Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
15 minutes each way at St George's Park. That's the way to go. Larger goals to ensure a result and plenty of goals for TV. One touch football to keep it flowing and avoid any tackles or physical contact. Ball must not go above head height to make sure no heading. Throw- ins to be kick-ins to avoid touching the ball with bare hands. Just a towel down with players own towel at half time followed by half an orange from the player's local farm shop to preserve the integrity of the competition. Shirts to remain on at all times. No spitting or hawking up or snotting at the ground or other players. I think that about covers it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
15 minutes each way at St George's Park. That's the way to go. Larger goals to ensure a result and plenty of goals for TV. One touch football to keep it flowing and avoid any tackles or physical contact. Ball must not go above head height to make sure no heading throw- ins to be kick-ins to avoid touching the ball with bare hands. Just a towel down with players own towel and half an orange from the player's local farm shop at half time to preserve the integrity of the competition. Shirts to remain on at all times. No spitting or hawking up or snotting at the ground or other players. I think that about covers it.

Rush goalie?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
15 minutes each way at St George's Park. That's the way to go. Larger goals to ensure a result and plenty of goals for TV. One touch football to keep it flowing and avoid any tackles or physical contact. Ball must not go above head height to make sure no heading. Throw- ins to be kick-ins to avoid touching the ball with bare hands. Just a towel down with players own towel at half time followed by half an orange from the player's local farm shop to preserve the integrity of the competition. Shirts to remain on at all times. No spitting or hawking up or snotting at the ground or other players. I think that about covers it.

Rush goalie?

Goes without saying - didn't want to state the flipping obvious!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Just do penalty shoot outs.

All players including the goalies in hazmat suits.

And replace the football with a beach ball.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Time to be honest and say that this season is never going to be finished this side of the summer.

It's null and void.

What I'd like to see is the season played to its end between September - December.

Then in 2021 I'd like to see the FA Cup played like a World Cup with leagues of 4/5 teams playing one another with one drawn from the PL, a team from Championship, a team from League 1 and 2 and so forth. Before moving into a knockout phase. All played between March and June.

Then football can resume in September 2021.

It may not be right but football has got to start thinking differently and thinking 2 years out and not 2-weeks.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You can see why the broadcasters would want to keep relegation in there: why else is anything worth watching? The race for Europe isn't that exciting, especially if there isn't going to be much European competition next year. Without relegation the drama isn't there and they might as well not bother.

I am not sure who if anyone has suggested playing the matches with the threat of relegation removed. It would be absurd to do so.

Wasn't the suggestion of 'no relegation' made in the context of concluding the season early? That would be entirely different.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I am not sure who if anyone has suggested playing the matches with the threat of relegation removed. It would be absurd to do so.

Wasn't the suggestion of 'no relegation' made in the context of concluding the season early? That would be entirely different.
A journalist took it on himself to imply that Barber's objection neutral venues meant he was suggesting that no relegation should be the plan.

It seems to have led to Barber/bhafc being accused of pushing no relegation for self interest reasons.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I think unless the situation improves dramatically in the UK in the next 2-3 weeks (it is improving of course, but I mean CV almost gone levels of improvement) it will be clear that large numbers of players don't feel safe playing and the season will be canned.

Current projections are number of deaths per day close to zero in June, so I guess that is why they are planning to start then.

I know there is a lot of negativity on here about re-start, but it does seem perfectly feasible to re-start the current season in those conditions, if that is what occurs. Most people may be back at work by then and schools re-open etc. so does seem feasible. To me. Just my opinion.

The Prem are just putting plans together on the basis it may be feasible, based on the scientific projections. But will not re-start unless Government etc. say it is safe to do so. Seems sensible.

10110.jpg

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Time to be honest and say that this season is never going to be finished this side of the summer.

It's null and void.

What I'd like to see is the season played to its end between September - December.

Then in 2021 I'd like to see the FA Cup played like a World Cup with leagues of 4/5 teams playing one another with one drawn from the PL, a team from Championship, a team from League 1 and 2 and so forth. Before moving into a knockout phase. All played between March and June.

Then football can resume in September 2021.

It may not be right but football has got to start thinking differently and thinking 2 years out and not 2-weeks.

We finish this season ...when it’s safe (whatever that word will mean).....we don’t worry about European club competitions or internationals ...they are completely secondary ...league football is where it’s at....

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Current projections are number of deaths per day close to zero in June, so I guess that is why they are planning to start then.

I know there is a lot of negativity on here about re-start, but it does seem perfectly feasible to re-start the current season in those conditions, if that is what occurs. Most people may be back at work by then and schools re-open etc. so does seem feasible. To me. Just my opinion.

The Prem are just putting plans together on the basis it may be feasible, based on the scientific projections. But will not re-start unless Government etc. say it is safe to do so. Seems sensible.

View attachment 123140

Ok, but, what happens when just 1 person from 1 team contracts CV19? The whole re-start would be derailed wouldn't it?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

View attachment 123140

The bold highlights are incompatible.

The June projection is if lockdown stays in place, not if people are back at work etc.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Ok, but, what happens when just 1 person from 1 team contracts CV19? The whole re-start would be derailed wouldn't it?

I imagine footballers will just be treated like anyone else who has gone back to work. If one of them tests positive (they will probably check multiple times as the test can give false results) they would then have to isolate for 7 days (and could be ill for longer) and may miss games in that time.

That will be the same for every club so they will all face the same challenge in that regard. All clubs are in the same boat on that score although some may suffer more as a consequence.

Players may also catch other illnesses and need time off as a result. They may get injured and need time off as a result. There are many reasons why a player may miss one or more games and Covid would be one of them. Again, all clubs are in the same boat on that score and some may suffer more as a consequence.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
I assume there will be some risk of covid for a long time- well beyond August / Sept when next season would normally start. At some point they have to assess the risk and get started again. Could be in June, could be later. It will not be a zero risk situation when they re-start. Whatever they do.

If the risk is assessed as acceptable in June and Government agree that it can re-start, it will.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
The bold highlights are incompatible.

The June projection is if lockdown stays in place, not if people are back at work etc.

Not quite correct- it is based on some measures being kept in place until the infection rate is very low, as a very safe strategy to controlling the overall spread.

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/faqs

101102.jpg

The reality is the countries that are ahead of us on the curve are opening back up and we will do the same. Many people are at work now, more people will be come June. This is being done as part of an overall strategy to keep the spread managed below NHS capacity.

I am not really clear why people seem to think footballers, who have access to 24/7 medical attention are a better looked after than almost anyone in the country, will not be able to go back to work, when many people are working now, and more will be come June.

I appreciate the implications of a footballer missing a match through illness or injury can be significant. But this is always the case. Come June Covid will be one reason amongst many that a player could be ill or injured and miss a game / games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here