Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Leeds

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Quite the opposite, Poyet was seen by many fans as the brains behind the Poyet/Wise combo that almost turned over a 15point deduction to reach the play offs. It was when Poyet left that that got worse. He is held in very high regard at Elland Road.

My mistake ... didn't appreciate the points deduction ... I knew Wise was regarded as some sort of Devil and assumed Poyet might have been tarred with same brush. All academic anyway but thanks for pointing it out

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
A non starter for me. Ken Bates would be the major stumbling block, yes Leeds are a much bigger club than ours, but I can see a huge row blowing up between old beardy and Gus. Poyet likes to be the man in charge, whereas Bates likes to call the tune. Gus will leave one day, but for now, Brighton and Hove Albion are very much a work in progress for him.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Where did I say you could?

Not saying you did, my point is although we are not a massive club we are doing well with around 20k for home games and with a bit more success and a 30k capacity ground we may average around 25k.......not bad for a small club!

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Poyet would in my opinion go to a bigger club like Leeds, however I've always said he'd go to to Spurs once Harry has left.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
could easily see this happening.
It didn't do Cloughie any harm.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Utter non-starter. No way would Poyet's head be turned by a non-entity of a club like Leeds Utd FC in its current guise.

Wind your neck in. Leeds are not a 'non-entity' the arrogance of our fans is staggering.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Met a couple of Leeds backroom staff (physio's) through some of my work colleagues recently. We got talking about Poyet, and it was very clear that he is thought of very highly amongst the backroom staff and players that were there when Gus was, and they would all be happy if he came back. However, they did not feel this was going to be likely and it would take a real sustained run of bad form before Grayson woudl ever be sacked by Bates.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe KB will come to the game against Burnley this afternoon and have a chat with him then:facepalm:

Why would Bates go to Bristol City today to chat with Gus?

Oct 25, 2003
Poyet would in my opinion go to a bigger club like Leeds, however I've always said he'd go to to Spurs once Harry has left.

spurs aren't going to appoint a manager with just a league 1 title to his name.......he'd need to get us into the prem and establish us there before having any chance of getting the spurs job

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus has already said he will only go to a big club , Leeds are not a big club , well they are but only in Yorkshire.

Oct 6, 2010
I think you will find most Albion fans would admit we ARE one of the smaller clubs in this division. Not in the same League as Leeds or for what it is worth not as big as Southampton but at the moment the Club are an attractive ongoing project starting from a blank canvass. Although we are one of the smaller clubs we can attract around 20k for home games at the moment, which is a good average for this division.
The thing is Brighton and Hove Albion is Gus's baby, he has had a lot of input to this embryonic "new" club. Its support would only increase if he brings success to it and he knows it. It would have to be a massive club to prize him away from his project........Leeds aint massive. A bigger club....Spurs, Chelsea ect would not take the gamble on Gus..............yet!

Edit* Leeds could become a massive club......likewise Brighton could become a big club!:bhasign:

The most accurate and sensible post of the thread.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I think we kid ourselves if we think Leeds aren't a big club. From what I can tell, the situation in Yorkshire (from speaking to colleagues who came from up that way) is that you are either a Leeds fan, or if you support another Yorkshire club you hate them, a bit like the Rangers and Celtic situation in Scotland, and to a certain extent Juventus in Italy. However, Leeds has a population of about 3/4 million, and I don't know the rest of Yorkshire. Sure, they've been down in the doldrums for some while, but I think don't look at Elland Road attendances, look at their away following, which sells out most away sections. And when we were playing them in League One, the train up from London was full of Leeds fans travelling to the home game. That said, I don't think Leeds is the sort of club Gus would go to; if we are intolerant of tippy tappy football when things are going wrong, what are Leeds fans going to be like? Chelsea, Tottenham or maybe the likes of Villa or Everton if he got us up are more likely. Still, as I think Clippedgull said, strange things happen in football. I must say I did worry in the early season when we were doing so well, that if a Premiership manager got sacked, they might approach Gus and he would have felt he couldn't turn the opportunity down. Tottenham wise, there was a rumour that he couldn't stand Daniel Levy or David Pleat; don't know if anybody else heard that.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
spurs aren't going to appoint a manager with just a league 1 title to his name.......he'd need to get us into the prem and establish us there before having any chance of getting the spurs job
Spot on. World of difference between that and qualifiying for the Champions League. If I was Daniel Levy I would seriously be thinking about Carlo Ancelotti if Harry gets the England gig.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea

Spurs Chairman, July 2012: 'Right - now Fabio's completely messed up with England and Our 'Arry has heeded the call from the nation and we're in the Champions League next year, what we need is a manager who managed to get a side just into the top half of the Championship!'

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
When Poyet said BIG CLUB, he didn't mean someone in the same division, he dismissed himself with jobs such as West Ham and Pompey when they were in the prem so why would he go to a division rival? Especially with Bates there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here