Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Will the PL allow players to continually test as positive whilst restarting the season . Surely not .

Impossible in any scenario of a 1,000 personnel, mixing with families, to get zero positive tests.

The few testing positive will isolate for a week (I think’s the duration). At this stage, the numbers are too low to prevent football.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
1 death is all it will take.

Depends on how closely linked it is, I think. If football can convince people it was not contracted in a football environment (e.g. that they caught it while shopping after training etc) it will be sad, there'll be minutes silence, but the game would continue.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
1 death is all it will take.
Sadly, players do die.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52814902

The odds are very much in the players' favour, though. Approx. 60 men aged between 20 and 34 have died so far, which is about 1 in 150,000 of men that age, but most of them were already ill. For footballers, the odds of dying from coronavirus appear to be about 1 in 1,000,000. Though as the above story proves, there are other causes of death.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sadly, players do die.

The odds are very much in the players' favour, though. Approx. 60 men aged between 20 and 34 have died so far, which is about 1 in 150,000 of men that age, but most of them were already ill. For footballers, the odds of dying from coronavirus appear to be about 1 in 1,000,000. Though as the above story proves, there are other causes of death.

Looks like the PL season will complete. Your positivity throughout was imho well judged.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Troy Deeney is open to a return to training after speaking with Dr Jonathan Van-Tam, the government's deputy chief medical officer. Seems he's happy with the steps being put in place to try and protect players and has been given more information about the risk etc.

Mentions in the article he's been subject to online abuse, including people wishing his young son catches the virus. Utterly deplorable but sadly unsurprising given the comments on various social media whenever a story breaks about a player testing positive etc. Wankers.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...1HiT9yw3WJBCV9x2-LULO3KplCo1IbJonI2QbuHPdtInA

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Looks like the PL season will complete. Your positivity throughout was imho well judged.

You do realise there is a difference between thinking the season should complete and thinking the season will complete? You seem to be indirectly tarring people who thought it shouldn’t be completed.

I still stand by my opinion that completing it in this context severely affects the competition’s integrity. However, I also recognise that it has to be completed for financial reasons.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sadly, players do die.

Thank you for the link. I didn’t realize that sometimes footballers die.
Do you have any figures for the deaths caused by asymptotic footballers (who would test negatively) passing on the virus to others ?

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Do you have any figures for the deaths caused by asymptotic footballers (who would test negatively) passing on the virus to others ?

If football doesn't carry on these footballers will still be doing something, many are bored young men with a lot of money at their disposal, and as the rest of society begins to open up they will hardly be confining themselves to their own homes, plus they would not be being tested twice a week so they could still be asymptomatic, passing on the virus in innocent setting like supermarkets or less innocent settings like parties flouting lockdown rules. Football for many will give them a focus and stop them from doing other things with their time and with being tested limit if and when they contract the disease the number of people they could potentially pass it on to. There is a good case that you are making that whilst asymptomatic between tests they could pass it on but the alternative of cancelling football doesn't mean you completely mitigate that risk, it just goes in other directions and without testing doesn't get controlled as easily if they do contract this.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If football doesn't carry on these footballers will still be doing something, many are bored young men with a lot of money at their disposal, and as the rest of society begins to open up they will hardly be confining themselves to their own homes, plus they would not be being tested twice a week so they could still be asymptomatic, passing on the virus in innocent setting like supermarkets or less innocent settings like parties flouting lockdown rules. Football for many will give them a focus and stop them from doing other things with their time and with being tested limit if and when they contract the disease the number of people they could potentially pass it on to. There is a good case that you are making that whilst asymptomatic between tests they could pass it on but the alternative of cancelling football doesn't mean you completely mitigate that risk, it just goes in other directions and without testing doesn't get controlled as easily if they do contract this.

You seem to be advocating giving footballers a workplace exemption from social distancing rules because they can’t be trusted to follow the rules. That could just as easily be rolled out to other groups in society eg political advisers...

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
You seem to be advocating giving footballers a workplace exemption from social distancing rules because they can’t be trusted to follow the rules. That could just as easily be rolled out to other groups in society eg political advisers...

I'm not at all, I'm just stating it's not as black and white as many are making out, not going on with the football season doesn't shut down the risk of footballers getting the virus, we know already in 12 cases in 3 rounds of testing footballers and staff have tested positive and most likely all of these will have been contracted away from their training grounds, if they'd have not been tested they would have not known they had it and wouldn't be isolating right now. So far the fact football has come back has probably helped stop the spread of the virus with these 12 asymptomatic cases now self isolating having been tested, who would otherwise have continued to spread the virus.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

No, but in view of the incessant testing and the number of footballers who use public transport, I suspect it will be a good bit less than almost anybody else.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

new track and trace from tomorrow says anybody who tests positive must isolate for 7 days anybody in close contact/spent close to longer than 15 mins will have to isolate for 14 days.......but I guess footballers are exempt.....

I am struggling to keep up.. as you point out, the PL have said "yes" to contact training, at the same time as the Govt. announces Track and Trace. Is it simply that the technicalities of "close contact" definitions from the Govt (15 mins, less than 2m etc. ) are deemed not to apply to PL training sessions just yet i.e restrictions on what "contact" means? Seems odd to me, but surely any vote has been taken with the Govt directions/restrictions in mind.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I am struggling to keep up.. as you point out, the PL have said "yes" to contact training, at the same time as the Govt. announces Track and Trace. Is it simply that the technicalities of "close contact" definitions from the Govt (15 mins, less than 2m etc. ) are deemed not to apply to PL training sessions just yet i.e restrictions on what "contact" means? Seems odd to me, but surely any vote has been taken with the Govt directions/restrictions in mind.

The players are being tested all the time and are in quite controlled environments. It would be wrong to treat them like a commuter on a packed train. Especially when you lump in the fact they are all fit young men.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The players are being tested all the time and are in quite controlled environments. It would be wrong to treat them like a commuter on a packed train. Especially when you lump in the fact they are all fit young men.

Sure, that makes sense, but if a player does test positive, is it a simple case that the other players/staff they have been training with don't qualify as "close contact" as far as the track and trace definitions apply - Otherwise, anyone training with them will have to self-isolate for 14 days?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sure, that makes sense, but if a player does test positive, is it a simple case that the other players/staff they have been training with don't qualify as "close contact" as far as the track and trace definitions apply - Otherwise, anyone training with them will have to self-isolate for 14 days?

I'm not sure, I guess in theory they get the test results before the contact. Unsure tbh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here