Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I would have thought so but it doesn't look as though anyone else here is interested in this development.

I think, to use what is probably an inappropriate analogy at the moment, some of the football organisations are trying to keep the season alive until it’s last dying breath...

Just accept, football is a contact sport, social distancing is a reality, worldwide (yes, even in the USA), how can you play contact sport while everyone else is being told to social distance... it really is a bit of a no-brainier, if you think about it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think, to use what is probably an inappropriate analogy at the moment, some of the football organisations are trying to keep the season alive until it’s last dying breath...

Just accept, football is a contact sport, social distancing is a reality, worldwide (yes, even in the USA), how can you play contact sport while everyone else is being told to social distance... it really is a bit of a no-brainier, if you think about it.

Everyone will have to be tested in the run-up to the game, so in theory if all tests are negative (and reliable) they'll justify it as probably being safe. However, we're still not yet even at a point where frontline health workers are all being tested - so how would footballers manage it. And it would have to be before EVERY game not just once. Is that even possible ?

Is it even important enough ?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I've long been of a mind that this season will not finish, there will come a point where its just not practical / doable, ESPECIALLY as several European leagues have smelled the coffee and binned off their season now. We need some conformity across Europe - you can't have Holland / Belgium / France leaving their seasons incomplete so they can start afresh later in the year, while the PL cling stubbornly to the notion that they'll get this season finished by hook or by crook, whenever that may be. https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=0747d6s1bansa

The writing is on the wall. Recommencing football in the next 2/3 months will carry huge risks for all involved, and at the first SNIFF of a player, manager or official getting Coronered, it'll all grind to a halt again and we'll be back to square one.

UEFA should step in now, take the lead and make a sensible decision, set a sensible deadline, and if it can't be met, this season is voided. All the Leagues should accept and fall in line behind it. We might not like it, but at least it provides some clarity and enables everyone to plan for next season with a clean slate.

Excellent post, could not agree more.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Everyone will have to be tested in the run-up to the game, so in theory if all tests are negative (and reliable) they'll justify it as probably being safe. However, we're still not yet even at a point where frontline health workers are all being tested - so how would footballers manage it. And it would have to be before EVERY game not just once. Is that even possible ?

Calling Dr. No

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Perhaps you need to look at why to help understand it

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
FFS! Season will be abandoned and next season will not start... End of thread...:shrug:

Next season will not start? Ever? I mean I'm willing to accept 20/21 season may not start on time bit the idea that there will not be a next season and football is therefore over seems a touch extreme even for this thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Next season will not start? Ever? I mean I'm willing to accept 20/21 season may not start on time bit the idea that there will not be a next season and football is therefore over seems a touch extreme even for this thread

How will 2020/21 happen without a vaccine? Many recent posts in this thread make it plain that safe distancing is impossible in a contact sport, therefore football matches should not take place.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
How will 2020/21 happen without a vaccine? Many recent posts in this thread make it plain that safe distancing is impossible in a contact sport, therefore football matches should not take place.

You miss my point. The poster stated next season, now clearly if 20/21 gets canned as there is no vaccine then next season would be 21/22 and so on. It was stated in the post I replied to that 'next' season would not happen, not a specific year. Implying we have already seen the last football ever.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Perhaps you need to look at why to help understand it

Understand what. That testing in this country has been wholly inadequate so far ? I think we all understand that easy enough.

What needs to be taken into account is that for EPL football to be able start up again behind closed doors, in some kind of bio-dome neutral venue zone, would take a vast amount of regular testing to get this season completed. Squads, managers, officials, drivers, hotel workers, stadium staff, broadcasters, all quarantined inside this enormous "Premier League" bubble somewhere for (lets say) 2 months+ to get this season done ? Personally I'd find that obscene if NHS and health workers aren't getting that level of testing.

I just don't see it as being viable or realistic. And as mentioned, as soon as someone goes down with this thing, be it a player or someone inside this notional biodome, it'll all grind to a halt again anyway. So whats the point.

As it stands, like everyone else, football is nowhere near being beyond the reach of this virus, so the concept of it coming back in June/July is patently bollocks. Its only because of the vast amount of £££ involved that this delusion of the EPL continues. One by one we're seeing countries in Europe conceding to reality now.

Frankly the longer this goes on, the more the Premier League is starting to look like Chemical Ali, except with Covid-19 floating around in the background instead of US tanks.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I've long been an advocate of this season being abandoned. Time will tell what form that takes but I'm becoming increasingly concerned by this apparent ramping up of preparations here as leagues are abandoned all around us. The interest has gone for me for now and all that is going on seems obscene.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Like it! Excellent analogy.

Well it seems a valid one!

A better one I saw on here the other night was someone saying that relaxing lockdown measures in a particular area, is akin to allowing a pissing section in one corner of a swimming pool.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Almost certainly comes down to money, which no-one minds paying cos fulfilling the surrounding contracts is so lucrative. They're proposing to test everyone who enters and leaves training grounds, so matches might be relatively straightforward.

In Germany, they've said football will account for 0.4% of testing kits and repay that several times over by paying for kits for healthcare pros.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Simply, I think safe distancing will be relaxed gradually, including for contact sports (and crowds at a later date). We can’t stamp CV19 out without a vaccine, just manage the R number well below 1 and protect the most vulnerable. Whether it’s relaxed sufficiently for 20/21 to start depends on how the numbers look. Protocols will be developed for managing further outbreaks as contact tracing is implemented.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nope, couldn’t delete and repost though

In an attempt to redeem myself, have seen a few tweets indicating the French League may be considering using the season mid-point (after all the teams had played each other once) to decide placings........

Interesting that. The bottom 3 would end up:

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 08.00.16.png

Lol. Villa.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In Germany, they've said football will account for 0.4% of testing kits and repay that several times over by paying for kits for healthcare pros.

I think we would need to see something like this over here, and it possibly would change how some felt about football going ahead. I think in Germany they said for every testing kit used in Bundesliga - and they are all privately bought, so not depriving their health system of kits - they would be donating 5 testing kits to their health service.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I've long been of a mind that this season will not finish, there will come a point where its just not practical / doable, ESPECIALLY as several European leagues have smelled the coffee and binned off their season now. We need some conformity across Europe - you can't have Holland / Belgium / France leaving their seasons incomplete so they can start afresh later in the year, while the PL cling stubbornly to the notion that they'll get this season finished by hook or by crook, whenever that may be.

We don't have to follow Europe. Brexit means Brexit.:lolol:
I don't think a decision should be made yet myself.
If for example March 21 was the earliest football could come back the best thing would be to finish this season then rather than lose two seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here