Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Predictions for attendance on Tuesday?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know that, and I have no problem with it. It just seems to me that a very large number of people who have paid for tickets to games, evening or not, are not coming.

For those who are coming from afar, that is totally understandable. But it seems to be more than that.

Hopefully we will see a performance tomorrow night, and the stay-always will be enticed back. But if STHs continue to miss games, then it would appear obvious that many will not renew next year. Relegation or not.

That does not bode well.

We are in a fairly affluent area, and this, coupled with the (very good) DD scheme contributes to a degree of inertia. I suspect there are a number (I know a few) of STHs to whom £50 a month is not a significant part of their outlay, so they just let it carry on and only attend games when they feel like it, happy to keep paying on the off chance it means Premier League at some point, or priority for a 'big' game. Relegation could well prompt many of these to cancel their DDs.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
A number of STH cannot get to evening games.

Yep, me in that category generally although I must confess I'm not nearly making the effort I would normally currently due to the sheer boredom of watching us play currently. So won't be there tonight. Evening games - utter menance!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, me in that category generally although I must confess I'm not nearly making the effort I would normally currently due to the sheer boredom of watching us play currently. So won't be there tonight. Evening games - utter menance!

Wouldn't say the majority of games this season have been boring - far less so than last season. Frustrating, absolutely, but not boring......

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sunny, then dry, weather forecast until kick-off.

After the encouraging performance on TV last Saturday the missing thousands return and roar the Albion to victory.

28, 649

312 Wigan

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
To be fair, even in the seasons in the past 10-15 years or so, when Chelsea weren't winning trophies their plastic fans still sold out Stamford Bridge pretty much every game.

Personally I think the poor performances, and the cost (highest in the division), are what is turning people away, sadly we don't have enough plastic fans to make up the shortfall.

That is where (I think) the board have screwed it up, all was fine with Gus, and Oscar, we were growing the fanbase, were were on a crest of the wave, so they saw the chance to get more money in, hire a no name manager on the cheap, sell off the crown jewels and replace with trinkets picked up in flea markets. It's backfired spectacularly, some fans have decided enough is enough, they don't like what they're seeing, or can't afford/justify the cost, so they've walked away.

This is where the club may have got it wrong, where they have either been naive, greedy or incompetent, there are no new fans to replace them, the ST waiting list has dried up. The big numbers we had last season may well be our threshold at this level, and without on pitch success, they aren't coming back. I don't think they can carry on charging what they are charging, and expect to fill the ground. Things will probably be different if we make it to the Premier League, but for now we need to be Championship Ready (we don't appear to be at the moment), provide good quality Championship football (we don't at the moment), and charge Championship prices (guffaw).

Do you know the average attendance at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea were in the second tier like us?

I think it was only around 15k even when they were flying with Dixon and Durrie.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Was that the Mansfield game where a few of us managed to get over the stands, risk violence from home fans, stewards and police to get at Bellotti in the directors box....the complete shit!:clap2:

...and you tell that to the jcl's , they won't believe you!

C/o the four Yorkshireman :wink:

Even my old mum ran at Belotti

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Definitely feel the same way.

Was it the Boro game with the rail replacements? A friend and I just couldn't be bothered with the utter tedium and frustration of the extra time on the bus, or the re-route via Littlehampton, to bare witness to the utter tedium and frustration of our play that day. Call us bad fans or whatever you want but ultimately it was just a deep down feeling of "I don't want to do this for whats on offer atm."

I remember a midweek game with bus replacements from Lewes to Three Bridges a couple of seasons ago that I happily put up with but wouldn't dare if that was the same case this evening. Am typing this as I start two weeks off work and am giving serious consideration to not coming down this evening either. Such a shame but just feel a bit meh about it all, even after Saturday's considerably better performance.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Do you know the average attendance at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea were in the second tier like us?

I think it was only around 15k even when they were flying with Dixon and Durrie.

I think you may be right, but my point is that Chelsea have the plastics in reserve now, if 5000 don't renew season tickets, there are another 5000 waiting to take them up. Sadly for us we don't have those extras out there to make up the shortfall at the moment at this level, not based on the prices we charge, and the quality of the team/performances. The gambles taken by the club are not paying off right now, dwindling attendance, increased prices, coupled to poor recruitment on the management and playing side are the result. FFP is of course vitally important, that's why we employ a £0.5M-a-year CEO, but it seems to me that the decisions being taken are at odds with what is happening elsewhere. It's cheaper to go and watch all the teams at the top of this division, they've all recruited better players than we have, their (better, experienced) managers are all getting the performances out of the players. We had the biggest 'crowds' in the division for the past 2 seasons, and now a number of the other teams have bigger crowds than us. With the exception of Forest :laugh: the other teams seem to be getting it right, their CEOs, their player recruitment policies, their players, their Chairmen(?). Our lot need to look at the changes they've made, work out which of them have lead to this downturn, and decide if they want to do something about it or not.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Definitely feel the same way.

