Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premiership Flops at World Cup

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The list is endless, with Tevez and Robinho being the only players who have raised their game, not hard to do for the latter I suppose

Torres tonight looked a different player, completely ineffective.

So are they all tired or is the Premiership just not as good as Sky keep telling us?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the only people i've heard who say the "Prem is the best in the world" are:

- players who currently play in it
- Sky Sports
- English tabloid Press

its good yeah...but best in the world? i'm not so sure

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003

- Sky Sports
- English tabloid Press

Agreed

Monty

Feb 21, 2008

- Sky Sports
- English tabloid Press

Do you agree the best players in the world play in Europe? If so, you cant argue with the Premierships record in Europe over the last fews years (excluding last years Champions league).

Apart from Barca and Mardrid, the Spanish League is pretty poor.

The premier league aint great, but name a better one?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Do you agree the best players in the world play in Europe? If so, you cant argue with the Premierships record in Europe over the last fews years (excluding last years Champions league).

oh yeah not doubting that, I just dont think it is the best, probably on par with Serie A IMO....but then again what makes a great league? I loved last seasons League 1 line-up.....this coming season could prove to be just as exciting so to me we (BHA) could be in the bets league in the world for all I care :)

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
oh yeah not doubting that, I just dont think it is the best, probably on par with Serie A IMO....but then again what makes a great league? I loved last seasons League 1 line-up.....this coming season could prove to be just as exciting so to me we (BHA) could be in the bets league in the world for all I care :)

Agreed, I can see 7-8 teams fighting for top a two finish this year in League One. cant say that about the Premiership or Serie A.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
i raised this point of which premier league players have done well and only Tevez stands out.. remember robinho has had a 6 month loan at Santos

interesting stats - only 16 goals by premier league players

only Tevez has more then one

and only 7 goals by players of the 'big four'

I argee with the statement that the premier league isnt the best league in the world and cant wait for league one to start. To be honest i prefer the championship over the premier league.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Apart from Chelsea and Man Utd the premier league is also pretty poor. The best players in the world are not in the premier league despite what Sky keep telling us

Italy and Spain have better players in their leagues, and so it seems do the South American countries.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
The list is endless, with Tevez and Robinho being the only players who have raised their game, not hard to do for the latter I suppose

Torres tonight looked a different player, completely ineffective.

So are they all tired or is the Premiership just not as good as Sky keep telling us?

thought Park played well?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
How good a league is can be judged on various things:

- how competitive it is
- the quality of the players
- how level the playing field is
- how it benefits the national side
- how it spreads its money
- how it helps other leagues in the same country
- how it treats the fans of clubs in the league
- how it encourages clubs to bring through youth players

for me, the premier league has one of these things - quality players, other than that it's not great, and when you consider most of the quality players play for "the big 4" the picture looks even worse. the prem has three of the best club teams in the world, aside from that it hasn't got much else that can be seen as good.

i'm not sure how loads of people continue to say it's the best in terms of quality as well ( i don't because i'm in no position to), unless you watch every other top league regularly (serie a, la liga, bundesliga, ligue one) i don't think you're in a fair position to judge. ok, you may watch the best teams from these league's compete in the champions league, but there is no way you can judge the whole quality of a league just by the top 2/3 teams that compete in the champions league. england's top side may be better than spain's top side, but spain's tenth best side may have more quality than england's tenth best side. you need to assess the quality of the whole league to reach a valid conclusion on which has more quality. if someone is in a position to do that, then i'd love to hear their point of view.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
Apart from Chelsea and Man Utd the premier league is also pretty poor. The best players in the world are not in the premier league despite what Sky keep telling us

Italy and Spain have better players in their leagues, and so it seems do the South American countries.

argeed and the top players that sky tell us about def arent english, england (as a nation) dont have any world class players at this time

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
thought Park played well?

But how many games did he play last season?

I think my main point is that for lots playing in the premiership the world cup is just like another game against international players and therefore no big deal. They don't raise their game because it's the same old, same old and they've had enough of it and want to enjoy their summer. I know that's wrong but that's the way it is I ama fraid.

That's why the South Americans have done so much better than the rest as they testing themselves and raising their game. International football is still the most important thing to them. It just isn't for our premiership stars, Tevez aside who is playing for his idol I suspect.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Barring England, there aren't many major flops from the premier leaugue.

I'd class Heitinga, Robinho, Tevez, Kuyt, Mascherano, Drogba (after injury), Skrtel, Carvahlo, Park, Lee Chung Yong, Belhadj, Boateng as having good tournaments.

Van Persie still the main man in Holland up front, but has been a little wayward.
Vidic did OK, but not great. Cahill got a very harsh red card first game then came back from suspension third game and scored a cracking header.

Torres has been the biggest flop but hasn't looked fit at all.

Hardly anyone has really stood out for me this world cup apart form a handful of names..

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
clint dempsey did OK as did Ryan Nelson in an overachieving NZ team.Dos Santos
hasnt done much wrong for Mexico.

Flops-definately Evra,Gallas and Anelka

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
the premiership is as good, if not better than seria a and la liga.

the bottom 10 teams in both those leagues are championship status.

the thing that makes our league the best is that it is mostly sold out and even the lowest clubs have massive support and history.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
the premiership is as good, if not better than seria a and la liga.

the bottom 10 teams in both those leagues are championship status.

the thing that makes our league the best is that it is mostly sold out and even the lowest clubs have massive support and history.

I think that's overstating it a bit. The bottom half of the Premiership was awful last year. West Ham stayed up only because no team below them could put 2 results together in the last 10 games. Blackburn finished 10th. Stoke just below them. The quality, even of the top teams, is questionable. Chelsea are not as good as Inter or Barca and I don't think there's much difference between what's below them in each league.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
In 2008-2009 european football the top 20 average attendances contained 9 German clubs and 3 English. From I what can understand German football is cheap to watch, very competitive and has terraces, what's not to like?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here