Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet wants Re(hab)conciliation Bloom says No No No

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would the simple answer be for Gus and Tony Bloom to come to a mutual agreement for him to continue as manager but then extend his contract by 2 years. This would have the effect of making any compensation if he wants to leave a lot more thus virtually pricing him out of most jobs except for the very wealthy clubs. It would mean he was due more if sacked but what is the likelihood of that happening under normal circumstances.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A lot of people suspect that it could be all down to a clash of egos between Gus & Barber, so perhaps TB has less to do with it all than you think.

But the reality is that none of us have a clue! It is strongly advised that everyone sits firmly on the fence until we know the full story...

All we actually know for now is that Gus breached his contract by neglecting to negotiate player contracts on the basis that he could be leaving - If this is ALL that he did, and he ends up staying, the anti-Gus brigade will all have egg on their faces

You conveniently ignore Gus' multitude of public pronouncements about his wanting away / love of Leeds / not dismissing linked jobs / moans about budget / etc. etc. culminating in his ill-timed egotistical pronouncement immediately after our gutless exit from the play-offs.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So then, who to replace one the the best managers we have EVER had??

Let us wait and see.
By the way,regardless of how the pros and antis now view Poyet's achievements to date,there can be no going back.
For what it is worth,I believe he has done pretty well,but given the budget he has had,so he should have done.Daresay several other managers could have done just as well.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Yep, I am with the fruitnveg man. He has been a fantastic manager, the overhaul of the style of football has been nothing short of brilliant and the steep upward curve in league finishing positions is undeniably impressive. However, he has been backed generously by one of the best chairmen in football. How many others have dug as deep as Tony? I can only really think of Steve Gibson in similarly almost philanthropic terms. So to come out with that little tirade having been beaten by compiled on a shoestring Crystal Palace was at best ill-judged, at worst downright insulting. However you want to dress it up.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Let us wait and see.
By the way,regardless of how the pros and antis now view Poyet's achievements to date,there can be no going back.
For what it is worth,I believe he has done pretty well,but given the budget he has had,so he should have done.Daresay several other managers could have done just as well.

Fair comment.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Jim you are of an age to remember, Spurs didnt have the best of starts, and we all went to bed Saturday night with Ramos as their boss with Gus as his assistant and woke up on Sunday with them both gone and Redknapp having left Pompey(He clearly knew what was coming) and installed at the Lane. It is my understanding that this whole incident wasnt handled very well, with the Albion's current CEO being heavily involved, and Gus felt aggrieved, something which clearly still rankles with him to this day.

We clearly dont know the full circumstances, but with Redknapp and others involved clearly everything wasnt kosher.

You must go to bed early Harty as I remember listening to 'arry on SSN around 9pm on the Saturday! But I understand your point.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The question is for what reason is his heart no longer at the club... Forget the fact he wants to manage in the Prem with or without us we knew that all the long, now answer the question.

Why should we forget the 'with or without us' bit. IF he puts himself first (he does), THEN why should anyone want him as our manager? I suggest you start asking the right questions.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This with bells on. Moronic.

Didn't get the impression his heart was not in it from the videos of his speech at the end of season awards. Even after Palace he wanted reassurances about budget (worded and timed in a very bad way) not that he didn't want to be here. If that was the case he would have jumped at the Reading job

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I'm not fickle when it comes to Poyet, I've never really been convinced.

I've always admired some aspects of what he's done here but he has got on my nerves too many times by constantly reminding everyone how lucky we are to have him. It is so obvious that he is managing us purely for his own self-gain and thinks he is the special one.

Get a manager in who respects the club and becomes part of a team moving forward.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This just seems overly melodramatic to me. Ok so he fell out while at the other club but what could be so serious that, in Poyet's mind, they fell out again even before this other person joined the club? Was he seeing Poyet's wife? Did he insult Poyet's family or parentage? Was there a 'respect' issue? The first I can understand, the second possibly depending on the seriousness but the third? Just get over it and behave professionally.

It's not that simple though - I fell out with a Director at a company I worked for - there is no way on planet earth I could ever work for or with him again.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Jim you are of an age to remember, Spurs didnt have the best of starts, and we all went to bed Saturday night with Ramos as their boss with Gus as his assistant and woke up on Sunday with them both gone and Redknapp having left Pompey(He clearly knew what was coming) and installed at the Lane. It is my understanding that this whole incident wasnt handled very well, with the Albion's current CEO being heavily involved, and Gus felt aggrieved, something which clearly still rankles with him to this day.

We clearly dont know the full circumstances, but with Redknapp and others involved clearly everything wasnt kosher.

So it is a 'respect' issue. In that case I would say that Barber has had a couple of jobs since then and should be given the benefit of the doubt that he has improved his management style. I would also advise Gus to grow a thicker skin and not be so sensitive - even before anything happened.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The truth hasn't come out. Each side has leaked their views one way or another, as is often the case in situations like this and negotiations. People should take everything they hear with a pinch of salt.

