Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poyet Sky studio guest on Sky tomorrow

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Spot on. The club realised after that and Sami that Poyet was probably right, and completely changed the recruitment and wage structure. I'd go so far as to say what Poyet did was necessary for us to progress properly. He was a superb manager for us, probably the most influential one we've ever had. But he was also the right man at the right time. He must look at us now with a fair bit of envy, I imagine.

Potter has a bit of the Poyet playing style with the Hughton-esque demeanor.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Potter has a bit of the Poyet playing style with the Hughton-esque demeanor.

He does. We’re more positive under Potter though, we play possession football but we always look to go forward, which wasn’t the case under Poyet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He does. We’re more positive under Potter though, we play possession football but we always look to go forward, which wasn’t the case under Poyet.

This. It used to take Poyet's side 30 passes to reach the halfway line. It used to take Oscar Garcia's side 15 passes to do the same. Some of us regarded that as progress at the time :shrug:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This. It used to take Poyet's side 30 passes to reach the halfway line. It used to take Oscar Garcia's side 15 passes to do the same. Some of us regarded that as progress at the time :shrug:

I think that was down to the players we had more than anything else, to be fair to him. We were a half decent Championship side but we weren't great.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think that was down to the players we had more than anything else, to be fair to him. We were a half decent Championship side but we weren't great.
That side that reached the play offs should of got automatic at a cantor. Two many draws from Poyet being cautious.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That side that reached the play offs should of got automatic at a cantor. Two many draws from Poyet being cautious.

I’m not so sure. Players like Lopez and Orlandi were great, but they were nowhere near the level of players like Knockaert.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Deserves better than he gets on here.
We were awful to watch before he came along. Revolutionised us tactically and won promotion in his first full season.
He got us playing some beautiful football and into Championship play-offs which seemed like a dream before his arrival.
Oversaw the transition into the Amex and was the catalyst for bringing a new class of player to the club.
His reign was magnificent, his departure was squalid.

Sums his reign up perfectly.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Deserves better than he gets on here.
We were awful to watch before he came along. Revolutionised us tactically and won promotion in his first full season.
He got us playing some beautiful football and into Championship play-offs which seemed like a dream before his arrival.
Oversaw the transition into the Amex and was the catalyst for bringing a new class of player to the club.
His reign was magnificent, his departure was squalid.

This!

But as for his appearance on SKY Sports. 200.gif

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As the first manager you've ever appointed he was very good, but I suspect that Tone has learnt a whole lot about about appointing managers in the 12 years since ???

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You’re absolutely right though about Gus Poyet transforming the club. His vision and style was a breath of fresh air and the results proved that. That, and the admiration of just about all of us Albion fans, made his departure even sadder.

Well said. Along with Tony, Poyet was a catalyst that really put our club on an upwards trajectory that got us to where we are. I really believe that. His early days at the Amex were electric.

Frankly I didn’t realise there was this much animosity to Poyet until I found NSC.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Well said. Along with Tony, Poyet was a catalyst that really put our club on an upwards trajectory that got us to where we are. I really believe that. His early days at the Amex were electric.

Frankly I didn’t realise there was this much animosity to Poyet until I found NSC.

"Gus poyets blue and white army".
Great times.
Gus got us promoted perfectly timed with the amex opening(I often wonder how it would have worked out if he hadn't), league one champions,got us playing like Barcelona,brought in some truly fantastic players including those with Spanish flair,brought us so close to promotion but more importantly made us look like we were a club that could get promoted one day.
These are my comments Purely as a fan of course,I don't know what was going on behind the scenes so if the club felt he had to go then I respect that..
But apart from how it ended,for me the Gus poyet years were fantastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here