Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Something else to bear in mind is if you do award Liverpool the title, can you guarantee thousands of gleeful fans won't descend on Anfield? We know fans descend on stadiums they know in advance are closed (including flying half way across Europe for international or European matches), I struggle to believe fans wouldn't start congregating in large numbers at the stadium or in the city (and you can forget about social distancing in that scenario). It shouldn't be a deciding factor in anything but it's still something to factor in.
This would be a problem if the games were played behind closed doors. Maybe more than once depending upon all the results. You could have a situation where Liverpool could win the title away from home. I don't know the fixtures, but that could present even greater problems.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So the Belgian league has been cancelled, The Dutch League has effectively been cancelled, all divisions in Scotland other than the SPL have gone, and all non-league football in England has been cancelled, with the National League being the latest to be call their season off today.

Its closing-in isn't it, I think the inevitability of it all being cancelled is growing by the day. I don't like it but looks like its happening.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
After listening to the latest government briefing I’m beginning to think we won’t get a full season next year either. I can’t imagine any sport involving crowd attendance happening in the foreseeable future

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
After listening to the latest government briefing I’m beginning to think we won’t get a full season next year either. I can’t imagine any sport involving crowd attendance happening in the foreseeable future

Agreed. All the more reason to void this season. Football needs to plan for the future, not cling pathetically on to the rotting remains of the 2019-2020 season.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Agreed. All the more reason to void this season. Football needs to plan for the future, not cling pathetically on to the rotting remains of the 2019-2020 season.

100% this - look forward and plan for when football can resume.

Put a levy on the Premier league teams to help stop some of the lower league sides going to the wall...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
So the Belgian league has been cancelled, The Dutch League has effectively been cancelled, all divisions in Scotland other than the SPL have gone, and all non-league football in England has been cancelled, with the National League being the latest to be call their season off today.

Its closing-in isn't it, I think the inevitability of it all being cancelled is growing by the day. I don't like it but looks like its happening.

I think you're right. Feels like the dominoes are beginning to fall now.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Null and Void season is unlucky on those near top of tables
Anything else is unfair including table as is or average pointsI
I even think playing 9 games in 4/5 weeks is unfair.
We are in danger of messing up both seasons so hope they just concentrate on next

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

August 2021 or 2022 for a clean start, is a real possibility for the next attended PL matches. Bearing in mind that covid-19 is likely to return in waves.

How would NSC’ers cope without Amex matches for a season or two?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
August 2021 or 2022 for a clean start, is a real possibility for the next attended PL matches. Bearing in mind that covid-19 is likely to return in waves.

How would the club cope with the extra loss in revenue? Many in the Prem might be able to string out a season with no crowds but pretty much the entire leagues 1 and 2 I reckon would go bust as they get bugger all TV money.

Suspect that our season ticket revenue for next season will be used to give us access/streaming codes for all our home matches, but it won't be the same watching footy played out in an empty stadium. Remember watching Wigan a few years ago when they were in the Prem - same thing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How would the club cope with the extra loss in revenue? Many in the Prem might be able to string out a season with no crowds but pretty much the entire leagues 1 and 2 I reckon would go bust as they get bugger all TV money.

Suspect that our season ticket revenue for next season will be used to give us access/streaming codes for all our home matches, but it won't be the same watching footy played out in an empty stadium. Remember watching Wigan a few years ago when they were in the Prem - same thing.

TV money makes up 70% of a PL club like the Albion’s income.

The Championship clubs, some with stupidly high wages (Derby and Massive) would be screwed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Ask PPF?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This PL obsession with finishing a football season when hundreds are still dying and those caring for them don’t even have the basic protective gear is becoming quite distasteful.

Sadly, as we all know, This Means More.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Maybe the lower league clubs would need to shut up shop - basically have no staff at all until gate receipts could resume. Those on the hook for long term contracts, loan and/or rent payments would be in trouble. I would guess that would be most clubs.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
TV money makes up 70% of a PL club like the Albion’s income.

The Championship clubs, some with stupidly high wages (Derby and Massive) would be screwed.

The only way football league clubs could get through this would be for some kind of emergency TV package, whether that’s Sky extending their rights to show every FL game or some kind of PPV or season ticket offering. As a Grimsby fan, I’d be prepared to pay the equivalent of my usual season ticket (around £350) if it meant I could watch every home and away game, though admittedly this has so far impacted me financially less than many others (simply through the fortune of happening to have a job that can continue in the midst of this crisis).

How far down the pyramid could you realistically do that though? At some point there’s a real risk you’re going to have whole divisions of clubs going under. Tragic is the wrong word at this time, but it’s another depressing side effect of this whole ordeal.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Football, at the top of the pyramid, has been exposed for what it is during this outbreak.

The damage caused by the insistence on completion of the season which is purely financial, combined with players still taking home ridiculous monies whilst the majority suffer will live long in the memory of many.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have never sat easy with PL wages but they do have huge income. If they lose money simple spend spend £30m less on transfers, Its lower clubs where big problem. and even in div 1/2 some players on £4/5 k a week where owners chasing dream. Needs some sense lower down and some with low gates going part time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here