However, a lot of people have their own agendas.

People who didn't like poyet because he never played 442, or because he never put it in the mixer (only as a plan b, of course, people weren't calling for that as a main option) or because they couldn't see what various players did to earn their place in his team, or because they are so precious that a manager is open and honest about his career plans, or offended he would go on about his budget limitations. They will buy everything that makes poyet look bad as if its the truth

People who don't like the people in charge of the club because its not the old boys network that they used to be on the ins with, people who can't look past poyet saving us from relegation and getting us into the championship, people who can't see that sometimes the tippy tappy stuff doesn't work and we need to adapt. They will cling to anything that praises gus, or makes the club look bad as if it's the truth.

For me, I don't care that gus would answer reporters questions about vacancies hire up the league. He has been open about his ambition, and I think people describing this as touting himself for every job need to stop being so precious. I want a manager who is ambitious, a manager who wants to improve, who has a drive to get the club as high up the league as possible, a manager who isnt satisfied with treading water.

I think his comments about budget are par for the course for managers. If you lose respect for someone because they "complain" about their budget (often times the comments were about managing expectation, highlighting how well the players, the club, and yes, gus himself, has done, is there something wrong with being proud of your achievements?) then there won't be many managers you respect. Vicente combined about his last club when he joined us. It's in his interests to let potential employers know his lack of game time isn't about injury, because he wants to maximise his earning potential, someone who hasn't been picked will get more if its a bad manager relationship rather than injury.

I don't know much about barber. It seems to me that most of the time on here people are jokingly blaming him because some people wrongly blamed him for things that were decided before he arrived. I have every belief barber is acting in good faith to achieve his goals of maximising profit, minimising loss.

Tony is a fan of the club, he showed loyalty to slade, when it was reported slade wasn't his choice in the first place, so I don't think he wants to be someone who freely fires managers at the first hint of trouble. He took his time and found the right appointment for that moment in Gus, and I don't expect he wants rid of Gus now, but it seems the most likely outcome. I have every faith tony will pick the right replacement.

The manager will always be Tony's (football) man. The chief executive will always be Tony's (business) man. Tony's role is to balance the two in the interest of the club as a whole. This situation is, I think, about that balance, maybe (probably) will result in a new manager, but it's that balance that is important not either man, or Tony's loyalty to one or the other.

I don't see gus staying, but if that were to somehow happen, I agree with the previous poster that the moment things don't go great for us, the fans will turn. I don't think he'd have trouble inspiring the players, if dicker, bridge, cms, Bennett etc are to be believed, it could create a siege mentality that has served other clubs well, but I don't know if the fans would be fully 100% behind him.

I was going to go through the 9 pages but I don't need to now. Good post, cheers.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Gus wants to manage Brighton and Hove Albion very much. However he wants promises made to him to be kept, and he doesn't want to be constantly undermined by someone else at the club.

Like all managers he wants a bigger and bigger budget. But he will compromise. However he doesn't expect it to go backwards when his style of football and success he has achieved for the club had meant the stadium is selling out to 30,000 people every week.

I would say he has a point.

This board is full hypocrites. A few weeks ago Gus was the best thing since sliced bread. What has changed?

He just verbalised what we all knew that he is ambitious and that if the club doesn't keep up with his ambitions he will move on. What is wrong with that? That's what happens in business all over the world.

He has actually incredible loyalty in a business where there is little.

Don't forget he is currently the 6th longest serving manager in English football.

Agree 100% with this.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Just seen Poyet land in a helicopter at Woodside Road. When he left a few hours later he was smoking a ginormous cigar, carrying two bulging briefcases and nursing a huge erection.

People on here will shoot me down, but I am only presenting the facts.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The evidence is in Gus' pronouncements. Where have you been. I suggest you climb out of his backside, you might be able to hear better.

People like you are reading too much into his statements. Having ambition doesn't mean a lack of loyalty. At the moment I'm on the fence but I do believe TB / the club have handled this extremely badly. Oh my goodness - I've just criticised your god !

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Luckily for me i can't peer into the hearts and minds of pretty much anyone, so i shan't be jumping to any mad conclusions of causes for suspension or determination to flee or a failed relationship that cannae be mended. Instead, i'll sadly sit and wait for an outcome and hope that whenever that comes that no-one emerges devastated from it all.

Gus has been a dream manager for the majority of us and i shan't see villainy in him for honestly answering questions of the possibilities of his future or an internal upset for him not doing everything i want to all brattishly. The list of crimes i see from certain shouters don't seem all that terrible really. Whatever's gone on in the background may have made it all impossible to resolve and have us all carry on together, but that can happen sometimes i suppose and if everyone gets the chance to move on without the use of individual armouries then we'll come out of it unscarred and no one has to seem the bad guy. We're not in a badly-drawn comicbook right now hunting for the new Lex Luthor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here