Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's handling of the Barnes Substiution

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Ash got a little excitable in his first incident after his ridiculous yellow, and Gus immediately signalled for Bati to come back from his warm up for the sub. He then told Barnes he was coming off, and told him to trot off to the far corner. As soon as the board went up (2nd time lucky for the 4th official - wanted to bring 5 off for 5 :lol:), Ash happenned to be the furthest point possible from the halfway line - so far that he had difficulty seeing the board and had to "quizikly" hold his hand to his brow to look into the distance, to see "who" was to come off!:smokin:

He then started the long trek to the dugout, and at about half way, Gus did a little jog, to hurry him up.:whistle::rolleyes::banana::D

Fantastic viewing

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I too saw this. But then I was sitting behind you. Gus is a cheeky Latino and no mistake!

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
That was an excellent piece of management!

Not surprise Barnesy got so annoyed. That ref was an A1 fool and should have booked at least 3 of their players (off the ball kick on Muzza in 1st half, reckless tackle on Bridcutt in 1st half, scything down Bennett in 2nd half) before that incident. He should have then got another card out for the almost identical scything down of Bennett a little later. I lost count of the number of times he ignored blatant shirtpulling & climbing on Albion players.

How did that ref get to that level of officiating alive?! If he'd performed like that in park football I'm sure those with shorter tempers would have reacted (obviously not condoning such behaviour - officials should be respected irrespective of their incredibly inept performances etc etc).

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I stood up to give him an ovation as he trotted off. By the time he had made it to the dugout, my whole life has flashed before my eyes.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
And when he got to the dug out, Gus gave him a little kiss on the head!

Sensible substitution. Totally ridiculous booking.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I think Murray got a kiss on the head as well - hands on management at its best.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have to agree with betamax's comments about the ref. They seemed to handball it once a minute too, but he wasn't bothered!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Barnes is a master class at leaving the field of play. It was funny when he left at Southampton this season, he was accompanied by the ref from the centre circle urging him to 'speed' up amid booing from the home crowd. Barnes ignored both and got a yellow for his efforts!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think that Poyet really wanted to take this piss out of Hartlepool. "Look I am now effectively reducing us to ten men by bringing on Batti so Im really humiliating you"

I then chuckled some more as the players just did not seem to pass to him either!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here