Was it the Boro game with the rail replacements? A friend and I just couldn't be bothered with the utter tedium and frustration of the extra time on the bus, or the re-route via Littlehampton, to bare witness to the utter tedium and frustration of our play that day. Call us bad fans or whatever you want but ultimately it was just a deep down feeling of "I don't want to do this for whats on offer atm."

I remember a midweek game with bus replacements from Lewes to Three Bridges a couple of seasons ago that I happily put up with but wouldn't dare if that was the same case this evening. Am typing this as I start two weeks off work and am giving serious consideration to not coming down this evening either. Such a shame but just feel a bit meh about it all, even after Saturday's considerably better performance.

Stick with it fella, sod's law suggests you will miss a win otherwise. Transport will be ok tonight (not least because crowd will be down). We still need loyal fans to turn up and get behind the team.

PG

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
well if our 2 empty seats out of 4 are a guide I predict around 12,000...although announced attendance will still be approx. 24k of course. Note the missing two are nothing to do with the entertainment on offer, one has a chest infection and I can't get a babysitter! Normally I can sell them on pretty easily but no takers for tonight, that may tell a story...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think you may be right, but my point is that Chelsea have the plastics in reserve now, if 5000 don't renew season tickets, there are another 5000 waiting to take them up. Sadly for us we don't have those extras out there to make up the shortfall at the moment at this level, not based on the prices we charge, and the quality of the team/performances. The gambles taken by the club are not paying off right now, dwindling attendance, increased prices, coupled to poor recruitment on the management and playing side are the result. FFP is of course vitally important, that's why we employ a £0.5M-a-year CEO, but it seems to me that the decisions being taken are at odds with what is happening elsewhere. It's cheaper to go and watch all the teams at the top of this division, they've all recruited better players than we have, their (better, experienced) managers are all getting the performances out of the players. We had the biggest 'crowds' in the division for the past 2 seasons, and now a number of the other teams have bigger crowds than us. With the exception of Forest :laugh: the other teams seem to be getting it right, their CEOs, their player recruitment policies, their players, their Chairmen(?). Our lot need to look at the changes they've made, work out which of them have lead to this downturn, and decide if they want to do something about it or not.

But none of those teams have expanded in the way that we have in the past few years. It is important to remember the speed at which this club has grown and how much it has changed in a relatively short period of time. I'd say that up until this season the 'gambles' have paid off, two playoff runs and top of the attendance charts. Not a bad job in my opinion.

What has changed this season is that we are experiencing on field adversity for the first time at the Amex and what is the response from large elements of the Albion faithful? To throw their toys out of the pram and cry like babies and threaten to desert the team. Very poor show in my view.

FWIW I do think Sami has a case to answer re his formation and team set up, I do not feel it has helped us this season. I'd also agree that some of the recruitment has not paid off, but you can never tell until the players actually turn up and play. A few weeks ago Holla and Teixera were the second coming now look at them. It's swings and roundabouts none knew Ulloa was going to be a massive hit until he arrived, but what a hit he was, (still didn't stop people moaning at him though, lazy my arse!)

That said I'll still be going to the game tonight wanting the team to win.

It's when the team are not good that they need the support the most.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
But none of those teams have expanded in the way that we have in the past few years. It is important to remember the speed at which this club has grown and how much it has changed in a relatively short period of time. I'd say that up until this season the 'gambles' have paid off, two playoff runs and top of the attendance charts. Not a bad job in my opinion.

What has changed this season is that we are experiencing on field adversity for the first time at the Amex and what is the response from large elements of the Albion faithful? To throw their toys out of the pram and cry like babies and threaten to desert the team. Very poor show in my view.

FWIW I do think Sami has a case to answer re his formation and team set up, I do not feel it has helped us this season. I'd also agree that some of the recruitment has not paid off, but you can never tell until the players actually turn up and play. A few weeks ago Holla and Teixera were the second coming now look at them. It's swings and roundabouts none knew Ulloa was going to be a massive hit until he arrived, but what a hit he was, (still didn't stop people moaning at him though, lazy my arse!)

