Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Burnley today revealed that they’ll lose £45m in revenue if this season is never completed. The Albion’s figure would be very similar, so that would be another £45m for TB to find out of his personal pocket. It’s no wonder the owners are determined on this.
~£25 million for Albion.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1246557744708157440?s=19

No indication that this amount would have to be met by a single payment. Perhaps a discount on next year's TV income ?

Anyway, the bigger problem is prolonging the uncertainty of what league, and thus income level, the Albion will have next season.

Loses are sustainable IF certainty about next season happens sooner rather than later.

Racking up Premier League level expenses month after month with relegation only determined by maybe November would be near bankrupting for the Albion.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It will be interesting to see if us having huge numbers out on loan works in our favour next 'term', whether that is this season or next.

Potentially we don't need to recruit at all.

But will we be stuck with a massive wage bill because nobody can afford to buy anyone?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
~£25 million for Albion.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1246557744708157440?s=19

No indication that this amount would have to be met by a single payment. Perhaps a discount on next year's TV income ?

Anyway, the bigger problem is prolonging the uncertainty of what league, and thus income level, the Albion will have next season.

Loses are sustainable IF certainty about next season happens sooner rather than later. Racking up Premier League level expenses month after month with relegation only determined by maybe November would be near bankrupting for the Albion.

Thanks.

The club already lose £21m a year, so TB will have to inject another £45m if the season’s null and voided, plus the loss of other income which Burnley computed as £5m. I would imagine that some owners (eg Burnley, Palace, Norwich) don’t have the ready wealth of TB. Must be focusing minds.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thanks.

The club already lose £21m a year, so TB will have to inject another £45m if the season’s null and voided, plus the loss of other income which Burnley computed as £5m. I would imagine that some owners (eg Burnley, Palace, Norwich) don’t have the ready wealth of TB. Must be focusing minds.

If the TV companies don’t pay up, guess how much the fees go up by next time....

I wouldn’t be shocked if the PL started their own channel with a number of packages

Pay as you go
Club packages
Monthly packages with all matches

They would make far more.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If the TV companies don’t pay up, guess how much the fees go up by next time....

I wouldn’t be shocked if the PL started their own channel with a number of packages

Pay as you go
Club packages

Sky Sports and BT need the PL. Golf, RL, RU and F1 alone would make Sky Sports a far, far smaller business, BT Sport would be left with CL matches which would make it a tiny player.

Besides, what would Jim White and Dharmesh be left to gossip about?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sky Sports and BT need the PL. Golf, RL, RU and F1 alone would make Sky Sports a far, far smaller business, BT Sport would be left with CL matches which would make it a tiny player.

Besides, what would Jim White and Dharmesh be left to gossip about?

It’s not just the actual football - they make a lot if content sky use

Plus other stuff people might be interested in such as PL2 and Esports.

Sky Sports would be nothing without the football

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Pay as you go
Club packages

I thought the packages were done on a bidding process.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Pay as you go
Club packages

Only happens if the Premier League collective bargaining position is abandoned - and if it is, that's the end of the Premier League. In a narrow cast world, to individual purchasers, the distribution of money is incredibly skewed towards the biggest clubs with the most massive 'brand' reach. And this ultimately leads to a European/Global super league with Celtic/Rangers/Leeds in the mix. Understand that the 13-14 million UK Sky homes all of a sudden become 3-400 million global homes and each of the (biggest) clubs gets a deep mine of data to monetise that global/paying audience. If the well runs dry from the broadcast players then this will, in all probability, be the direction of travel and UEFA and FIFA will be ****ed too.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Burnley today revealed that they’ll lose £45m in revenue if this season is never completed. The Albion’s figure would be very similar, so that would be another £45m for TB to find out of his personal pocket. It’s no wonder the owners are determined on this.

They actually said they'd go bust in August if football doesn't restart.

It doesn't stack up, the Clarets big claim in recent years has been that they are debt free, own Turf Moor, and as a result of this were listed in the top 20 richest clubs in the world, is the bankruptcy claim tantamount to emotional blackmail?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It doesn't stack up, the Clarets big claim in recent years has been that they are debt free, own Turf Moor, and as a result of this were listed in the top 20 richest clubs in the world, is the bankruptcy claim tantamount to emotional blackmail?

Mike Garlick, the Burnley chairman, didn't actually say they'd go bankrupt - I think that was a sensationalist spin put on things by some media outlets.

What he said was: "The fact of the matter is, if we don’t finish the season and there isn’t a clear start date for next season, we, as a club, will run out of money by August. That is a fact."

Running out of cash does not equal bankruptcy.

If Burnley are debt-free (and I have no idea if they are) then this could simply mean that existing cash reserves become fully depleted at that time, and they will have to start using borrowing, or other means, in order to continue to meet their outgoings.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Could be but it could also indicate the thin line between success and failure for football clubs. For years we have asked the question, when will the bubble burst. Probably no-one predicted it would be a global pandemic, but it just may be that this event is the thing that re-aligns football more sensibly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not disagreeing with you. It depends on whether Burnley's owner has huge sums of readily available cash to inject. Their payroll costs for 2017/18 were £81m (we all know that players make up the bulk of these figures). Players are seemingly refusing to take a pay cut, instead planning to make significant donations to NHS and similar charities, something Jordan Henderson is orchestrating.

So their overwhelming cost will remain, but with little income to come if this PL season is annulled and 2020/21 starts at a much later date.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've now reached the point at which I couldn't care less what happens to this football season. There simply isn't a single solution that is going to please everybody, be it abandon the season completely, play remaining games behind closed doors, wait until it can resume as normal, or whatever. The 2019/2020 football season is now lost.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've now reached the point at which I couldn't care less what happens to this football season. There simply isn't a single solution that is going to please everybody, be it abandon the season completely, play remaining games behind closed doors, wait until it can resume as normal, or whatever. The 2019/2020 football season is now lost.

Quite, I no longer give a shit, even if we end up in the Championship, although I would feel bad for TB and his losses. He seems to have been very classy so far and doesn’t deserve to see his club relegated.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Just because you've reached that point, it doesn't mean you're right to say it's lost. It isn't lost and you'll be enthused again when it resumes. Or not, I don't know you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here