Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This may have already been covered elsewhere, but lets say they do restart behind closed doors... Would all Season Ticket Holders have to forfeit the cost of their match ticket in order to watch a live-stream on the telly box? ???
I doubt they have decided specific details yet.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A flashback to times of long ago (7 weeks?) when it's a corner and the defenders are manhandling the attackers and the forwards are leaning against the defenders and standing on the goalkeepers toes, and the referee stops play to warn the offenders.
Then a few minutes later there's another corner and the whole scene is repeated.
All while the players are dripping with sweat and breathing heavily and shouting.

What could possibly go wrong with just 92 more Premier League games to play?
And then there is the small matter of several hundred EFL fixtures also to be completed.
All taking place in a country that is almost certain to suffer the most deaths from Covid-19 in the whole of Europe due to poor planning.

It could almost be a modern day episode of Blackadder.

I've said it before (obviously hope I'm wrong), wait until the first player dies, then watch the shit hit the fan... and the blame game start!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you and 20 colleagues stand in an area of about 7m x 7m wresting and grabbing each other's shirts before all trying to compete for a football 10-15 times a day?

If [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION] really is Glenn Murray, I think you're going to have to work a bit harder to flush him out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
All taking place in a country that is almost certain to suffer the most deaths from Covid-19 in the whole of Europe due to poor planning.

Agree with the rest of your post but this is unsubstantiated. Specially given Italy and Spain do not count care home deaths in their totals and they look likely to surpass our total by a way.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Understand what. That testing in this country has been wholly inadequate so far ? I think we all understand that easy enough.

What needs to be taken into account is that for EPL football to be able start up again behind closed doors, in some kind of bio-dome neutral venue zone, would take a vast amount of regular testing to get this season completed. Squads, managers, officials, drivers, hotel workers, stadium staff, broadcasters, all quarantined inside this enormous "Premier League" bubble somewhere for (lets say) 2 months+ to get this season done ? Personally I'd find that obscene if NHS and health workers aren't getting that level of testing.

I just don't see it as being viable or realistic. And as mentioned, as soon as someone goes down with this thing, be it a player or someone inside this notional biodome, it'll all grind to a halt again anyway. So whats the point.

As it stands, like everyone else, football is nowhere near being beyond the reach of this virus, so the concept of it coming back in June/July is patently bollocks. Its only because of the vast amount of £££ involved that this delusion of the EPL continues. One by one we're seeing countries in Europe conceding to reality now.

Frankly the longer this goes on, the more the Premier League is starting to look like Chemical Ali, except with Covid-19 floating around in the background instead of US tanks.

The question i was raising was reasons behind the failure to utilise the capacity of testing (i found the article below interesting) and whether testing PL would actually have any effect.....as you said its obvious that testing has been inadequate ..but i was suggesting we all look behind headlines.....anyway having said all that there are a whole myriad of other complications

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-so-hard-to-reach-100000-covid-19-tests-a-day

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Agreed - they've already confirmed that.

I do think Tony Bloom has been pretty clever; if I'm being cynical he doesn't want the season to restart in a bodged fashion so he authorised Matt Ryan to go back to Australia (risky) - allowed the AMEX to be used as a NHS drive-thru testing centre. All things now out of his hands if the PL try to push through some shit bodge; just to get the season done

Not a bad theory as he is that smart.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Prem advising clubs to consider recalling players who are currently back in their home countries;

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-2020-season-return-comeback-date-training-a9489506.html

Noted that it says Son Heung-Min has to stay in South Korea a further month to complete his National Service conscription - I thought he got out of that after they won the Asian Cup?

He is doing the standard 4 week military service required by South Korean law, he has been given an exemption from completing the full 21 months service most South Koreans have to do.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Prem advising clubs to consider recalling players who are currently back in their home countries;

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-2020-season-return-comeback-date-training-a9489506.html

Noted that it says Son Heung-Min has to stay in South Korea a further month to complete his National Service conscription - I thought he got out of that after they won the Asian Cup?

