Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Other recent suggestions (5 subs, or shorter matches) are also ridiculous. By all means implement them from the start of a season, for a whole season, but don't bring them in with 25% of the season still to play.

Totally agree.

I don't think they're all serious ideas from the PL, many coming from people looking to keep their face in the media, or making a living by speculating as a Talkshite guest.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The number of cases doesn't mean a great deal. You ramp up testing you find more cases - it's as simple as that. If you tested literally everyone in the country today you'd get a massive spike in cases - it doesn't mean that lots of people have suddenly become infected.

The number of deaths is a more telling statistic, sadly, and that's clearly been on the decline for some time now.

I agree with this. No country in Europe has a clear idea about overall case numbers in their population, the numbers reported are just down to how many tests and who is being tested.

Re deaths- it's difficult trying to compare countries and I withdraw my comment about being 1 week behind Germany. Our trajectory, for what it's worth trying to compare with others, is a very similar path to Italy, Spain and France, and we are about a week behind Spain and France and 2 weeks behind Italy.

101104.jpg

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The number of cases doesn't mean a great deal. You ramp up testing you find more cases - it's as simple as that. If you tested literally everyone in the country today you'd get a massive spike in cases - it doesn't mean that lots of people have suddenly become infected.

The number of deaths is a more telling statistic, sadly, and that's clearly been on the decline for some time now.

Yes - you are right, of course. The point I was trying to make was that we're a lot more than a week behind Germany. The stats boffins seem now to be focused more on "Excess Deaths", and the latest UK data shows that the rate of Excess Deaths is still rising. There are obviously other factors playing into this (not just Covid-19), but it's interesting to see the FT's analysis of Excess Deaths - in all European countries where this data is available the number of Excess Deaths is on the decline - apart from two (UK and Belgium). It's declining rapidly in the other countries worst affected (Italy, France, Spain) - but not here.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with this. No country in Europe has a clear idea about overall case numbers in their population, the numbers reported are just down to how many tests and who is being tested.

Re deaths- it's difficult trying to compare countries and I withdraw my comment about being 1 week behind Germany. Our trajectory, for what it's worth trying to compare with others, is a very similar path to Italy, Spain and France, and we are about a week behind Spain and France and 2 weeks behind Italy.

View attachment 123155

What do you think about the comment from the Italian Sports Minister who think s it is too early to talk about a return?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52524818

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
With the German league getting the green light for may 15. Beginning to worry that the prem reboot really will happen.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Maybe it will be last man standing? The club with the fewest Covid cases wins?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
What do you think about the comment from the Italian Sports Minister who think s it is too early to talk about a return?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52524818

I think if they are starting training in May, re-starting the league in June is likely. They will be aware of the UEFA deadline to conclude the league by 31 July to allow for the Europa and Champions league games to be played out in August.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
"Today, sadly XXX lost their lives due to the virus.

Meanwhile, here are today's football results....."

:facepalm:

In a bad flu season 25,000 people in this country lose their lives, over approx 4 months thats 1,500 people a week, society barely blinks an eyelid.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think I agree with Jim In The West that playing the final nine or so games of a season under different rules (five subs, neutral grounds) if that hasn't been agreed beforehand would invalidate the competition. But you could argue that playing behind closed doors does too, negating the positive effects of a home crowd.

If there is a positive note to be struck, it's that we were beginning to get the hang of playing on the road, with good results and performances against Sheffield United and Wolves, and that we shouldn't be too fearful of taking anyone on without home advantage. Arsenal away was one of our best performances of the season.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
UK deaths as at 5th May 29 427
Amex capacity 30 750

We're getting close.
For some reason I find that significant as a way of visualising just how awful the UK death count has been.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In a bad flu season 25,000 people in this country lose their lives, over approx 4 months thats 1,500 people a week, society barely blinks an eyelid.

It is very likely that without the lockdown we may have been looking at vastly inflated numbers. We were over our flu season so many of these deaths are 'extra'. So your point is invalid specifically as flu is (usually) very much less deadly than covid-19.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
UK deaths as at 5th May 29 427
Amex capacity 30 750

We're getting close.
For some reason I find that significant as a way of visualising just how awful the UK death count has been.

I find that strangely reassuring, as apparently that is about the same amount of people that win life changing amounts of money on various things in England every year, and I don't know anyone who has...

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Top quality satire.

1. Unfortunately 'very low' is not low enough. And it isn't just the players, it is the people with whom they will come into contact. Let's imagine a top star has a pregnant wife who happens to be asthmatic. Try telling that top start to isolate from his wife for a few weeks to finish he season. If it were me I'd tell the club, and the eff A, to eff off.

2. There is no treatment. Not even in the most expensive hospitals. That's why we are in lockdown.

3. October at the earliest. Provided we are sure it won't all kick off again. My money is on end of January,

1. The chances of a footballer dying of coronavirus are probably less than the chances of him dying of a heart attack. Last figure I saw had 140 under-40s dying of coronavirus in this country, almost all of them with pre-existing serious health issues. Incidentally, at least one Australian rugby player is isolating from his family because his mother works at a care home, and the entire New Zealand Warriors are isolating for 5 months because they want to play. Their families may be able to join them later.

2. Of course there is treatment. If there wasn't, what would be the point of going to hospital?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here