Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League to Go Ahead

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I am presuming clubs have to provide some evidence of matches called off else clubs could call them off for non-covid reasons, in fact the PNE manager was suggesting as much on the radio yesterday. I think the opposition were Barnsley but I might be wrong.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The Premier League was always going to go ahead as they can't afford to piss off the TV companies and the financial clout that goes with it.
Be interesting if Boris poo-poos the PL decision with a lockdown or will games just revert back to being played behind closed doors with fourteen fit players and a bigger viewing audience due to non attendance in the stadium.
Personally I think cancel until the 3rd of the FA Cup and play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday to catch up only problem being teams in Europe.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
They don’t need a vote if City/United/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal/Newcastle want it their way.

I would think Newcastle would like the season to be frozen until mid feb by which time they would get 6 or 7 players in and at least talking to each other....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can I just be a lone voice here and say (transport issues completely excepted) isn't it better for families to have the whole day together with football in the evening? I completely accept every family is different and some prefer evenings together but normally with a 3pm kick off or an away game a vast chunk of the day is gone. Just an alternative view but I really don't think a late kick off is that bad (again with the proviso that transport is a huge issue).

Not lone….works ok for us too. Various things on during the day but by 6pm everyone will be vegged out in front of something on the telly so me disappearing for a few hours, meeting junior who’ll be at his in-laws (and glad to escape) I suspect won’t be an issue.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What! Boxing Day = football and always has… it Santa that long ago they played Xmas day as well.

Indeed they did. But not at 8pm to satisfy the whims of the Evening Argus.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Can I just be a lone voice here and say (transport issues completely excepted) isn't it better for families to have the whole day together with football in the evening? I completely accept every family is different and some prefer evenings together but normally with a 3pm kick off or an away game a vast chunk of the day is gone. Just an alternative view but I really don't think a late kick off is that bad (again with the proviso that transport is a huge issue).

I agree, also means I might be able to catch Tonbridge Angels at the 12:30 kick off as well!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
well I'm delighted.
Got tickets for Boxing day to take my son to his first proper match. He has suddenly got into football in a big way and at 8 years old he's a year before me.
My first game was Brighton v Man City at the Goldstone where we won 4-1 (October 81) so I was 9 and hooked for life.

I took him to Getefe but that was a **** pre-season with a half empty stadium and we lost 2-0 - I thought I had lost him for ever

This time it will be Brentford in a **** game with half..........................hang on............

Hope all goes well and another fan for life is created! I sometimes felt I should have been reported to the NSPCC for child cruelty when I took my daughter to Withdean, but she says now, as a 26 year old, that being brought up an Albion fan has helped her cope more easily with life's disappointments.....!!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Will Boris follow Wales and now Scotland and have all sport with no crowds ?

I can’t see how he won’t. The actual event themselves is probably not that big risk but anyone who has ever been to the Amex knows that it is super spreader event getting to and from the ground. Maybe everyone should walk like a primary school walking school bus. Close the roads and some can even cycle.

Not serious about that. But the travel is clearly is huge issue for our matches.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
PL go ahead might be taken out their own hands if England follows Wales and Scotland. That go ahead might of course take a different format in terms of televising everything (at a price of course)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
PL go ahead might be taken out their own hands if England follows Wales and Scotland. That go ahead might of course take a different format in terms of televising everything (at a price of course)

It's not just football either. As things stand there will be huge crowds at Kempton on Boxing Day for the King George VI Chase. Has every chance of turning into a repeat of the superspreader event of the 2020 Cheltenham Festival. It would be a crazy decision to let that go ahead.with a full non-socially-distanced pissed-up crowd

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's not just football either. As things stand there will be huge crowds at Kempton on Boxing Day for the King George VI Chase. Has every chance of turning into a repeat of the superspreader event of the 2020 Cheltenham Festival. It would be a crazy decision to let that go ahead.with a full non-socially-distanced pissed-up crowd

Full House expected at Twickenham on the 27th as well

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

The latest variant is going mental in Scotland Tom too, 22,000 cases recorded so far and most worrying is there are 10 people up there in Hospital with it!!!!

https://www.scotsman.com/health/covid-scotland-22000-cases-of-omicron-variant-in-scotland-3504174

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here