Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Insistence On Starting Forster On The Bench Is Costing Us Valuable Points

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Watch the Season Tickets DVD. Forster is the star. He should start every match. As much as I admire Murray's industry his first touch is awful; he is very poor at heading and he misses relatively simple goal scoring chances.

I thought Murray has a good touch personally, his first touch when a ball is punted to him to keep it under his control with defenders on his back, is rather impressive. Shit in the air though. Has he scored a header for us before?

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I think a lot people underestimate the pressure the team is under at Withdean now to get wins, whereas away from home we can play a more counter attacking game which clearly suits the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 call it what you want set up with 2 wingers...
Perhaps it's easier to see this from a distance when you're not so directly involved and living every minute of every home game?
As for playing Murray every time over Forster, I would personally given Gus' preference for staring with just one striker but I can understand why others wouldn't, all I can think is perhaps there's more to "Forstergate" than we know about - he really must have really put Gus offside.
I always thought this game was potential speedbump / banana skin call it what you will (not that I'm pleased with myself for doing so as I'm usually hopelessly optimistic), but I'm quietly confident about Tuesday's game as I for one feel Brentford have overachieved this season where as Swindon pretty much deserve to be where they are.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed in my sleep on Tuesday....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't think it would have made any difference who we played as Danny Wilson has had the Indian sign on us since that playoff win at Cardiff. Have we won a game against any of his teams since then?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Don't think it would have made any difference who we played as Danny Wilson has had the Indian sign on us since that playoff win at Cardiff. Have we won a game against any of his teams since then?

Wilson also sussed out our 4-5-1 fairly quickly (although not sure if Pericard was taken off because he was injured, and for tactical reasons). Either way, the midfield became VERY congested, especially second half. I was pretty unhappy with Swindon's constant time-wasting, but you have to say that Wilson got it right tactically.

I'm pretty sure that Gus WILL change things around on Tuesday, because we really do need 3 points. If Arismendi is fit, I could see him coming in for Navarro (who didn't have a great game), and possibly Forster in for Bennett. We'd lose something from dead-balls, but we'd have a better shape, and probably more space for Lua Lua.

Feb 14, 2010
We are not going up or down and so keeping players with attitude in their place is more important for the future. Well done Gus. Show Forster the door as soon as we are safe.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Poyet is gelling a flair, exciting squad for next season and beyond and that BOES NOT include Forster. Forster behaved like a cock and came back with his tail between his legs. Yes, thanks for the goals, Nicky but you were paid for your services. Forster I also think got the hump as he was eyeing up a managerial roles at BHAFC and that was slammed shut in his face with the arrival of the FLAIR 2.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think there's a massive tendency for people to have very long memories when it comes to players. I haven't seen Forster give a match winning performance for ages. (I'm not counting the recent hattrick in the reserves as it's not against League 1 opposition. Even Craig Davis was scoring for the RESERVES.) It's a similar story on the thread that's banging on about Michel being an incredible shot stopper. He was. One of the best. Used to be worth a goal a game. But it's a few years since I felt like that about him. Players get older and slower. Lua Lua and Holroyd are the future and getting better, not worse every game.

I still TRUST in GUS. :)

Exactly - I would still pick FDM, but Brez is putting in some good performances, so it is no longer an easy call.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
I think there's a massive tendency for people to have very long memories when it comes to players. I haven't seen Forster give a match winning performance for ages. (I'm not counting the recent hattrick in the reserves as it's not against League 1 opposition. Even Craig Davis was scoring for the RESERVES.) It's a similar story on the thread that's banging on about Michel being an incredible shot stopper. He was. One of the best. Used to be worth a goal a game. But it's a few years since I felt like that about him. Players get older and slower. Lua Lua and Holroyd are the future and getting better, not worse every game.

I still TRUST in GUS. :)

Just a few Forster performances to jog the memory ( before his fallout with Gus )
1) Wycombe away...5-2....Forster and Dicker were brilliant in the 2nd half, helping us run away with the game and another sublime finish
2) Walsall away....2-1...ran his socks off and scored an excellent goal.
3) Villa away....2-3...worked hard and showed his poacher's instinct with a well taken goal.
You may have noticed that we scored 9 goals in these 3 games...with Forster playing a leading part.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Just a few Forster performances to jog the memory ( before his fallout with Gus )
1) Wycombe away...5-2....Forster and Dicker were brilliant in the 2nd half, helping us run away with the game and another sublime finish
2) Walsall away....2-1...ran his socks off and scored an excellent goal.
3) Villa away....2-3...worked hard and showed his poacher's instinct with a well taken goal.
You may have noticed that we scored 9 goals in these 3 games...with Forster playing a leading part.

