Predict a world cup SHOCK

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I've never really understood what this mental strength arguement means. No one has ever really properly explained it to me. Can anyone have a go on here?

I can't, not least because I think it's a myth. Because all players get nervous; it just becomes a question of dealing with it. And even when Germany's mental strength is being admired, it still carries a bit of a slight implication that they're unthinking square-headed cold-blooded robots etc etc.

Personally, I just think the Germany team just prepares to an amazing extent, including doing a huge amount of homework on their opponents: remember that scribbled note that Lehmann was handed - by Olli Kahn no less, although he didn't prepare it - about how ALL of the Argentineans were likely to take their penalties in Berlin in 2006? That kind of thing might look like mental strength from the outside but it just comes down to hard work, a solid team mentality that can even deal with strutting individuals like Ballack and Kahn and - crucially I think - totally respecting your opponent.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've never really understood what this mental strength arguement means. No one has ever really properly explained it to me. Can anyone have a go on here?

I would say that people mean the Germans always play to their ability or a bit better. They do not concede silly goals and most of all they hardly ever lose on penalties.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm still not clear. This isnt an explanation, it's more changing some words. Can you go a little deeper please.

Not really, they just never seem to bottle it. No idea why although MoH's explanation below seems pretty plausible. Whatever the reason for it, they have theappearance of being incredibly mentally tough as highlighted by their amazing record in penalty shoot outs(one defeat ever, i think).
Personally, I just think the Germany team just prepares to an amazing extent, including doing a huge amount of homework on their opponents: remember that scribbled note that Lehmann was handed - by Olli Kahn no less, although he didn't prepare it - about how ALL of the Argentineans were likely to take their penalties in Berlin in 2006? That kind of thing might look like mental strength from the outside but it just comes down to hard work, a solid team mentality that can even deal with strutting individuals like Ballack and Kahn and - crucially I think - totally respecting your opponent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't, not least because I think it's a myth. Because all players get nervous; it just becomes a question of dealing with it. And even when Germany's mental strength is being admired, it still carries a bit of a slight implication that they're unthinking square-headed cold-blooded robots etc etc.

This is my feeling on the matter as well. I struggle to get my head round the idea that players like A Cole, Rooney, Terry, Ferdinand and James and possibly others lack mental strength any more than their opponents might.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is my feeling on the matter as well. I struggle to get my head round the idea that players like A Cole, Rooney, Terry, Ferdinand and James and possibly others lack mental strength any more than their opponents might.
I guess we'll see, because if any manager is capable of organising a team in terms of preparation and understanding opponents, it is Capello.

No favourites in Capello's squad, he seems to demand hard work and the correct attitude. I'm hopeful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not really, they just never seem to bottle it. No idea why although MoH's explanation below seems pretty plausible. Whatever the reason for it, they have theappearance of being incredibly mentally tough as highlighted by their amazing record in penalty shoot outs(one defeat ever, i think).

Maybe the old adage 'practice makes perfect' might play a part?

Remember, there was a period in England when the (absurd) notion that it was pointless to practise penalties as you couldnt recreate the big-match atmosphere prevalied.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Maybe the old adage 'practice makes perfect' might play a part?

Remember, there was a period in England when the (absurd) notion that it was pointless to practise penalties as you couldnt recreate the big-match atmosphere prevalied.

Well, that probably didn't help us too much. Whatever the cause I wish England had the same ability(whether it's down to superbly meticulous preparation or is some kind of native Derren Brown-esque mind power).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, that probably didn't help us too much. Whatever the cause I wish England had the same ability(whether it's down to superbly meticulous preparation or is some kind of native Derren Brown-esque mind power).

Good point. Didn't Yuri Gehler (sp?) once move the ball just as Beckham was about to take a spot kick? Maybe there is more to this mental strength thing than I first thought?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Chile to win their group or Portugal to finish bottom og theirs.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Crouch to win the golden boot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here