Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

TBM

Mar 20, 2013
What about Blackpool, Birmingham, and Burnley then? They came down and certainly weren't too suited to Premiership football. None of them are close to being near the promotion picture this campaign. Parachute payments don't neccesarily lead to success.

I'm not saying we are guaranteed to go straight back up - and i don't believe we will. But like when Coppell left, we know what it takes to build again to be back in the Premiership within 5 years. Since we were relegated last time, we never struggled and were always a top half Championship side, there or there abouts the play-offs.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I can't understand why some don't appreciate why Reading would be a relatively attractive next step for Poyet.

If they stay up, he would be a hero. If they come down, his reputation won't be harmed considering where they are now. And he would have a stronger base from which to mount promotion challenge next season.

Whatever happens I trust Tony Bloom 100% to keep the Good Ship Albion heading in the right direction.

Yes, but if they go down and we go up then we're clearly better placed and he'd be at a club that he's helped build. If he was unable to keep us up he would get bigger parachute payments than he'd get next year at Reading. In my mind it would only be a job worth taking if Reading were to stay up and we stay down. Any other permutation doesn't have a big enough pay off for him as far as I can see. Unless with our 8million loss there is going to be a significant playing budget cut next season...

I fully agree with your sentiments on Tony Bloom. Whatever happens we will not be derailed for long-even if the timing is an absolute bitch.

TBM

Mar 20, 2013
Last season's final Premier League table rather strongly suggests otherwise.

Doesn't mean they could play it - just their tactics/training etc was to play in the Premiership......playing in the Premiership is totally different to the Championship, else we wouldn't be struggling this season with roughly the same squad that won the league last year

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't understand why some don't appreciate why Reading would be a relatively attractive next step for Poyet.

If they stay up, he would be a hero.
He'd be a hero if he got us up. According to the bookies there's more chance of us being in the prem next year than there is of Reading.

If they come down, his reputation won't be harmed considering where they are now. And he would have a stronger base from which to mount promotion challenge next season.
His reputation for staying to finish a job would be harmed. And the base Reading will have is not Poyet's base. He wants to play the game one way, and one way only - his way. So he'll have a fair bit of rebuilding to do.

Whatever happens I trust Tony Bloom 100% to keep the Good Ship Albion heading in the right direction.
Likewise, but I like the players we have, and the style we play, so Poyet leaving would be a big blow for me.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
How about THIS for a non-story from The Argus:
Albion directors meet as Poyet rumours grow From The Argus)

Albion’s directors are meeting today amid continuing reports that Gus Poyet is wanted by managerless Reading.
The Argus understands the Board meeting is NOT an emergency get-together but was scheduled ahead of reports linking Poyet with a move to the Madejski Stadium.
However the future of their in-demand boss is sure to be discussed with Poyet still odds-on favourite to replace Brian McDermott.
Both the Seagulls and Reading have remained tight-lipped when asked for confirmation that Poyet has spoken to the Premier League strugglers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If they stay up, he would be a hero. If they come down, his reputation won't be harmed considering where they are now. And he would have a stronger base from which to mount promotion challenge next season.

i see that his reputation might not be impacted, but firstly its a massive IF with 8 points to make up on Villa. secondly, is the base really any stronger? a period of transisition and rebuilding, they'll lose some of the better players, have lots of poorly performing players left, a large wage bill which will offset the benefits of the parachute payments. as far as i can tell their new owner isnt a Abramovich type, though he claims he is, it isnt even his own money but Daddy's. it might be a next step, but doesnt look very forward.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
i see that his reputation might not be impacted, but firstly its a massive IF with 8 points to make up on Villa. secondly, is the base really any stronger? a period of transisition and rebuilding, they'll lose some of the better players, have lots of poorly performing players left, a large wage bill which will offset the benefits of the parachute payments. as far as i can tell their new owner isnt a Abramovich type, though he claims he is, it isnt even his own money but Daddy's. it might be a next step, but doesnt look very forward.

And if he goes then he cant moan when that happens can he ?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Having had time to dwell on this, I'd be quite disappointed in Gus personally if he chose this moment to move on.

I appreciate he cares more about his career more than he does about BHA. I know there is little loyalty in football. But to leave now, for Reading, at the moment when a two or three year plan may be about to come to fruition, would be pretty poor form. Yes, he's done wonders for the club, but equally the board have backed him, and allowed him to mould the club in his own image. He doesn't exactly "owe us" but I would hope he'd have the honour and integrity to recognise that we need him to guide us to the end of this season, a few short months away.

If a big club came knocking at this moment - well, we all know that Gus is aiming high and we'd probably take it reasonably well and wish him luck. But to jump ship now, for Reading, would really sour my view of Poyet. I hope it doesn't happen because it will forever taint my view of one of the greatest Albion managers.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Can't be bothered to read it all, but has anyone said this is all a plan to get a bigger budget for the loan striker to get us promotion?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
His reputation for staying to finish a job would be harmed. And the base Reading will have is not Poyet's base. He wants to play the game one way, and one way only - his way. So he'll have a fair bit of rebuilding to do.

He would argue he has seen the job to the end, promotion and then championship midtable

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I was just about to post the same thing - Brian Owen hang your head in shame!

Disagree completely. I'm glad Owen has released that story, so we know that today's board meeting is a scheduled one. Had he not, someone would have got wind of the directors meeting, and everyone here would have assumed it meant something it does not.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't think anyone knows much - or can hope to second guess someone as complex as Gus Poyet.

He does seem frustrated at what he sees as budget constraints though which are unlikely to be removed any time soon considering the club's public stance on Financial Fair Play. Reading would probably provide a healthier wage structure and one which they have a history of bending to recruit / retain best players a la Progbrebnyak. Might appeal considering Poyet's recent comments re: Murray.

I don't believe that long term Reading is a better option. But when did football players or managers ever really look long term? Unless Poyet takes us up, which is by no means a certainty, his stock is unlikely to be higher than it is right now. Maybe he will accept he isn't going to jump straight to a big job without a stepping stone inbetween? If he turns this down and we don't go up and have an average season next term will he have blown his chance? Certainly wouldn't be in as much demand. Might be now or never in that sense. Poyet certainly is ambitious and confident in his own ability.

I think a move to Reading makes more sense for Poyet than some on here are suggesting.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here