Southampton away

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Plenty of selective amnesia on here (as usual). There was a big debate on here about whether we should stick with 4-5-1 before the Exeter match, and a big majority seemed to be saying to stick with it because it had worked so well in the tough away games. We beat Exeter.

I agree it didn't work well yesterday, although we created enough to bury Swindon in the first half, and Gus should have changed it earlier in the second half because we were losing control.

I think it goes to show where our major weakness is now. I can see big spending on strikers in the summer.

If you have an experienced goal scorer who is coming towards the end of his career and is probably not going to play a full 90 minutes it seems to me to be better to start with him and bring him off after an hour than to have him on the bench and bring him on as a substitute. A substitute should be an impact player, someone with pace to go up against the tiring legs. Play Forster from the start, if it works, great. Keep him on as long as it is working. If it isn't, bring on the younger guy.

Better this way round in my opinion.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Whatever peoples opinions, Forster is still our leading scorer this season & has proved that whether he is playing well or not he can still pop up with a crucial goal.

for that reason alone, even if he in the bench he should be above Holroyd in the pecking order

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Forster is our best natural goal scorer and should be playing. If he's not starting then fine, I can understand that Murray may be the better option in a 4-5-1, but if you're going to bring a striker off the bench to score goals then the choice between a non league rookie or someone whose scored 185 career league goals isn't difficult.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
OK, Gus, you've made your point re: Forster. You're the boss. But your insistence on leaving Forster out of the starting line-up (unless he's injured) is simply cretinous - and I don't care how good a player or an assistant manager you've been in your time elsewhere.

Murray has more off days than on days (The White Pele - when he's on the telly), Lua Lua is a superb talent but currently has no end product, and the twelve year old kiddie with the tiny head is hopelessly out of his depth. Both on Monday night and today there were a couple of occasions where the ball trickled all the way across the goal line with nobody sniffing around for the simple tap-in. These are where you win the points.

If you don't play Forster, where's the no-brainer fox in the box goals going to come from? ???

Spot on, murrys not the man for the one up front on his own role, in mho, just looks so lazy at times, i watched zamora play for fulham last week and he was just differnt class at holding the ball up and bringing other plays in to the game, thats what we need from murry if we are going too plays this way. At times yesterday all we did was lump it up front to murry!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think its great that Poyet is his own man and has the steel to make his own decisions, its just a shame that he is making a glaring error in the obvious exclusion of Forster. It has nothing to do with fitness because if Forster could not manage half an hour he would not be on the bench.
Might be Poyet`s Achilles heel in evidence here.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Murray is the perfect man for playing up front alone as he wins things in the air. What wasn't happening yesterday was the endeavour of those either side of him to catch onto his flick-ons and motor on. Then, from midfield, Crofts is meant to zoom into the box to get on the end of the crosses either Bennett or LuaLua put in. Bennett could never get it over the first man yesterday, which was a shame as he's normally so effective, and Lua Lua's dinks and crosses never quite had someone attacking those empty spaces.
I thought we controlled the game mostly and wouldn't snub a formation the players are generally comfortable with.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
seems to me 451 away is a really good approach, pack the midfield and Murray can hold up the ball and see if we can nick a goal. At home it should be more about the goals, and 2 up front is necessary unless the midfield really push into support.

Agreed - Murray and Holroyd to start then :lolol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Spot on, murrys not the man for the one up front on his own role, in mho, just looks so lazy at times, i watched zamora play for fulham last week and he was just differnt class at holding the ball up and bringing other plays in to the game, thats what we need from murry if we are going too plays this way. At times yesterday all we did was lump it up front to murry!

ha ha

let's roll out the "Murray is lazy" argument even though it is demonstrably ridiculous based on his form and consistent effort this season- it's something to knock him with after all while we promote our personal favourites.

.............and direct comparison/criticism of a league 1 forward with a premiership one (albeit an ex-albion player) is constructive criticism? We might as well all f*** off and watch Fulham :tantrum:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here