Nail on head.

For all the wittering on this (and others) thread, its only the last 2 lines of the above that matter.

PG

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This with bells on. Whether it's being naive or arrogant we just got it spectacularly wrong in the summer in my humble opinion. I know it's wrong to stereotype but I'm going to anyway. In general I see 4 "types" at the Amex. "The die hards" - most will go away, all will go to every home game they can make. Often in the same groups with many now bringing their kids to the game to give them the bug too, or kids themselves who grew up on Withdean afternoons. Can be counted on to go no matter what. "The returners" - people who went to the Goldstone a fair bit and away for big games or good days out but who couldn't stand the depressing surrounds of Gillingham and Withdean. Can be counted to go to the big games at the Amex (of which there aren't many since we lost Pompey, Stains and Palarse) and go regularly when we are doing well. "The new breed" - DFLers and Sussex Rugby Club members, people with too much money who bought an ST and probably one of those seat licence things (whatever happened to them?) but only so they had a seat when we got in the Premier League. Not turning up currently and not likely to renew next season at the moment. Likely to barge you our of the way at London Bridge to claim the last table seat on the train home. "The exiles" - people who love the club but live a fair way away (like Bwian on this thread). Probably need to justify the journey to themselves each time and who can blame them?

There is a significant portion of the above who simply won't hang around if the product isn't good enough and I think the summer gambles haven't factored this in to account enough.

Tuesday? 23k announced, 18k bums on seats max.

I fall in to the 'returners', the ones who went to the Goldstone and stood on the east terrace in all weathers-regardless of the league we were in. I rarely went to Gillingham, and only to Withdean a few times. That was mainly due to bad finances and it being such a depressing experience for me. I was still missing the Goldstone too much. It was as if the club I knew had gone.

I still only went a few times during the Poyet years at the AMEX, but finances allowed a season ticket last year, and this year I renewed as well. I think I've finally accepted the AMEX as Albion's true home so expect to be there whatever league we are in from now on, as long as finances and life circumstances allow. I enjoy my perch in the ESU as many of the folk around me were Goldstone regulars. It is a bit like the old east terraces again, but it in the modern football guise. As you will now from our Goldstone days, it doesn't matter about the results, it's the football experience and who you go with, or are comfortable having around you-and I think I'm finally comfortable with the AMEX, and that's what matters most to me. So rather than my attendance dropping off due to bad results it is likely to hold fast. It's taken me a long time to get to that point though, and the results have had little to do with it.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Makes it all the more important that the club don't let what they had get away, so identify the mistakes of the past 6 months or so, and deal with them. Otherwise the doom mongers will get their apparent wish of a half empty stadium in division three.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Two playoff runs and top of the attendance charts mean nothing if those opportunities were wasted, leading to the departures of the managers who got us to the playoffs

Nobody is 'crying like babies' nor are they theatening to desert the team. Some are simply choosing to exercise their right to not make the effort that requires a damn sight more commitment than people living locally for mid-week games.

We all want the team to win.

​Sometimes it is the stay away support's statement that is as important as the crowd who turn up 'supporting the team' come what may. The owner(s) sometimes need reminding that getting complacement over support is a dangerous game to play and people will vote with their feet if they (the club) get things wrong. This season has seen disappointing results and performances coupled with a growing feeling that we are thought of as little more than cash cows. People will choose other options. It isn't 'throwing toys out'.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Disagree, the Albion would've long since gone out of existence without these people.
What's that got to do with it? The fact that I've been going for 22 years means I love football and brighton . Some people like football and enjoy going to have fun and see a winning side. Why do I have or anyone have a right to judge them?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What's that got to do with it? The fact that I've been going for 22 years means I love football and brighton . Some people like football and enjoy going to have fun and see a winning side. Why do I have or anyone have a right to judge them?

Because we're talking about "supporters", i.e. people who support the club and keep it going. It's got EVERYTHING to do with it. I'm not judging anyone though and don't have a problem with people going as much or as little as they want.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Nail on head.

For all the wittering on this (and others) thread, its only the last 2 lines of the above that matter.

PG

No it isn't though is it? It may be in your simplistic, every thing at the club is rosy, live 2 minutes away world. Other people's circumstances are different from yours.

I won't be childish and give you a thumbs down simply because I disagree with you though.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
But why didn't you go in the 1960s, 70s and 80s then? …………………………………………………………………………………………. lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here