Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 3-4/9/22

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We can all bang on about poor ref decisions and the mess that is VAR. However, just seen MOTD and how does an experienced ex pro like Shearer decide Van Dijk tackle is not a straight red?

McTominay seems to have set the yellow standard for ankle breakers this season. A red card all day long. Hard to take Shearer seriously when he gets that so wrong.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
McTominay seems to have set the yellow standard for ankle breakers this season. A red card all day long. Hard to take Shearer seriously when he gets that so wrong.

Who takes him seriously anyway? He’s always come across as a gurning halfwit to me. Boring with it. I’ve never understood how he has got to where he has a pundit.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Where are BHA in the league? According to Lineker, "Man City remain behind Arsenal in 2nd, Spurs are level with City whilst Chelsea move up to 5th". Is it that hard for him to say Brighton remain in 4th?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If there is foul play that starts outside the box and continues inside the box then it should be a penalty. If you start pulling someone's shirt outside and continue to do so but they eventually go down inside the box then that is a penalty. Pretty certain it's always been viewed that way. However, there are very few examples of this. The incident today had shirt pulling outside the area which stopped and then a hand on the shoulder and a suspicion of a trip, three separate things.

You’re absolutely right - Law 12;

“If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick.”

You’re also right that it’s extremely rare, let alone for a VAR decision.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I remember we got a penalty away to Fulham a few years ago in The Championship where contact started outside the box but continued in. Think it was Lua Lua who was brought down in the last minute. Hemed scored the pen.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
That VAR decision against Newcastle was a foul all day long - rightfully disallowed, the guy completely wiped out the keeper. Blatent Shearer bias there - and Murphy and Lineker just went along with it. The Chelsea/West Ham one was a poor VAR decision.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
That VAR decision against Newcastle was a foul all day long - rightfully disallowed, the guy completely wiped out the keeper. Blatent Shearer bias there - and Murphy and Lineker just went along with it. The Chelsea/West Ham one was a poor VAR decision.
Mitchell pushed the player into the keeper. It's more proof VAR is broke, on top of what we have seen today.

Even Palace fans feel they got away with that.

Hope we don't have a dodgy VAR decision go against us V Leicester.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Mitchell pushed the player into the keeper. It's more proof VAR is broke, on top of what we have seen today.

Even Palace fans feel they got away with that.

Hope we don't have a dodgy VAR decision go against us V Leicester.
It went for us against them last year so fingers crossed.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Where are BHA in the league? According to Lineker, "Man City remain behind Arsenal in 2nd, Spurs are level with City whilst Chelsea move up to 5th". Is it that hard for him to say Brighton remain in 4th?

They tend to only mention the teams that played that day.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Absolute shambles of a day

West Ham goal disallowed - if there was an offence it was mendy taking down Bowen
Newcastle goal disallowed - How, just how?
Villa offside goal - never offside
VVD Red card

They didnt show it on MOTD, but Harrison Reed escaped a red card in Spurs game somehow.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Barely a nudge by Mitchell for me.

A tiny bit more than a nudge, but I agree re the over reaction from the Newcastle player. He was obviously looking for a penalty and smashed into the Palace keeper as if he had been hit by a hi speed train. Ridiculous, and got what he deserved...nothing.

Oh...and I really don't like Palace.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't really have a problem with VAR not interferring in the Leeds penalty claim. The shirt pull was a foul, but was outside the area, s VAR can't do anything with that. The arm on the shoulder (a distinct and different incident) I don't think went above the threshold this season for contact, I think the Leeds player was dragging his foot and exaggerating the force of the arm on the shoulder. While I'm sure that may not be a popular decision, I do think it's an entirely reasonable one. Because it's a subjective decision, if that is also the ref's opinion VAR shouldn't question it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Shearer getting more and more annoyed with refs. He is setting himself for up a climax for the Newcastle analysis. He’ll ratchet it up a notch for the West Ham disallowed goal next.
I was watching his reaction to the West Ham decision, and it seemed his comments were mostly so that it didn't look unusual when he went over the top about the Newcastle decision.

The West Ham goal:
Most people seem sure it should have been allowed. I wasn't sure either way to be honest. Bowen did drag his foot (in an attempt to get the ball he was missing) and hit the keeper. Yes the keeper faked his injury, but it still could have been a foul. Was it a blatant foul that VAR had to get involved with? No. But was it definitely not a foul? I don't think so. Hardly the worst VAR decision.

That VAR decision against Newcastle was a foul all day long - rightfully disallowed, the guy completely wiped out the keeper. Blatent Shearer bias there - and Murphy and Lineker just went along with it.

Mitchell pushed the player into the keeper.
Again I think the decision could have been given either way. Mitchell does push Willock, but it's not much of a push - you wouldn't give a foul elsewhere on the pitch for that. Willock then does hit Guaita's arm, which is a foul. I'm not sure it's that clear either way, so VAR probably shouldn't have got involved to overturn it, but it's still not that bad a decision.

Perhaps the penalty decision for Leeds was worse.

Back to Shearer though, and it felt like he's just going to roast any official that gives a debatable decision against Newcastle. As Danny Murphy pointed out with Fergy complaining against refs and making them less likely to give decisions against Manure, Shearer's using MOTD to do the same thing for Newcastle.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Managed to catch up with a few of the games this morning. Gosh Toney is developing in to quite some player, his mixture of raw physicality and sublime skill feels pretty unmatched currently. Marsch is rapidly becoming my new most hated manager. The guy is a horrible mix of 90s telly evangelist and John McEnroe. Deserved the sending off and it won’t be his last. I actually thought Maupay played really well- we know he misses chances but he definitely added some guts to a flagging Everton. VAR being VAR (or our version of it). I don’t get it.

Can’t wait for 2pm.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The fact that people are arguing whether the VAR got the decision right or wrong proves just one thing. The VAR shouldn't have got involved - it wasn't clear and obvious enough to justify the VAR intervention.
Solution? A senior ex-professional footballer at Stockley Park - not to make the decisions, but to decide whether or not the VAR can get involved, so the VAR can only stick his nose in if invited to do so.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What a crock of shit, was that push on Ericksen any worse than the push on March for Leicester’s first goal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here