Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet maps Albions future

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would expect to see the backbone of the squad brought in January ie.goalkeeper, central defender and either midfielder and/ or right back.

Doesnt look too promising for the vast majority of the squad unless it is a ploy to get them to play to be one of 'his 22 or 23'

Um... Naylor reports, in the first para, that Poyet wants his "own 22 players, which implies 22 new players.

But Poyet just says he wants a squad of "22 or 23 players"...

I think you are reading more into that than was intended. If he's having a clearout, the idea surely is that he is left with the players he wants, plus any additions he wants, in order to get to 'his' squad, rather than just having Slade's squad, as he does currently.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I think you are reading more into that than was intended. If he's having a clearout, the idea surely is that he is left with the players he wants, plus any additions he wants, in order to get to 'his' squad, rather than just having Slade's squad, as he does currently.

Yes, I understand that, thanks! :wozza:

I'm saying that Naylor is twisting the words to make a story out of nothing. Again.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I dunno, people say NSC is a hive of negativity when you could argue that the exact opposite is true, you could say it's actually a hotbed of insane and irrational optimism. Slade, Adams, Wilkins, McGhee, etc - they all could have said exactly what Poyet has said; which after all is quite an anodyne quote along the lines of "I want us to get promotion."

However people are reading it that this time we mean business. This time, unlike the last two seasons, we will REALLY clear out all the dead wood and next season the squad REALLY will be stronger than it is this season. Quite touching really, the triumph of hope over experience and as I say a rebuttal of all those who say that all people do on NSC is moan and slag off the players.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just another squad that'll "need time to gel" come next November.....?

Hope not!

I'd wager he'd get more time to achieve it, if it does.

I suspect Slade would have had more time if he had been Bloom's choice. As I understand it, Slade was Knight's man, and Bloom went with him because he kept us up (whether because Bloom felt he'd earned the chance, or he felt it would be unpopular to change him).

Gus is fully Bloom's choice. As such, I think Bloom will give Poyet more time to sort out his team's gelling than he gave Slade.

(I don't want this to seem like I'm criticising Bloom or Slade)
(Also, I don't want this to be taken as me expecting struggles next year, this is hypothetical - if poyet's team takes time to gel)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mendoza;3244552 Dont players contracts run out on 30th June? that would be some going by Gus[/QUOTE said:
Most clubs issue their retained list etc in early May so players know their siutation then and can then obviously plan for the future.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think Gus should be given any money for new players until he can change our current circumstances with what we have got, ie. get a upper mid table finish. If he doesn't show the potential to be a good manager then we shouldn't give him any money to potentially waste-!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think Gus should be given any money for new players until he can change our current circumstances with what we have got, ie. get a upper mid table finish. If he doesn't show the potential to be a good manager then we shouldn't give him any money to potentially waste-!

How can he do that within the time scale involving the January window. Isnt it the duty of a chairman to back the man he has appointed rather than hold back in case he is a flop. That would be a very negative approach.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
What about the bloke who drives the team bus!?

:angry:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
They've both said that there will be limited movement in January anyway, if he's able to bring two quality players in in January and shoot up the table obviously he should be given full support. But if anyone he brings in January is a flop then maybe it's not appropriate to wack another load if money at him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But the 2 you suggest coming in Jan could cost £200k + each if they arer quality and what gaurantee is there that 2 would be sufficient I can think of at least 3 we need urgently.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Looks like Gus will only retain 6 or 7 of the current squad . TB will be writing several severance cheques for players still in contract but not wanted. I hope that Fozzy will be kept on in a coaching capacity next season.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here