Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 9-10/12/23

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Because from that angle, it looks like Hughes gets the ball. I thought that too at the time. However is clear he didn't get the ball
Yeah, I'm not going to die on this hill, but i thought this was a physical game, Endo just collapses on the merest contact. Ref could have given a foul and no one complains really, but he decided to play on so i don't think it needs to be re-refereed.

Still ref did have a big think about it, so was his decision in the end

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The ref saw that clearly in the build up. If he didn't think it was a foul then, why now?

Referee watches it 20+ times and changes his mind, absolute nonsense.

How can something be a clear and obvious error if it takes 20+ times watching it in slow mo to decide you’re wrong?
Are you supporting Palace?

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
I think if it was the critical challenge in a penalty, fine, overrule. But it was just in the buildup, it was hardly a blatant error, it's just VAR intervening where it didn't need to.

But it's the same passage of play that led to the penalty. If Hughes hadn't made that foul then the penalty would never have arisen, so it has to be counted by VAR. I think this penalty shows exactly how VAR should work and correctly. It just takes too long. Maddeley didn't need 20 watches of the replay to come to a decision.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Correct decision but took to long. Obvious to VAR that a clear foul so should have told ref within a minute to look at screen. Ref should have seen it and nothing to stop linesman flagging

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Has there ever been a time when the ref has gone over to the screen and stuck to his original decision?

I can't remember it ever happening.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Gernerally because if they're sent over to the screen, it’s because they have made a mistake.
No it isn’t though, refereeing decisions are often subjective, var officials might slow down video and watch and incident 20 times in slow motion, doesn’t mean the referees decision at real time was wrong, it’s absolute over analysis of a game of close decisions that aren’t black and white.

Referees are sent to the monitor too much IMO, clear an obvious we were told when VAR was brought in, many many decisions that referees have to watch in slow mo multiple times aren’t clear.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'll say it very quietly.

VAR enabled the correct decision to be made.
No VAR in the Sunderland vs West Brom (I’ve been watching Sarmiento).

Sunderland scored a goal. Ruled offside. Not even close to being offside in the replay. VAR would have picked that 99% of the time providing the lines were drawn correctly.

There are benefits to VAR.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let’s be honest that’s one of those that because it’s palace it’s correct decision and no arguments, if that’s us we’d say that’s very very soft, especially by the parameters of ‘clear and obvious’ for me if the referee has to watch that many times then by definition it can’t be obvious.

It really depends what clear and obvious means. Does it mean that
a) the foul by Hughes is easy to see?
b) once you take the time to look closely, it's undeniable that it is a foul by Hughes?

It is a fact that it was a foul. It was an (understandable) error by the ref. Those are facts, so it's not subjective, so from that point of view it is clear and obvious. It's just that it wasn't easy to see on first viewing, so not clear from that point of view.

It's a shame that it's taken so long, but it makes a big difference to the game so it's the sort of thing we want to be right. There are many things wrong with VAR at the moment, but I don't think this is one of them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has there ever been a time when the ref has gone over to the screen and stuck to his original decision?

I can't remember it ever happening.
I have a vague, probably imaginary memory of it happening in the early days, but certainly not for a long time. Which then begs the question as to the point of them going to the monitor at all. If VAR want the ref to check, then by definition it's not clear and obvious. If it is clear and obvious, then VAR don't need to ask the ref.

Of course when VAR make a bad call, the ref doesn't get a chance to ignore them, but since they never ignore the bad calls anyway perhaps we should just bin the monitor. We'll end up with exactly the same decisions as we currently have, but a lot less time used, which is one of the main criticisms of VAR. VAR will clearly have the same (or more) authority than the ref, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with that.

Last edited:

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I genuinely think the same.

We really need a win against Burnley if we want to qualify for Europe again.
Really? In December with 20 odd games to go, don't think so. Think you should say it would be nice to win today towards our hope of getting into Europe.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If that's not a foul by Hughes, it's a handball by the liverpool player and the penalty would/should have been overturned anyway.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The Lamptey incident for us against Tottenham away a few seasons ago, only time.
Ah ok. I don't remember that.
No it isn’t though, refereeing decisions are often subjective, var officials might slow down video and watch and incident 20 times in slow motion, doesn’t mean the referees decision at real time was wrong, it’s absolute over analysis of a game of close decisions that aren’t black and white.

Referees are sent to the monitor too much IMO, clear an obvious we were told when VAR was brought in, many many decisions that referees have to watch in slow mo multiple times aren’t clear.
If I were a ref, and VAR had told me 'I think you made a mistake', in front of an audience of millions, I would want to play the video several times to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that having been given the chance to redeem myself, I came to the right decision in the end.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Classic palace isnt it. Just when you finally think they're down and out and looking forward to seeing them get a kicking while crying on the floor ...... They somehow scrap together a reasonable performance.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Classic palace isnt it. Just when you finally think they're down and out and looking forward to seeing them get a kicking while crying on the floor ...... They somehow scrap together a reasonable performance.
They, like so many teams, always up their games against the big 6 (and us). They wouldn't be putting in this sort of performance if they were facing wolves or everton or the like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here