Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Never trust these markets. It takes peanuts to move them and suddenly it all snowballs. Ring up William Hill and say you want £5k on Nigel Adkins to be next Reading manager. You won't get on, they will say you can have £20 on. He is currently 11/2. In 15 minutes after your phone call he will be even money.
Are you laying the Gus to Reading bet? When I used to gamble compulsively I would have been all over this as a massive value investment and evidence of my supreme wisdom.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lets not worry until they put odds up for the next Brighton Manager.
That's the one we'll have to get in quick on, we all have local 'knowledge' that'll flummox the bookies, as it's not one of the usual faces.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I dont care what the odds say I'll be astounded if he goes for the following reasons:

1) Even if Gus goes there they are highly likely to go down and play Championship Footy next year.
2) They have barely any better than a Championship squad.
3) The owner has proven he is trigger happy and lacking in forthcoming player investment.
4) He's just brought in his own team and just landed the striker who can get us promoted.
5) Tony Bloom would have to give them permission to speak and why would he with 8 games left?
6) Their ground and facillities are ok but nowhere near what we are building.

Taking all those factors into account he'd be mad to go but if he does we will move on with almost our pick of any available manager to take us to the promised land.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you think there's any chance at all of Poyet going to Reading, you'd do well to take the 14/1 at Stan James for Gus to be the next Championship manager to leave his post.

So Gus favourite next to go at 6/4, and 1/10 with William Hill for the Reading job. He's off I reckon.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So Gus favourite next to go at 6/4, and 1/10 with William Hill for the Reading job. He's off I reckon.
That is how it appears but all of the comments in this thread about the misleading nature of "next manager" odds are correct.

Counter-intuitive to those of us who live by the mantra that bookies don't get it wrong and that, with few exceptions, prices tend to reflect probability.

Difference here is that they can have so many runners in the same race - the more money they can attract then the better for them - and people are attracted by contracting odds as they believe somebody must be in the know.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: Poyet backed for Reading job...

This thread could almost be palace fans talking about Freedman just before he left.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That's a foreign language to me (and others probably). What's it mean?

PS. I don't believe any of this!
JG is betting Gus doesn't go.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Oh ****.

SSN reporting he's been given permission to speak to Reading.

Don't go Gus :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are we not manipulating the odds, ourselves?

It all seems counter-intuitive.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Breaking news on SSN now: Poyet given permission to speak to Reading. Odds now 1/10 :eek: :cry:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If he goes he goes. We can move on. I was worried about us attracting the same quality of player but who would not want to come to the team in the champ with the best ground and biggest crowds? Also a pretty darn good place to live too!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh ****.

SSN reporting he's been given permission.

Don't go Gus :(
Tony is never going to say, 'you're not talking to them'.

Just because they've asked and Tony has said yes, it doesn't mean it's a done deal.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Sky sources understand Gus Poyet given permission to talk to Reading...

Would be silly for him to go.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Not a big move for him, smaller club.

Does Bloom think Gus has taken us as far as he can and maybe is thinking I'll take the money and get and a more proven manager in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here