Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet on brink of signing new deal

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This would be infinitely more important to our club than losing a right back. Good news week is back ON. :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Confident he will sign, he refreshingly appears to have principles which he adheres too. No bendy buses here just the GUS BUS.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That would be 100% spot on for next season, hopefully a 5 year deal so if he does take us up and we lose him we also get a few quid in compo ... a little negative but very realistic unless he sees the new stadium and a lump of cash to get us to the premiership?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wonder how far Poyet thinks he can take us. Top of championship, lower premiership, mid-table? Hoping one of the conditions of the contract is a new training ground

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think that if he does get us promoted - and as he says himself, that is a very big 'IF' - he'll want to lead us out at Falmer.

After that there'll be a frenzy for his signature from the big clubs and Bloom'll be foolish not to take the money. It seems that Bloom knows the type of man he wants and, although I love him love him love him, there are other good people out there and we'll [hopefully] be a more attractive proposition by then.

There's only one question at the interview anyway: ''Football or 'Route One'? If it's the latter, show 'em the door.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
We need to get this tied down right now before the scum along the coast start twitching their thieving little fingers. 4 years please TB, with a maHOOsive compensation clause due to us if Gus is poached any time within that period.

Another one here, though I should really be writing a book review at the moment. I shall wait until he signs before putting up the beer and in the net smilies. Regarding your point, Easy, I am fast beginning to hate the red and white scum along the coast more than our Croydon friends. Okay, we hate them because we have to, but at least they don't play dirty on transfers, etc, and have loaned us two players who have arguably helped to keep us up in recent seasons (Flinders and Andrew). I used to have a bit of a soft spot for Southampton, as my old man vaguely supported them once, having lived in New Milton (he really follows egg-chasing), but not since I found out about the cosy little game they played with Spurs and the way they are acting now.

As for this news, go on, sign please Gus.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Don't want to burst your bubble like, but I'd say a year max. If he takes us up next season, he will be poached, for sure

IF that were to happen we'll be getting applications from much higher calibre managerial candidates, from much farther afield, thanks to Gus raising our profile more than any other manager in decades. I like to think he won't be going anywhere until his 'project' is finished.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Another one here, though I should really be writing a book review at the moment. I shall wait until he signs before putting up the beer and in the net smilies. Regarding your point, Easy, I am fast beginning to hate the red and white scum along the coast more than our Croydon friends. Okay, we hate them because we have to, but at least they don't play dirty on transfers, etc, and have loaned us two players who have arguably helped to keep us up in recent seasons (Flinders and Andrew). I used to have a bit of a soft spot for Southampton, as my old man vaguely supported them once, having lived in New Milton (he really follows egg-chasing), but not since I found out about the cosy little game they played with Spurs and the way they are acting now.

As for this news, go on, sign please Gus.

Southampton were barely on my gaydar until fairly recently. But ever since they were relegated from the Prem, as a club and set of supporters, they seem to operate under the fanciful delusion that they are in fact still a Premiership club, just with the small inconvenience that they're not actully IN the Premiership any more.

The Pardew factor has obviously added to their all-round stench. Then trying to weasel out of a points deduction by claiming it was their "holding company" in adminstration, not Southampton FC. Like that was ever going to work. And what put the tin lid on it was within weeks of having the majority of their debts written off and coming out of administration, they spunked a MILLION QUID on ONE player.

If they somehow managed to nick Gus, I think I'd go ape and raze St Fairys to the ground.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Regarding your point, Easy, I am fast beginning to hate the red and white scum along the coast more than our Croydon friends. Okay, we hate them because we have to, but at least they don't play dirty on transfers, etc, and have loaned us two players who have arguably helped to keep us up in recent seasons (Flinders and Andrew). I used to have a bit of a soft spot for Southampton, as my old man vaguely supported them once, having lived in New Milton (he really follows egg-chasing), but not since I found out about the cosy little game they played with Spurs and the way they are acting now.

I know it's annoying but they just made a presumably better offer to [technically] a free agent. I really don't think they're sitting there rubbing their hands together plotting how they can stitch Brighton up THIS week, do you?

Like your Dad, I too have a soft spot for Saints and hope they join us in the top two next season - in second place of course.

Now - where did I put that 'Managing Expectations' book?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
We need to get this tied down right now before the scum along the coast start twitching their thieving little fingers. 4 years please TB, with a maHOOsive compensation clause due to us if Gus is poached any time within that period.

I f***ing LOVE Gus Poyet. Honest, hard working and REALISTIC. What a bloody brilliant appointment.

These.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus has done a great job so far, and gives us a great chance of promo next season if he stays... here's hoping he signs for the club that gave him his first chance as manager... the parallel with Calde is there... we gave him his first chance in English football, and he threw his new deal back in our faces; not Saints fault IMHO... the difference is, Gus is a man of honour, so I expect and hope he will sign for us within the next day or so...

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Gus has done a great job so far, and gives us a great chance of promo next season if he stays... here's hoping he signs for the club that gave him his first chance as manager... the parallel with Calde is there... we gave him his first chance in English football, and he threw his new deal back in our faces; not Saints fault IMHO... the difference is, Gus is a man of honour, so I expect and hope he will sign for us within the next day or so...

True, though Gus is also already rich. Calderon is probably not and so is bound to take a high financial offer given he has been a lower league player throughout his career which he is in his last 5 years of.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I just hope it doesn't go all Rafa Benitez. He still has 4 years left on his contract so it is very hard for the board to afford to sack him.

3 years tops, but ideally another year extension so he gets the first year at Falmer too. If he is doing well say Christmas 2011, then sign him up for a bit longer. We have shot ourselves in the foot signing managers on long contracts, I think we may have even been paying 3 managers at one time not so long ago.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
True, though Gus is also already rich. Calderon is probably not and so is bound to take a high financial offer given he has been a lower league player throughout his career which he is in his last 5 years of.

Fair point, but I am sure we offered him (Inigo) a good deal... history now, unfortunately...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here