Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Comments On The Penalty Miss - Today's Argus

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
People are being hypocritical if they now sing Navarro's praises after they've so publicly slated him on this board after games early on in the season and then criticise Arismende...Surely the fact that Navarro has been playing well after a decent run in the team is proof that you shouldn't judge and criticise players until they've had a chance to have a run in the team?

I wouldn't say that was hypocrisy. 'Rash'? Yes, 'Stupid'? Perhaps. But certainly not hypocritical. But this isn't just about being pedantic on word use...

You can only judge a player on what you see from him, not what you've seen from other people. Yes, Navarro has improved after a rubbish start, but there are probably many examples of players who start rubbish and never improve.

Sure, the experience from watching Navarro improve should have people taking a second before rushing to judgement, but just because Navarro turned it around doesn't mean Arismende will (personally I suspect he will when he gets some matches under his belt).

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
The fact that Navarro is playing better NOW is proof that you shouldn't criticise Arismende who has only played a couple of games since being injured.

People are being hypocritical if they now sing Navarro's praises after they've so publicly slated him on this board after games early on in the season and then criticise Arismende...Surely the fact that Navarro has been playing well after a decent run in the team is proof that you shouldn't judge and criticise players until they've had a chance to have a run in the team?

I remember everyone slating Nogan when he first joined us in the 90's and then he ended up scoring a hatful of goals once he'd had a decent run out.

i'm not criticising Arismendi, no in the slightest. for one thing i wasn't there and didn't listen to the match.

Navarro was shit earlier in teh season, no doubt about it. I don't think that sayign because of Navarro's amazing tansformation, Arismendi isn't open to criticism.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
i'm not criticising Arismendi, no in the slightest. for one thing i wasn't there and didn't listen to the match.

Navarro was shit earlier in teh season, no doubt about it. I don't think that sayign because of Navarro's amazing tansformation, Arismendi isn't open to criticism.

I was probably the biggest detractor of Navarro. And yes he DID have a run in the team to begin with in place of Dicker AND he had a pre season as well.

Navarro was utter, utter shit. If you can get the Charlton at withers or the first 45mins against Millwall away you will see he spent most of the game on his arse or the game just passing him by...

...however lately he has been superb no doubt about it.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I wouldn't say that was hypocrisy. 'Rash'? Yes, 'Stupid'? Perhaps. But certainly not hypocritical. But this isn't just about being pedantic on word use...

You can only judge a player on what you see from him, not what you've seen from other people. Yes, Navarro has improved after a rubbish start, but there are probably many examples of players who start rubbish and never improve.

Sure, the experience from watching Navarro improve should have people taking a second before rushing to judgement, but just because Navarro turned it around doesn't mean Arismende will (personally I suspect he will when he gets some matches under his belt).

This is a much better explination of what i was trying to say.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I was probably the biggest detractor of Navarro. And yes he DID have a run in the team to begin with in place of Dicker AND he had a pre season as well.

Navarro was utter, utter shit. If you can get the Charlton at withers or the first 45mins against Millwall away you will see he spent most of the game on his arse or the game just passing him by...

...however lately he has been superb no doubt about it.

I was at Charlton, and have been to all home gamews bar Stockport.

His improvement is unquestionable and he is fast becoming the rock of our team.

Doesn't mean that Arismendi will follow the same path. I've not got any opinion on him as of yet, i'm more thinking about the point of Navarro meaning we can't criticize a player is a bit of a misconception imo.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I for one questioned the reasoning behind signing Arismendi and it has been rather unfortunate that he picked up the injury that stopped him featuring for the first month or so. I don't think he will now get the adequate game time between now and the end of the season to really see how good he is. So if I were Gus I would rather leave him out now completetly, unless he think we can/will get him on loan again next season.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
If Arismendi can't set League 1 alight his future in the prem can't be looking too great!

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Arismendi was truly awful last night. Looked lost sitting just in front of the defence - never knew who he was picking up, had no first touch and gave the ball away repeatedly.

From just in front of the defence, this was not clever, and led to numerous Gillingham attacks which a better side would have made much more of.

We only got any sort of shape back when Navarro came on.

Given the midfield was crap at the start of the season, then got it together and facilitated a great run of results, I'm not quite sure why Gus felt the need to change it.

Please Nav, Crofty and Dicker or Hendrie vs Southend.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Poyet's comments on the positive contributions of the three substitutes were just as revealing as his comments about Murray.

Expect Navarro, Dicker and Barnes to start on Saturday, then.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Muzza is the designated penalty taker now that Fozzy is gone. The only time that somebody else should take a penalty is if they are going for a hat-trick and the result is already beyond doubt. Listening to the commentary last night , Arismendi only merited 5/10. Does anyone remember a game at the Goldstone when Wardy took a penalty in front of the North Stand which was saved but the ref blew his whistle as the goalie had moved and it had to be taken again. Nobby took the ball away from Wardy and told him he was going to take it and then proceeded to blast it into the back of the net ?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Given the midfield was crap at the start of the season, then got it together and facilitated a great run of results, I'm not quite sure why Gus felt the need to change it.

Please Nav, Crofty and Dicker or Hendrie vs Southend.

It might sound slightly cynical but I kinda think the reason he changed it is because none of the those three were Poyet signings and he obviously wants to stamp his authority on the team. I hope he corrects the mistake on Saturday and plays our best midfield, with Hendrie coming off the bench and Arismendi cutting the half time oranges!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Murray should not be our penalty taker. Not yesterday, not ever.
Hoyte should not be our left back.
Virgo cannot play in a back four that is going to try to pass the ball out.
Arismendi is far too slow.
Gillingham never gets any better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having seen it again on Meridian News I think that the keeper was very lucky to have saved it. It wasnt such a good save that warranted him being named MOM by their sponsors as he had had a shocker until then.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't disagree with that assessment of Arismendi although it may err on the generous side.

He tackled well and his positional sense was good. A couple of good passes but he wasn't on exactly the same wavelength as others due to no match time in my view. Give him a few games and watch his class shine through - Stoke do not pay big money for no reason so think positive and he will come good. I will be unsurprised if he is with us on loan at least until December........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here