Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] PPV price point - what would you be prepared to pay?

Would you pay £9.95 for PPV matches involving the Albion?

• No. Against the concept of PPV

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Yes - for pretty much all matches

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • Yes - for about half to three quarters of matches

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • Yes for about 5-10 or so matches

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Yes - the occasional one here and there

Votes: 31 19.0%
  • Only consider it if it was lower still (please give sensible maximum price)

Votes: 30 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Am I understanding correctly.
Are people genuinely prepared to pay to watch us get humped by Liverpool/City but not prepared to pay to watch us in critical winnable games?

Or are they talking about paying for neutral games?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Am I understanding correctly.
Are people genuinely prepared to pay to watch us get humped by Liverpool/City but not prepared to pay to watch us in critical winnable games?

Or are they talking about paying for neutral games?

neutral I think . . . . I'd pay if our games are PPV and not shown normally . . . . I'm assuming there's something in it for the club . . .and it'll be better than a dodgy stream.

have no intention of paying more than I already do for anyone elses games.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Exactly. He said multi cameras (8+), the pundits talking crap before and h/t would make it dearer than that for starters.

Make it a 'budget' show with one camera and no talkers.....£4.99 it is!

Your Aldi PPV

Aren’t the cameras at every game anyway for overseas coverage and MOTD? Not sure if the pundits/commentators are the same for overseas (English speaking anyway) but I’ve often found a stream with UK type coverage. As far as I can see the only extra expense is broadcasting it.

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Sorry no from me. It is as has been said before the thin end of the wedge. If successful there is a distinct possibility that Ppv will be here to stay. Will also creep into other sports including tennis, golf, F1 and so on. Boxing already gone. IMHO

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The Football Supporters' Association are in constant dialogue with the Premier League.

We've been asked to gauge fans' reaction to PPV. They're asking, given that £14.95 is almost universally considered too high, would you be more likely to pay £9.95, in line with iFollow? If so, would this be for around 25 or so games (obvs Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea etc would have fewer games on PPV).

They are at pains to point out no discussion has been made; they are merely after the fans' reaction.

Thanks in advance.

You can tell the PL to go and do one with their greed.

They make enough money, stop fleecing honest supporters and milking their loyalty for every damn cent. I will not pay.

That’s my message.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My understanding is that this is the only chance clubs have got of replacing lost matchday revenue.

I'm more than happy to use my Season ticket refund to pay for each game we feature in.
I balked at the idea of paying whilst the club were holding onto my payments.
But now they have released these funds it seems the right thing for supporters (who would have attended games) to sign up for PPV.
It's less money than attending the games and some of the money will be going back to the clubs.

Paying £15 for all PPV game will see revenue going back to the club.
Buying a NowTV day/month subscription doesn't (to the best of my knowledge)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I dislike the whole PPV concept [one-off payment for just one-show].

But I would pay a TV membership direct to BHA for access to every match to watch on TV at home - £200 per season / annum - which works out at about £5 per game.

Oh, and there is no one else at home that would be sharing / diluting this cost ....

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Must confess I would struggle to build up the motivation to pay to watch us away at a big six but might do for a winnable match.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You can tell the PL to go and do one with their greed.

They make enough money, stop fleecing honest supporters and milking their loyalty for every damn cent. I will not pay.

That’s my message.

Can't argue with the message, but Paul Barber made very clear that the broadcasters set the price on a take it or leave it basis and the Premier League opted to take it so the fans could choose whether to pay or not.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I watch Brighton and that's enough to satiate my football needs so I don't have a subscription to SKY though i do have the BTSport mobile app which was a sign up freebie. I top up live games with nowtv at £10 a go for about 5 games a season . I will probably watch most of the games on PPV as I am not going out to pubs....I think a £10 is better.

BHAFCLive

Sep 21, 2018
I agree with those who said the price prepared to pay would fluctuate depending on the number of games. The longer it goes on for, the harder it is to justify paying £15 for one televised match and absolutely nothing else.

We have averaged 13 televised PL games per season since 2017, meaning 25 not broadcast in the UK. If fans are shut out for the entire season, 25 x £15 would be a huge cost and gradually some of these I'd pass on depending on fixture.

Whereas if it were a guarantee for say a maxmium of 10 games across the season on PPV then £15 - whilst still too high - is more viable for me to accommodate.

When the Premier League had one regular PPV match per week beginning in 2001, you could buy individually for somewhere between £5 and £8 per match, or a season ticket 40 games for £40. These are much more acceptable prices as a fan, particularly whilst this is the ONLY option and cannot attend in person.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm against the principal of PPV so won't be participating, but I think there are two approaches that might make it slightly more palatable.

1. Offer an 'early bird' discount so its £10 if booked 48 hours out.
2. Band the games like home games, band ABC with less glamorous games cheaper, means the fans of teams likely to be on PPV more often are paying less, but if big 6 are on they have to pay full whack.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
£25 a month and to keep the broadcasting cost down can just show the game without crap commentators, fake crowd noise, boring pundits or any of the other tedious nonsense

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here