Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: Lee Barnard and Jason Puncheon were January targets

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
'I knew they were available but I couldn't even pay half of what they were earning at Southampton'

'Paynter is out of contract at Swindon, Can we get Paynter? No chance because he is already earning more than we can pay'

'It's a problem, in the beginning we had ten players and nine of them we probably can't afford'

Poyet returns from a scouting and coaching badge mission in South America tomorrow.

Argus

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sounds to me like Poyet doesn't want to spunk money around. Which I have no problems with as long as he can find some more gems. :thumbsup:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I suspect this is just spin to dispel the rich club image we might have but if it is truly the case that we cannot compete with the likes of Swindon for wages then it is a little worrying, especially given the fact that Filton is a very sensible chairman who doesn’t just throw money around.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Sounds to me like Poyet doesn't want to spunk money around. Which I have no problems with as long as he can find some more gems. :thumbsup:

What is says to me in no uncertain terms is we do not have anywhere near as much cash as we think we do to spunk around. I dont know what Paynter is on but Swindon is far from a big club with huge resources are they? Can't be any more than we have payed the likes of forster for the last few seasons.

Unless Poyet can find some miracle players in Uruguay or pick a few more Calderons out of spanish league 2 we wont be going up next year.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What is says to me in no uncertain terms is we do not have anywhere near as much cash as we think we do to spunk around. I dont know what Paynter is on but Swindon is far from a big club with huge resources are they? Can't be any more than we have payed the likes of forster for the last few seasons.

Unless Poyet can find some miracle players in Uruguay or pick a few more Calderons out of spanish league 2 we wont be going up next year.

Yawn. Poyet knows what he is doing. No need for an over reaction here, but as its NSC we will get one.:rolleyes:

To be honest I'm actually thinking now that this is probably a ploy of some sort so we don't get ripped off by agents.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Has anyone ever played poker before? Because you should keep your cards close to your chest.

What this statment says to me is, we want these types of players, but we will not pay over the odds. It does mean its unlikely we will any sign big names this summer.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
To be honest I'm actually thinking now that this is probably a ploy of some sort so we don't get ripped off by agents.

Keep on believing. The simple fact that in January there were no funds available to buy anything other than Holroyd suggests to me that we do not have the cash we think we do.

I really dont know what Bloom is thinking, he expected Slade to turn a relegation bound team into a top 6 team in one summer with £1.2million and now wants Bloom to do it with a wage bill that can't compete with Swindon!

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I would imagine we do have a fair amount to spend but the club have been hit by the impact of Bloom's statement and have been quoted inflated prices for every player they've enquired about so they're trying to backtrack slightly.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Keep on believing. The simple fact that in January there were no funds available to buy anything other than Holroyd suggests to me that we do not have the cash we think we do.

I really dont know what Bloom is thinking, he expected Slade to turn a relegation bound team into a top 6 team in one summer with £1.2million and now wants Bloom to do it with a wage bill that can't compete with Swindon!

Sorry do you really believe that at Poyet's intereview Bloom said 'I want promotion but you will have no cash and see those players that are struggling down the bottom of the league you will have to sell your captain'. Don't think Poyet would have taken the job if that was the case.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Last season hasn't finished yet, and there are three months until next season starts.

Can you not get your panties in a twist yet please?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I would imagine we do have a fair amount to spend but the club have been hit by the impact of Bloom's statement and have been quoted inflated prices for every player they've enquired about so they're trying to backtrack slightly.

3011610.jpg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

For f*** sake...

Maybe he didn't want to spunk stupid money because at that point it looked as though we might be relegated, and also have you ever thought that perhaps Poyet didn't want to spunk money as both him and Bloom have said they HATE the January transfer window!! Why are people so pessimistic? I'm willing to bet this is just a ploy so that agents don't ask for stupid wages.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I would hazard a guess that currently we are operating on a player budget which is between 5-10th of the top of L1. Barnard and Puncheon were last years budget tragets and maybe this coming seasons budget may have made us more attractive, but the evidence so far suggests that the budget wont change much...bar 10%.

Bloom thankfully did step in to pay for the stadium and we all owe a debt of gratitude for that. But even he wanted the banks to loan the club the money, he stepped in when there was no option. He realised no ground = no future. However, it doesn't mean he wants to spend even more money on transfer/wages etc......which in the current situation Albion cant afford on their own due to operating factors.

So I would hazard a guess that we wont be splashing the cash cos we simply cant afford to and will operate like most L1 clubs..........within a very tight budget. Only once we are playing at Falmer and our turnover increases we will start to be able to spend more.

Although I am a little surprised in Bloom not speculating to accumalate, cos being in the Champ will greatly increase our turnover. But to get their will cost dosh.

Hopefully, Poyet will get some very good foreigners on the cheap. Certainly Blooms comments about promotion were ill advised.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
:rolleyes:

No businessman in his right mind is going to throw money around when there already is a big project running which could seriourly spiral out of control... specially in the present economic climate.

Forgte what people say in the press because most of it is spin. The reality is nothing will calm down until we are playing in falmer. Until then let2s stay realstic and hope for a play off push.

Im sure Gus is aware of that.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley

I think this may come down to the fact that Bloom pumped 90 f***ing million in to the stadium, it must have set him back abit.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
.......Why are people so pessimistic? I'm willing to bet this is just a ploy so that agents don't ask for stupid wages.

I always wonder why, if people really think that is the case, they bother to post a reply. Why not just let them get on with it - and hopefully the agents too.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
It says a lot that the first thing that came to my mind when I read that was how quickly NSC would go into meltdown with the doom and gloom merchants? The afterthought was this is gus and bloom making it clear we will not be held to ransom by agents thinking they can make a quick bit of cash from a club moving forward. I want us to sign quality players who actually want to wear the stripes

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Utter rubbish there were funds avaliable in January, Calderon, Lua Lua and Painter coming in during Jan and Feb would have cost money. Calderon would have been got a bonus for signing as he was a free agent. We would have had to contribute to at least part of Painter and Lua Lua's wages for their parent club. The same applies when we picked up Hendrie, Arismendi and Barnes in March.

A free transfer in never free as a player and an agent will both normally pick up a signing on bonus. The money is there its just Bloom and Poyet are not going to be bullied into paying over inflated wages to keep up with the likes of Southampton and risk the future of the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here