clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
_44624631_poyet512.jpg

:cry:

TheReadingFan

Mar 20, 2013
Some of our fans are EMBARRASSING. I bet they've never even seen a full Reading game this season, probably just the highlights. Buckley has been distinctly average for about 5/7ths of this season, Vicente is well past his best and Upson couldn't handle the Premier League so moved to us, yet people think he can still play in the Premier League. I apologies on their behalf, we're not all deluded.

Also [MENTION=22043]SeagullSongs[/MENTION] I had no idea about Roker Park too, I bet most people our age wouldn't have heard of it :thumbsup:

Finally some sanity I was looking for, I prefer debating than arguing. I wasn't dismissing your squad in any way, probably would be the strongest if you got into the play-off pack, just to compare it to ours is silly.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree you are a bigger club than uswith a good history, but if I'm a manager deciding whether to join a club, I'm looking at the finances, current squad - the now. Leeds are a bigger club than both of us. but are never going to be attracting good managers.

True, but Leeds have virtually zero chance of the Prem this year. We have a rather small chance of getting there, but still a better chance than Reading staying up! You also have to factor in Gus' comments re only moving to a special club. Sorry, Reading are not his kind of special!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
They have a smaller ground, smaller fan base, they will be in the championship next year, they don't have the training facility that we will have, their team probably isn't as good as ours - no brainer

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gus might go, though.

And it's pretty damaging to us if this drags on into next week.

I hope Tony has Di Matteo or Adkins lined up to take over immediately.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Reading fans don't kid yourselves, you'd LOVE Poyet

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
35 pages? There must be some truth in the rumour? Oh well I laughed when I heard Virgo was going to Celtic. That went well for him, I can't see Gus being given the time to change Reading's style and if he does choose to go there, good luck to him. He has laid the foundations for the next manager so although I'd be shocked if Gus went, money does talk and TB will have to pull off a master stoke again.

Last edited:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Don't get the Adkins love in at all either.

Me neither I know he did a good job for the stains, but I could not listen to his cliche crap after each game. And his sticky up at the front hair, like he is an extra on the inbetweeners. I would not boo him but I would cancel seagulls player. Problem I have is that if he goes to reading I would have to turn the local news off.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
It will not happen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe its partly him guaranteeing that he does get a striker by next thursday, forcing the hand maybe

He might get shown the door by TB though, I doubt he's even vaguely impressed if this rumour is true.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not being funny or anything but the majority of us Reading fans are quite underwhelmed by the news that Poyet is in the running

Why sack a manager who got us to 2 FA Cup Q/Fs, a play off final and win us the Championship and replace him with a bloke who's won League One and turned a team into an average mid-table Championship side (no disrespect)

We'd rather Adkins over Poyet if we had the choice

That's the kind of reasoning that has led me to back Adkins for the job to the tune of £50 at 11/4!

A monumental bell-end he may be, but he has achieved more than Gus and is also not going to cost £?m to extract from a contract.

(Edit: And Gus won't want it anyway)

Last edited:

TBM

Mar 20, 2013
BTW, I agree with you re Poyet's track record, he is clearly as yet unproven at Championship level, but calling '7th on goal difference' mid-table is a little bit wrong.

I guess that's a little unfair but I meant it as a compliment - as in he's made you a stable Championship side and not one that came up and struggled to hold their own.

Like Poyet as a man and manager just don't see it as a step up to what we already had.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Poyet rarely buys badly, and we've seen he has excellent contacts. I think Reading fans underestimate his qualities. I'd rather have him over McDermott, Adkins, Di Matteo.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What is troubling me is what has Poyet got to lose if he does go to Reading? Keep them up he's a hero and his stock rises, Chelsea or Tottenham in 2 years. If they go down, he get's a large budget to get them back up.

The Madjeski is ok as a stadium, but not the Amex and fairly soulless and the support is relatively quiet.

The Reading squad is not great and I actually felt they were an average team last year, so am not surprised they are struggling. Federeci saved them at The Amex and if we didn't have Billy Paynter, would have probably at least got a point away. Effectively they only had a 20 minute good spell. I am not sure they'd win the division this year.

If we play them next year with our current squad, I would expect us to get at least 4 out of the 6 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here