Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet - Which top Manager does he remind you of?

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
One of the three wise men, with Tarrico and Oatway being the other two.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Gus is unique.

However from day one, hearing him speak as a manager, with his humour and being unafraid to make a sharp point, he has reminded me of a young Brian Clough.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think he has the charisma of Jose Mourinho, I agree with the other person in this thread to say the same. Mourinho builds teams on the back of a solid defensive spine, which is exactly what Poyet has done with us. Like Mourinho, Poyet hasn't gone straight into a top drawer side, preferring instead to take on a lower league club and actually learn the trade before moving onto a bigger club. Poyet worked as a number 2 at 3 clubs before becoming a manager in his own right, as did Mourinho, and he's also making a major success of his first managerial role, like Mourinho did at that little Portuguese club whose name both escapes my recollection, and my spelling abilities.

The only difference is, Mourinho only stayed at that little club for half a season before taking over at Porto. Poyet has a bigger job on his hands, and is making a success of it.

I wouldn't compare him with Wenger, the football philosophy is similar but very different in terms of the type of player they both like. Poyet seems to like the taller, more athletic player and then mould them into a good team, a league 1 Wenger would have loved Dean Cox!

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I think he has the charisma of Jose Mourinho, I agree with the other person in this thread to say the same. Mourinho builds teams on the back of a solid defensive spine, which is exactly what Poyet has done with us. Like Mourinho, Poyet hasn't gone straight into a top drawer side, preferring instead to take on a lower league club and actually learn the trade before moving onto a bigger club. Poyet worked as a number 2 at 3 clubs before becoming a manager in his own right, as did Mourinho, and he's also making a major success of his first managerial role, like Mourinho did at that little Portuguese club whose name both escapes my recollection, and my spelling abilities.

The only difference is, Mourinho only stayed at that little club for half a season before taking over at Porto. Poyet has a bigger job on his hands, and is making a success of it.

I wouldn't compare him with Wenger, the football philosophy is similar but very different in terms of the type of player they both like. Poyet seems to like the taller, more athletic player and then mould them into a good team, a league 1 Wenger would have loved Dean Cox!

This is pretty much what I meant, but in much more detail!

I don't buy this he's unique stuff. Yes he's brilliant, he's ours, but there are elements of Jose Mourinho about him. Whether that's something Gus has done on purpose or not is it a differn't matter. If he hasn't done it on purpose though it doesn't make him completely unique.

(The Brian Clough point is also a good one)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

.......but not his social habits.

Good points well made though

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is pretty much what I meant, but in much more detail!

I don't buy this he's unique stuff. Yes he's brilliant, he's ours, but there are elements of Jose Mourinho about him. Whether that's something Gus has done on purpose or not is it a differn't matter. If he hasn't done it on purpose though it doesn't make him completely unique.

(The Brian Clough point is also a good one)

I would say he is unique, but he's looked at what Mourinho did for Bobby Robson at Sporting Lisbon and then at Barcelona and realised that he didn't just jump straight into management, he worked his way into a position of ability and knowledge so that when he did take on a job, he was ready for it and he was ready to make a success of it. He was an assistant manager in League 2 at Swindon, in the Championship and League 1 with Leeds and then in the Premier League with Tottenham. What a lot of people, maybe even some Brighton fans, didn't/don't realise is that we actually have a very experienced man in charge of our team.

I would agree with the Brian Clough comparisons too, genuine football man, passionate about the game and about the team he is managing. We are truly priviledged at the moment to have a man of Gus Poyet's stature at the club.

Considering the pictures of Nicklas Bentdner sauced up beyond deffinition, severnside, I'm not so sure Wenger is that bothered! But that's only because I don't recall reading or seeing Wenger publically criticising that behaviour.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I would say he is unique, but he's looked at what Mourinho did for Bobby Robson at Sporting Lisbon and then at Barcelona and realised that he didn't just jump straight into management, he worked his way into a position of ability and knowledge so that when he did take on a job, he was ready for it and he was ready to make a success of it. He was an assistant manager in League 2 at Swindon, in the Championship and League 1 with Leeds and then in the Premier League with Tottenham. What a lot of people, maybe even some Brighton fans, didn't/don't realise is that we actually have a very experienced man in charge of our team.

I would agree with the Brian Clough comparisons too, genuine football man, passionate about the game and about the team he is managing. We are truly priviledged at the moment to have a man of Gus Poyet's stature at the club.

Considering the pictures of Nicklas Bentdner sauced up beyond deffinition, severnside, I'm not so sure Wenger is that bothered! But that's only because I don't recall reading or seeing Wenger publically criticising that behaviour.

Again good points. But how can he be completely unique if he has learnt from Mourhino?

Even if he didn't look at what Mourhino did, he's still not unique, because ultimately he's follwed a similar career path and has similar characteristics.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Gus is unique.

However from day one, hearing him speak as a manager, with his humour and being unafraid to make a sharp point, he has reminded me of a young Brian Clough.

Really? I never had Poyet down as a wanker

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Again good points. But how can he be completely unique if he has learnt from Mourhino?

Even if he didn't look at what Mourhino did, he's still not unique, because ultimately he's follwed a similar career path and has similar characteristics.

Is anyone completely unique by those standards though? Can anyone genuinely say they've never learnt anything from anyone? I would hope that Poyet has looked at Mourinho and learnt from his work, and from the way he straight away set about sorting out our defence, it looks like he has.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here