Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Insistence On Starting Forster On The Bench Is Costing Us Valuable Points

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
OK, Gus, you've made your point re: Forster. You're the boss. But your insistence on leaving Forster out of the starting line-up (unless he's injured) is simply cretinous - and I don't care how good a player or an assistant manager you've been in your time elsewhere.

Murray has more off days than on days (The White Pele - when he's on the telly), Lua Lua is a superb talent but currently has no end product, and the twelve year old kiddie with the tiny head is hopelessly out of his depth. Both on Monday night and today there were a couple of occasions where the ball trickled all the way across the goal line with nobody sniffing around for the simple tap-in. These are where you win the points.

If you don't play Forster, where's the no-brainer fox in the box goals going to come from? ???

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Correct as usual Mr Hark. He has to play on Tuesday.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think there's a massive tendency for people to have very long memories when it comes to players. I haven't seen Forster give a match winning performance for ages. (I'm not counting the recent hattrick in the reserves as it's not against League 1 opposition. Even Craig Davis was scoring for the RESERVES.) It's a similar story on the thread that's banging on about Michel being an incredible shot stopper. He was. One of the best. Used to be worth a goal a game. But it's a few years since I felt like that about him. Players get older and slower. Lua Lua and Holroyd are the future and getting better, not worse every game.

I still TRUST in GUS. :)

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I think there's a massive tendency for people to have very long memories when it comes to players. I haven't seen Forster give a match winning performance for ages. (I'm not counting the recent hattrick in the reserves as it's not against League 1 opposition. Even Craig Davis was scoring for the RESERVES.) It's a similar story on the thread that's banging on about Michel being an incredible shot stopper. He was. One of the best. Used to be worth a goal a game. But it's a few years since I felt like that about him. Players get older and slower. Lua Lua and Holroyd are the future and getting better, not worse every game.

I agree. Before the Forster/Toy/Pram incident NF looked well off the pace and as I doubt he's going to be here next year, I say go with the future. And the youth are our future.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems to me 451 away is a really good approach, pack the midfield and Murray can hold up the ball and see if we can nick a goal. At home it should be more about the goals, and 2 up front is necessary unless the midfield really push into support.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
seems to me 451 away is a really good approach, pack the midfield and Murray can hold up the ball and see if we can nick a goal. At home it should be more about the goals, and 2 up front is necessary unless the midfield really push into support.

Is the correct answer

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem is with 4 - 5 -1 we need the wide men to get forward and make it 4 -3-3 as required but our 2 wide men dont do that and until they are able then it must be better to start with 2 men up front and 1 wide man. We had a couple of chances today that had Coxy been the wide man he would have got on the end of in the box.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
McGhee was given massive amounts of stick for playing 4-5-1 at home. And rightly so. What makes Poyet any different? It was apparent early on today that it wasn't working.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Watch the Season Tickets DVD. Forster is the star. He should start every match. As much as I admire Murray's industry his first touch is awful; he is very poor at heading and he misses relatively simple goal scoring chances.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I didn't think Bennett had a good game either, which didn't help, in fact no-one got up to help Murray. If Gus was going to bring Forster on, it should have been a good bit earlier in the second half. And I might have brought on Gary Hart to shake up the Swindon defence a bit. No, he is no world beater, but opposition defenders hate playing against him. Saying that, our passing was awful in the second half; why, when it was so good in the first half, I cannot think. For some reason, the players would not pass to Lua Lua after half time. Elphick and El Abd were also less self-assured today as well which didn't help.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Poyet's Insistence on Starting Forster on the bench is...

.. probably due to the run of decent results recently.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
McGhee was given massive amounts of stick for playing 4-5-1 at home. And rightly so. What makes Poyet any different? It was apparent early on today that it wasn't working.

Agreed. You could smell a goal coming for them and Gus did nothing to change things. Lo and behold, they score and we are chasing another game at home.
Gus was given massive credit on the radio for being bold ( having 3 forwards on ) but we should never have been in that position in the first place.
Time will tell whether Gus remains cautious in his decision making or becomes more pro-active ( the top managers always are )
I am a little concerned that he feels he needs to play the same way, home and away.

Diatribe

Feb 3, 2007

walsall away?

is there any actual PROOF that holroyd isn't jake Robinson with a shaved head? birth certificate or something. I'd like to see it.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
OK, Gus, you've made your point re: Forster. You're the boss. But your insistence on leaving Forster out of the starting line-up (unless he's injured) is simply cretinous - and I don't care how good a player or an assistant manager you've been in your time elsewhere.

Murray has more off days than on days (The White Pele - when he's on the telly), Lua Lua is a superb talent but currently has no end product, and the twelve year old kiddie with the tiny head is hopelessly out of his depth. Both on Monday night and today there were a couple of occasions where the ball trickled all the way across the goal line with nobody sniffing around for the simple tap-in. These are where you win the points.

If you don't play Forster, where's the no-brainer fox in the box goals going to come from? ???

A tad harsh i reckon. He's a young player who needs to adapt to a new team, and a new league. He's looked promising and very very detirmined. give the poor lad a chance! I reckon he'll come clean, he needs a start, maybe Forster and Holroyd to start in place of Murray on tuesday? Murray does NOT score at home! Worth a punt surely? Give him 90 minutes to prove him self with an experienced and capeable of scoring at home Nicky Forster?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I didn't think Bennett had a good game either, which didn't help, in fact no-one got up to help Murray. If Gus was going to bring Forster on, it should have been a good bit earlier in the second half. And I might have brought on Gary Hart to shake up the Swindon defence a bit. No, he is no world beater, but opposition defenders hate playing against him. Saying that, our passing was awful in the second half; why, when it was so good in the first half, I cannot think. For some reason, the players would not pass to Lua Lua after half time. Elphick and El Abd were also less self-assured today as well which didn't help.

Hart does somthing that Murray doesn't do, Holroyd can't do and Nicky does with some sucsess. He can physically battle players. It might not be alot, but him winning teh ball and then a simple pass is goign to do more than Murray getting bullied about, Holroyd showing his age and stature and Nickey having to be the target man rather than the poacher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here