Fulham fan explaining that so much of their away travel is subsidised by Mr Harrods. He took his young lad up to the Man City game - two coach tickets + two match tickets: total £25.

Trouble is: how do you get the high level of investment needed without the high level of interference? And can we genuinely attract the 20,000 crowd again - even with Falmer and a side in the Championship with higher aspirations?

I look back fondly on the glory days of the late 70s with 25-30,000 jammed into the Goldstone. But those were pre-Sky, pre-internet, simpler days when football was cheap and life was simpler. Wasn't it?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure I want to support a Premiership club.

I would honestly rather we get to the Championship and do well enough to regularly be in the top half, maybe playoffs.

Would i want us to do a "Derby"? No thank you.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

I would honestly rather we get to the Championship and do well enough to regularly be in the top half, maybe playoffs.

I want us to be the best we can. I would rather get in to the premiership and get relegated the next season, having had a good time seeing the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo playing, then be a nearly club in the championship.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I want us to be the best we can. I would rather get in to the premiership and get relegated the next season, having had a good time seeing the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo playing, then be a nearly club in the championship.

Agreed and the extra tele and league money would help us no end to help us bounce back up

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I wouldn't be so bold to say when we will end up getting to the top flight... but with all due respect to the clubs i'm about to talk about, here are examples to compare with:

Wigan / Reading - Are they bigger clubs than us? Look what a new stadium did for them and how they managed to sail up the leagues after 25 years in the doldrums

Hull / Bristol City: Are THEY bigger clubs than us? On the brink of glory... didn't we play Hull in one of the first evening matches at Withdean in 1999?...

So why not us in the nearish future...?

Last edited:

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!

When we got to the old First Division it was brilliant watching all these players that I'd seen on Match Of The Day, when I was a wide-eyed 13 year old :afro:

I'd love to see the likes of Chelsea, Man. U, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. at Falmer!! I'd rather get promoted/win championships, get relegated, and promoted again, than have mid-table medocrity. And being Albion supporters we certainly haven't been mediocre in the last few years. We've either been very good, or reasonably shit :clap2:

:albion1: The only premiership team that I'd like to support is definitely Brighton & Hove Albion!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have been following the Albion for over 30 years, in that time we have had (by my reckoning) six promotions and six relegations, including to and from the old division one...yes we were in division three when I became an Albion fan, the only difference was that there was an expectation that we were on the verge of something special, I think that feeling is starting to return.

I would boldly suggest that sometime in the next 30 years we will play in the Premiership, on the law of averages it is fairly likely, to survive for four seasons would be nothing short of a miracle but they do happen...we have to believe that!

Oh and seagultonian, I would agree with you about the very good bit, but can I raise your reasonably shit to completely shit!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here