Unless the article has changed, that is not quite right.

It says:

'Spurs forward Son Heung-min is in South Korea but he will be unable to return to the United Kingdom until he completes national service in the Military Corps early next month.'

So early next month he will be able to return, not 'in a month.'

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unless the article has changed, that is not quite right.

It says:

'Spurs forward Son Heung-min is in South Korea but he will be unable to return to the United Kingdom until he completes national service in the Military Corps early next month.'

So early next month he will be able to return, not 'in a month.'

Fair enough, skim read that a bit.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Nope, couldn’t delete and repost though

In an attempt to redeem myself, have seen a few tweets indicating the French League may be considering using the season mid-point (after all the teams had played each other once) to decide placings........

This was one of three solutions floated a couple of weeks ago. The others were basing final positions on points per game so far and stat-based predictions of the results of the remaining 92 games. The French-referenced one is perhaps the least fair. Under none of them would the Albion be relegated.

For me, all but the French one would be fairer than behind-closed-doors or null-and-voiding.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Madness starting again, just when things are starting to turn, what's stopping people going to a park for a kick around if the season does start again? Can't be legally right for just a select few to be able to play football again and deny that same privilege to others.

Knock this season on the head and that's it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Well these are exceptional circumstances so they might have to curb the nmber of staff players come into contact with, I don't think 12 is unreasonable, if it's slightly more it doesn't massively affect the total number of tests required.

How many backroom people would need to regularly be in contact with the first team squad in order for them to adequetly prepare for and attend a first team game from each club?

I now understand the figure required instead of your derisory number of "12" is more likely to be 265..! I feels this renders the rest of your post as 'unconvincing'.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I now understand the figure required instead of your derisory number of "12" is more likely to be 265..! I feels this renders the rest of your post as 'unconvincing'.

Really? Under usual circumstances, yes Premier League clubs have a colossal entourage of people, often ex players trying to look busy. But what matchday staff do you actually NEED to get a game on?

A manager each? fair enough
The physio, could easily be shared
A doctor. Shared also with an ambulance not far from the match on standby
Maybe a ball boy at each side of the pitch would be useful

The other stuff? All nice to have. The groundsman doesn't HAVE to be there to fork the pitch at half time, the manager could easily be miked up to an assistant manager.

The players won't be able to prepare for a match like before. But again, they can train by video link, they can have team talks by video link. Less than ideal, but it will be the same for both teams.

There's way too many people wilfully not prepared to show some imagination.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Players can turn up in their kit and go straight home.
Cameras can be operated remotely.
More decisions can be by VAR, such as offside. Take away the linesmen. (bloody hell I never though I'd make that argument).

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Really? Under usual circumstances, yes Premier League clubs have a colossal entourage of people, often ex players trying to look busy. But what matchday staff do you actually NEED to get a game on?

The other stuff? All nice to have. The groundsman doesn't HAVE to be there to fork the pitch at half time, the manager could easily be miked up to an assistant manager.

The players won't be able to prepare for a match like before. But again, they can train by video link, they can have team talks by video link. Less than ideal, but it will be the same for both teams.

Yes, really !...lol.

May I politely suggest you read the attachment on post 1240.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Yeah that number includes over 100 "media". Why the **** would reporters, radio & TV commentators or journos NEED to be at the game, rather than watching on a stream like every other bugger?! Stadium announcer, ex-players with ambassadorial or hospitality roles, all unnecessary.

The number would be higher than 12 per club certainly imo, but you'd hope it could be maybe under 100 overall, if they kept it to essential production and healthcare?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Players can turn up in their kit and go straight home.
Cameras can be operated remotely.
More decisions can be by VAR, such as offside. Take away the linesmen. (bloody hell I never though I'd make that argument).

Nurse, nurse...he's got out again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here