Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah but Yeah, your perpetuating the myth we should all be super sad, pay no heed my friend, it’s been a long day
X

Some people are “super sad”.

Not everyone thinks and feels the same, a lot of people are affected emotionally by this - myself included.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I thought everyone got 2 weeks off work. Or is that just one of those things said in hearsay and down the pub

Seriously. How would that work. Everybody not working??

You work on Saturdays?
Another one?
If people didn’t work on Saturdays (and hold on to your seat Sundays too!) You wouldn’t be able to go to the football, the pub, a supermarket, your Garden Centres. Not to mention public transport, hospitals etc….

A very disrespectful question!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seriously. How would that work. Everybody not working??

Another one?
If people didn’t work on Saturdays (and hold on to your seat Sundays too!) You wouldn’t be able to go to the football, the pub, a supermarket, your Garden Centres. Not to mention public transport, hospitals etc….

A very disrespectful question!

It was a joke and Lamie knows that :rolleyes:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Has a 10 day pause been confirmed?

The reports of the London Bridge plan say parliament would be suspended for 10 days - so MPs would get 2 weeks off to recover bless em.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Friday AM … the news sites are saying that the Premier League expects this weekend fixtures to be postponed… So let’s await confirmation.

I certainly hope so. As I see it the club is in no state to take on a league fixture. A break of a week or two will make all the difference. Frankly, it is quite fortuitous for the old lady to pop her clogs just now …
I have sympathy for the family who have lost a Mother/grandmother but I feel nothing toward her myself. I am sure public sympathy will soon wane if this enforced mourning lasts too long.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sounds like 10 days from the radio this morning. At least we'll hopefully get a manager in before our next game at Anfield.

Even my gig at Chalk tonight has been postponed.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My Nan died this year also aged 96. It was obviously very sad but it wasn't tragic. She died peacefully, having lived a good and full life and in succession. Funerals are never fun but it was more a celebration of her life as much as anything. 96 was a fantastic knock.

Fast forward to yesterday's events and it appears we are going to stop the world for 10 days. Wall to wall royal coverage on every main channel (I recorded an NFL programme on sky last night, guess what I got?), a competition to find the saddest of sad songs on the radio and probably a witch hunt being conducted by the Mail and Express to find people like me who aren't balling their eyes out. Isn't it all a bit over the top? Whilst a postponement tomorrow couldn't be better timed, it's unfair on people who have booked travel and made plans. They've even cancelled the racing today. Her Majesty definitely wouldn't have liked that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Friday AM … the news sites are saying that the Premier League expects this weekend fixtures to be postponed… So let’s await confirmation.

I certainly hope so. As I see it the club is in no state to take on a league fixture. A break of a week or two will make all the difference. Frankly, it is quite fortuitous for the old lady to pop her clogs just now …
I have sympathy for the family who have lost a Mother/grandmother but I feel nothing toward her myself. I am sure public sympathy will soon wane if this enforced mourning lasts too long.

With the palace game already off, it’s looking like a full 3 weeks+ before our next game. New team will be comfortably in place by then I reckon.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Premier League games this weekend.

My Nan died this year also aged 96. It was obviously very sad but it wasn't tragic. She died peacefully, having lived a good and full life and in succession. Funerals are never fun but it was more a celebration of her life as much as anything. 96 was a fantastic knock.

Fast forward to yesterday's events and it appears we are going to stop the world for 10 days. Wall to wall royal coverage on every main channel (I recorded an NFL programme on sky last night, guess what I got?), a competition to find the saddest of sad songs on the radio and probably a witch hunt being conducted by the Mail and Express to find people like me who aren't balling their eyes out. Isn't it all a bit over the top? Whilst a postponement tomorrow couldn't be better timed, it's unfair on people who have booked travel and made plans. They've even cancelled the racing today. Her Majesty definitely wouldn't have liked that.

This.

I keep hearing this 10 day thing. 10 days of what exactly?! What are supposed to be doing in that time?

I’ll admit I’m anti monarchy and her passing has no effect on me personally but I appreciate it is a sad time for a few people so I’m careful what I say around others and I’ll stay off that thread for example. It is sad her family have lost a mother, grand mother etc same as when any family loses someone.

I really don’t understand why the football matches have to be called off though. Surely getting thousands of people together to pay their respects and celebrate her life, which living to 96 is what you should be doing, is more appropriate? Kids and grassroots games are carrying on as normal.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I should preface this by saying that despite being a republican, I have the utmost respect for the Queen as a person and the remarkably steadfast job she has done in difficult times. It is completely right that those who wish to mourn and pay their respects will have full opportunity to do so, with the expected Bank Holiday if the funeral is on the 19th, and the chance to file past the coffin in Westminster Hall in the days leading up to it.

The broader royal family and the establishment has been rightly preparing meticulously for this day. There is an awful lot to sort out at a practical and protocol level. They also know that this is a pivotal moment for the institution. At this unique moment, they hold the whip hand in determining what happens for the next 10 days. This is the opportunity to reinforce the incumbent hierarchy and deference for the establishment and give Charles the best opportunity to maintain the status quo in the longer term.

So, whilst the football and other sporting authorities will be keen to maintain fixtures, as the alternative gives them a big headache, I will be amazed if they are permitted to do so.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
No offence to her but I do hope it's not 10 days. It would be frankly ridiculous imho. And why so long to announce it, her failing health hasn't been a surprise? Are they trying to judge the mood of the.... media? Imo there should be tributes and games this weekend and none next weekend (if policing is an issue near to the funeral) or vice versa.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the 10 days may happen as much as anything because no company/event/brand/media outlet will want to be the first to be seen "having fun" and get cancelled en masse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here