Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet is HOT - But

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
mmmm

I think the only turd is coming fron your gob as usual.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A Spielberg thread where he gets abused for no apparent reason and has potential to turn into a binest shocker :lol:, I'm tired ain't got time for this anymore.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think US makes a valid point, albeit one year too early. Let's remember a few seasons ago Adams buggered off in the Autumn to where the grass was greener, but Taylor came in and finished the job, and we went up from League 1 as Champions.

Gus has a track record of not sticking around long, and he could be the sort of manager who will get a Prem job in the next 5 years.

In terms of him leaving us when we're in the ascendancy much will depend upon what sort of shape we'd be in if we reach the Championship. If Gus feels we're equipped to challenge for a play-off spot we may stick with us, but that will depend upon how much is in the pot after the Falmer costs have been settled which, in turn, depends upon how many fans are turning up.

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
Oh stop putting a downer on it US - Gus will stay for Falmer and is still learning management. If we were to go up next yr and that's a big if still, he would surely stay as we'll be going into our new stadium in the Championship. I think Gus has a long term ambition to build the squad here with Tano too - don't forget him...

This but................i have a nagging doubt. I dislike Leeds and would love to see them bottle it again this year but if they do i think they may make a move for Poyet and i doubt if he would pass the chance. Hope i am wrong but i just think he would chose Dirty Leeds over us:facepalm:

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
Just seen that thread about leeds fans on 606 .........bollox.......hands off northern monkeys:annoyed:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think if Leeds fail to go up this season the job may begin to have far less appeal than, say, 4 or 5 years ago.

If Poyet leaves us it will probably be to a Championship contender, i.e. a West Ham, a Notts Forest, WBA, Middlesbro.

Leeds have got some problems. The crowd vs Millwall the other night was piss-poor, now they've lost to a late winner from Norwich. Of course they'll always be a big club but it appears Norwich and Charlton may well get out of this division first time of asking, I recall Man City and Sunderland also did the same but Leeds fans must be just about ready to push the panic button.

And it doesn't get much easier next year. Us, Palace/Watford, Millwall, MK Dons could all be in the mix.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
My prediction is he will leave November 2010. I can't support my hunch but it will be a very sad day. I can't see how we would ever replace the man, I always rated him as a player and before coming here as a potential manager.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
This but................i have a nagging doubt. I dislike Leeds and would love to see them bottle it again this year but if they do i think they may make a move for Poyet and i doubt if he would pass the chance. Hope i am wrong but i just think he would chose Dirty Leeds over us:facepalm:

That is my worry too, as I think Grayson will be shown the door should Leeds fail to go up again. Having said that, I wonder if the reaction of the Leeds bench when they equalised against us might put him off. Also, does he get on that well with Bates? At least Lambert has ruled himself out of the Celtic job; Norwich were another potential poacher.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Why would he go to leeds? I know he has history there, but would that be come under the 'never go back' thing?

Also, while brighton has a history of going through it's managers, that was under knight, Bloom is a new dawn in the clubs ownership and is given the benefit of the doubt. Bloom has shown great support for Poyet, (considering he was rumoured to be against slade in the first place, and didn't want to retain him, he was surprisingly patient with slade) giving the impression he isn't going to, or doesn't want to be the sort of chairman that is quick to pull the trigger on a manager struggling (even if he wasn't his choice, and poyet was his choice so will have more support).

Furthermore the manager changes for brighton in recent years were all, bar one, for generally recognised failures (struggling to stay up*). At leeds the firings occur when you're struggling to get promoted, would he want to go into such a pressure situation?

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I love this thread. I have felt strangely let down since listening to the match this afternoon. Without the usual 90mins of adreneline followed by last minute relief or horrible disappointment, it didn't really feel like supporting the Albion. Now I've got something to worry about again. :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
When he came here, he said quite clearly that he'd taken this job because it was the first one he had been offered which "felt right". That says to me that he will not simply jump ship at the first sign of a 'bigger' job on the horizon.

I've a feeling he wants to see what he has started through to Falmer and beyond, and I very much hope he will be given the opportunity to do so.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
There is no way Gus would go back to Leeds, he fell out with Bates big time and the confrontation on the touch line this season proves the fact he wouldnt go there again.Plus his Mrs likes it down south, if she likes Orpington, wait till she visits East Sussex.
I feel he has a good relationship with TB and what better feeling than taking a club by the scruff of its neck, being given the 100% backing of a wealthy chairman, moving into a new wonderful stadium, and taking a club from division 1 possibly into the Premiership , playing flair football and having a budget to allow him to do it.
What more could you want on your CV.

Gus is here for the duration IMHO.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
Is everyone forgetting round here that potentially by the end of next season WE will be the team that everyone wants to come to...

An ambitious chairman who wants to create a squad by pumping his millions into the club over the next few years.

A manager who will, if his short time so far has anything to go by, have a squad that is playing excellent football and is a force in League 1 (with a potential for being in a force in the Championship).

Oh, and, of course, a brand new stadium that will revive our MASSIVE fanbase.

I think that any ambitious manager or player will be stupid not to want to come/stay here.

This the perfect platform for Gus to do his stuff.

Unless TB's only ambition is to get this club into the Championship and no more, there is no need for Gus to go anywhere. And I cant see that if we are filling Falmer and playing top 6 Championship football.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I think that Gus is serious about wanting to make a major contribution at Brighton and suspect that he would like to see out a full season with us leading up to the opening of Falmer. I can't see him leaving to go to a Championship club, as I would imagine he is confident enough in his own ability that he feels that WE will be one soon.

However, I suspect that the crunch will come around next November, as Leicester Gull suggested. It will be round that time when there are one or two Premiership managerial casualties. Assuming we got off to a decent start next season (and I do) then Gus will be a top flight candidate. While it is nice that we have a high profile manager this can be a double edged sword. Gus has Premiership kudos and keeps his name up in lights with his appearances as a Sky pundit and the like.

If a decent offer is made from a Premiership club this might be hard for him to resist. That said, it would have to be a top flight club with some sort of potential that is failing. For example, a struggling West Ham might be an attractive proposition whereas a Premiership makeweight such as Burnley would not.

I'd like to think that we will get a full season out of Gus next year but I'd only give it about a 60% chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here