Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 30-31/1

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They did and the replay I just saw in the post match analysis (I missed most of the match) shows it did deflect off his thigh.

? - so if the ball bounces off you onto your arm it's not handball, but if it is knocked onto your arm by someone else from the same sort of distance, it is handball?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Great header and counter attack goal by Wilson today but he missed a couple of sitters as well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
? - so if the ball bounces off you onto your arm it's not handball, but if it is knocked onto your arm by someone else from the same sort of distance, it is handball?

Essentially, yes. If someone hits the ball towards you and you move your arm out of what you think is the path of the ball because you don't want to handball it, of course, but want to block the shot so you move your leg to block it, and the ball strikes your leg and bounces up and hits your arm, do you think you should be penalised? The handball law started as, or at least in modern, pre-VAR times 'deliberate handling'. If your arm is out of the way of the flight of the ball, until it takes an unexpected deflection is it really fair for you to be punished?

If your arm is in the flight of the ball and you leave it there, you are making a conscious decision to leave your arm in the path of the ball*, which falls in line with the idea of intentional handling.

I get that this specific incident, there is an argument that it would have struck his arm regardless of the deflection, but we won't 'know' that, because it did take a deflection, and the decision has to be based on what did happen.

*Referees are supposed to consider distance/speed of ball among other things, essentially whether they would have time to make a decision

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

Yes, so if the ball hits any part of your body you have a short window to handle the ball with impunity :mad::mad:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Quality miss there from Werner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Followed by a Mason Mount shot clearing the roof of the stadium and entering lunar orbit.

Are Chelsea being paid to throw this one?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Essentially, yes. If someone hits the ball towards you and you move your arm out of what you think is the path of the ball because you don't want to handball it, of course, but want to block the shot so you move your leg to block it, and the ball strikes your leg and bounces up and hits your arm, do you think you should be penalised? The handball law started as, or at least in modern, pre-VAR times 'deliberate handling'. If your arm is out of the way of the flight of the ball, until it takes an unexpected deflection is it really fair for you to be punished?

I think this is why I was querying it. An unexpected deflection off you is okay, an unexpected deflection off an opponent isn't.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Maybe not! 1-0.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think this is why I was querying it. An unexpected deflection off you is okay, an unexpected deflection off an opponent isn't.

When it deflects off you it will always be too close, so the law can reflect that by saying if it deflects off you there's no offence. When it deflects off an opponent they could be too close, but they could equally be far enough away that you have an opportunity to adjust and if you choose not to we're back in the deliberate handling thing, which would be covered by the standard application of the law (i.e. the distance from the ball/speed etc).

So it's not that a deflection off an opponent will be an offence, it will just depend on distance, as it would with a deliberate ball by an opponent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here