Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet unable to change mindset of players at Home

Let's not jump on another managers back already. Guy I work with told me the other day a friend of a friend (yes yes I know...) knows Kerry Mayo very well, Kerry is still in regular contact with a lot of the squad and he says the players have told him they've learnt things on that training field from Gus they never even knew existed.

I'm still really excited about where this guy is taking us.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wasn't an offside goal btw, flicked off a defender.

Are you one of the ignorant ones who still believe that you can be played onside because a pass from one of your players (whilst you are in an offiside position) is deflected off a defender?

Do you also think you can be offside from a throw in, or a goal kick?

I apologise if it was your first game and therefore you are not familiar with the rules, especially ones that have been in force for a couple of decades.

Thus far, I see no difference in the mindset of our players at home, under Poyet.
Every game is still started at a slow tempo, we allow ourselves to be forced onto the back foot from the kick off and teams now know they can kill us off early.
There is a casual indifference amongst certain players at Withdean, that leads one to believe that they have no interest in playing there. Poyet's charming and laid back approach may have won over Mr. Bloom but it is having absolutely no effect on a bunch of players who are doing their level best to create history at Withdean. i.e the worst home record in history.
Only personal and professional pride is driving some players on but they cannot carry the burden of the many.
This succession of appalling and utterly disgraceful home performances is totally unacceptable but the really galling thing is that the apologists are now out in full force. e.g " After the first 15 minutes, we played really well "
And what happened in the first 15 minutes?...WE LOST THE BLOODY GAME.
In the remainder of the game, their keeper made one really good save and we missed a succession of sitters ( including 3 open goals !!! )...THATS PLAYING WELL IS IT?
It now seems as well that we have no right to take any points off any team in the top 10.."oh, well, we expected to lose to them"....ffs...we might as well all give up now !!!
The home fans, loyal as they are, are being hugely let down. There is no value in going to Withdean anymore. You sit back and wait for the inevitable. There is nothing proactive in the team, just the opposite. They only try and play when they are already out of the game and the opposition are coasting and drop their level.
It is poor, poor fare and leaves a sour taste.

I'd have to agree that your post pretty much does tell the tale.
Perhaps if the score had been 1-1 for the second half, Cheltenham may have worked to pin us back and managed to get the win that way.
What we can only hope, is that there will be some new faces drafted into the squad in the transfer window/s, and that will make all the difference.

I imagine Gus is just struggling along with what he has to work with, meanwhile.

¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3254281 said:
Let's not jump on another managers back already. Guy I work with told me the other day a friend of a friend (yes yes I know...) knows Kerry Mayo very well, Kerry is still in regular contact with a lot of the squad and he says the players have told him they've learnt things on that training field from Gus they never even knew existed.

I'm still really excited about where this guy is taking us.

What ARE you talking about - there's nothing about weird sexual practices, toilets, or bizarre medical conditions anywhere in that post.

Are you okay? ???

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
I have to agree that my frustration levels are growing too. Why didn't McNulty start? What is it with the defenders not attacking the ball? The first goal was a simple lay back and a good shot and the second was simply not defended at all. Why did the only Colchester man in sight have a free header? Games at the Withdean are a disaster. I'm actually surprised that so many continue to turn up.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Horney`s two items are the best I have read for a long time,we have tried changing managers but with a few exceptions even Sir Alex would not succeed with the present squad.
Give Gus the cash to bring in some Championship standard players which would get us out of this dismal league next year and would not need replacing after we gain promotion.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Poyet has made two fundemental mistakes (like my spelling)

1) Navvarro is a load of shit, does nothing good. Which is a shame since when he played at MK Dons he was an alright midfeilder and a good passer. But he just does f*** all out there. A clever turn that ended badly and a pass that WOULD have but Murray through in the first half but got cut out was all he did.

2) I don' know about the fitness of Jimmy Mac but if he's fit he simply HAS to start. No more discussion needed. When he came on he was amazing. Set up the offside goal. Potent attacking. One or two minor defencive errors he made up for by either delying their breaks or a great block/tackel two or three minutes later. Great game from him.

Sort these two things out and I feel we could have won this game.

Sorry, precisely what "fundemental" mistake has Poyet made in relation to Jim McNulty?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Colchester's pressing style is ideal for Withdean. They've narrowed their own pitch to prove the point. I thought we were much much better against Colchester than against Charlton. I suspect that Col U are a better side than Charlton and they have already beaten them 3-0 this season. So Friday night's performance was an improvement.

Of course, our home record is disgraceful when you consider the money spent by Adams and Slade. The performance against a bad Oldham team, for example, was shocking and dire. I disagree with the tone of this thread as I think there has been clear improvement under Gus Poyet. There is a lot to do but he now has a fortnight, without midweek games, to work on things in training.

Poyet has only had one month in charge. Give the bloke a break. Patience, fellas!

Need to change our formation. The current squad are not good enough to play 4-4-2.

We also have too many optimistic fans aka still singing Slades praise week in week out thinking that we would turn a corner! Sorry but with this squad we will be relegated. Simply not good enough. So until January Bha please play boring footie & rely on the break to score. We need points now.

It could start to be desperate otherwise in a months time

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Need to change our formation. The current squad are not good enough to play 4-4-2.
We aren't playing 4-4-2 and haven't been for the last 3 games.

I'm not one these happyclappers who doesn't think fans should ever have an opinion on anything, but I do believe that if you're going to whine you should at have been at the game(s), or have some clue what you are talking about.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009

We also have too many optimistic fans aka still singing Slades praise week in week out thinking that we would turn a corner! Sorry but with this squad we will be relegated. Simply not good enough. So until January Bha please play boring footie & rely on the break to score. We need points now.

It could start to be desperate otherwise in a months time

I'd love to know what people are still singing Slades praises. Seems like you're on your own there. Also, 4-4-2 is the most basic formation so if we 'aren't good enough' to use that then what the f*** is the other options.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thus far, I see no difference in the mindset of our players at home, under Poyet.
Every game is still started at a slow tempo, we allow ourselves to be forced onto the back foot from the kick off and teams now know they can kill us off early.

...Charlton was started at a decent tempo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here