Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Macron has said this evening that mass gatherings will continue to be banned in France until at least mid-July (general lockdown until 11th May).

On that basis, no attended matches in France until then, and potentially/likely no football either (and at the very least a postponement of the TdF).

Out of interest, do we know how France are defining ‘mass gatherings’? Football, on balance, I can live without and it’s obvious that organised events with tens of thousands of people all in one place aren’t going to be feasible for some time.

If however a mass gathering is defined as, say, 10 or more people then that would suggest that the life that we know right now probably also won’t change in any meaningful way for a good period either.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just because lockdowns will finish, it doesn’t mean that social distancing regulations won’t still apply.
Plus you would still need to allow for a few weeks of training to return fitness levels to normal before matches could start.

I think most people would consider lockdown and social distancing to be one and the same. With the possible exception of a few select industries returning to work, what is the difference?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Out of interest, do we know how France are defining ‘mass gatherings’? Football, on balance, I can live without and it’s obvious that organised events with tens of thousands of people all in one place aren’t going to be feasible for some time.

If however a mass gathering is defined as, say, 10 or more people then that would suggest that the life that we know right now probably also won’t change in any meaningful way for a good period either.

In the original changes France introduced in early March, this was defined as 1,000 people. I'm not sure if it got subsequently redefined.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
I think most people would consider lockdown and social distancing to be one and the same. With the possible exception of a few select industries returning to work, what is the difference?
Well I don’t know what sort of restrictions are in place where you are at the moment, but where I am, there are only four conditions under which I can leave my house: for work, exercise, essential shopping, or caring for someone. Police are handing out fines of around $1500 for people who don’t comply. I would consider that lockdown. Social distancing refers to limiting how many people can assemble in one place, and minimising any physical contact between people; the recommendation here is a minimum of 1.5 metres. So it’s been widely discussed here that once the limitations on being able to leave homes have been relaxed, the social distancing will still apply, which will still put a hold on contact sports.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Well I don’t know what sort of restrictions are in place where you are at the moment, but where I am, there are only four conditions under which I can leave my house: for work, exercise, essential shopping, or caring for someone. Police are handing out fines of around $1500 for people who don’t comply. I would consider that lockdown. Social distancing refers to limiting how many people can assemble in one place, and minimising any physical contact between people; the recommendation here is a minimum of 1.5 metres. So it’s been widely discussed here that once the limitations on being able to leave homes have been relaxed, the social distancing will still apply, which will still put a hold on contact sports.

It’s certainly not massively dissimilar here in the UK, perhaps with the exception of large fines being routinely handed out. My point was really that if lockdown as you put it is relaxed, but social distancing remains in place, is there any real difference?

You still won’t be able to go to any popular public places, non-essential shops, pubs, restaurants and do on. Life will still remain as beige as it is right now. You might be able to leave home more frequently, but there’ll still be nowhere to go.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
not forgetting Bmuff home games.

Even if the season restarts it won't feel the same anymore. In my mind it finished when the lockdown started. I've lost motivation for it

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Even if the season restarts it won't feel the same anymore. In my mind it finished when the lockdown started. I've lost motivation for it
Same for me.

It will seem like the main season has finished long ago, and we will replace it by a 9 game mini-season.

I really don't know why they are bothering now, best get everything prepared for the proper new 20/21 season.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Yep, same. And if it so happened that we went down, I really don't think I'd be that arsed. Especially if it was all just done behind closed doors :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yep, same. And if it so happened that we went down, I really don't think I'd be that arsed. Especially if it was all just done behind closed doors :shrug:

Behind closed doors just doesn't seem right, rather wait till we are back to some sort of normality. Football without the crowd isn't football....

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Behind closed doors just doesn't seem right, rather wait till we are back to some sort of normality. Football without the crowd isn't football....

Agree with this 100%

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If Liverpool had already won the league they wouldn't be this desperate to finish the season. At least I reckon.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Liverpool had already won the league they wouldn't be this desperate to finish the season. At least I reckon.

It's nothing to do with Liverpool (except in the mind of Liverpool haters). It's all about money, and the PL thinking it's more important than anything else, including lower league clubs and .... err ...... coronavirus.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...and the PL thinking it's more important than anything else, including lower league clubs and .... err ...... coronavirus.

Yup. When Arsenal first contacted the PL ahead of the Brighton game to say they might have Covid 19 in their squad, the PL response was “only if he’s registered with us before midnight.”

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Completely this. Either wait and finish it when crowds can be present or don't finish it at all.

It's not what the players want either. They should refuse to play until we can return as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here