Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: I'll go home

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Gus is learning. He doesn't have much Championship experience and there will be mistakes, dud signings, and tactics that backfire. Let's not kid ourselves that it will be an easy ride, this season or next, but we might as well strap ourselves in and enjoy it. It will take a while before Gus has a team of players capable of playing the way he wants, and getting results from it, but it will happen. Allow him the odd hissy fit, it's part of the deal.

This - plus he's having to learn a lot about taking personal responsibility for a team having a rough patch. I suspect failure has never been his personal responsibility before and he'll be hurtin just as much as us, if not more. He wears his heart on his sleeve and says some crazy things both when things are going well and not so well

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Of course this isn't pleasant, but it's just as easy to put a bit more of a positive spin on things. It could be worse, we could be on NINE points.

There was ALWAYS going to be a point where teams figured our main plan out. Gus has already made an effort by bringing in Paynter but with the lack of midfield players fit he is kind of limited at the mo.

Yes we haven't WON in quite a few, but this doom and gloom is actually PATHETIC.

When you take the matches as INDIVIDUALS they aren't TERRIBLE.

We're not being thumped 4's and 5's and we have some credible results in that run. However when they are all back-to-back it looks MUCH worse.

3-3 at home to Leeds after being 2 down is not bad. Sadly the last min goal ruined it
Palace - Bad
Ipswich - many will go there and lose. Hardly a disgrace
Hull draw at home. Hull had the best away record at that point.
Millwall away 1-1. should have won. good away draw
West Ham lost. League fave's. Played well
Birmingham away draw. I count that as a good result
Watford. Bad

So I would say out of them there are 2 bad results. Sadly having all them in a row makes it look like a 'crisis'

I never thought being 11th in the championship, 4 points off the playoffs, with many excellent players due to come back into the team, 18 months after nearly being relegated to league two was a 'crisis' but there you go...

Spot on great post

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
Gus is a good manager he has brought in some good players ,Buckley our best player has been injured a lot unfortunately ,we seem to have a creative midfielder problem and of course football was not meant to be played up in the clouds as Brian Clough said.Teams that play long ball hardly win any trophies anyway.There could be lack of confidence at moment imo because gus instead of just thinking about it has said in public that he will just buy new players if some of the players he does not think are up to it will be replaced ,if you compare to Alex Ferguson he never says that about his team those players just end up being sold off after always having a good chance to prove themselves,the mental side of things is very important in sport ,its a tough league but we are not leaking too many goals at the moment ,need our best players available and solve the problem of not scoring .

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
gus is the best thing that has happened to this football club since ... no idea ... erm... alan mullery
i hope he hangs around a very long time
and that we win on saturday

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
This - plus he's having to learn a lot about taking personal responsibility for a team having a rough patch. I suspect failure has never been his personal responsibility before and he'll be hurtin just as much as us, if not more. He wears his heart on his sleeve and says some crazy things both when things are going well and not so well

Totally agree. That is Poyet and wouldn't want to change him. Time for some of the players to step up to the mark.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
this thread is too long to go all the way through so apologies if already been said. I don't think he means he will go home as in leave the club. He means if you want to hoof the ball around the pitch and not do what we train to do all week, then i don't want to watch it and i may as well go home and leave you to it - for the duration of the game. When i come back - you're all sacked

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Its worrying that Poyet still has not accepted the fact that the slow build up that was behind our promotion is not going to get him far in the Championship,our opponents are aware of our style and the fact we stick to it regardless. I am in no way supporting the long ball but we have to have a planB

Leicester Seagull

Oct 24, 2009
Its worrying that Poyet still has not accepted the fact that the slow build up that was behind our promotion is not going to get him far in the Championship,our opponents are aware of our style and the fact we stick to it regardless. I am in no way supporting the long ball but we have to have a planB

To me though he has accepted this, and it is shown every time we have heard him talking about how much quicker and stronger the players we face in the Championship are. That's not to say that our build up play/passing has improved now -it is still too slow and predictable a lot of the time- but I find it hard to believe that someone who knows the game as well as Gus would not understand that we need to be quicker and more fluid in our attacking play. It's just that we haven't got there yet.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
most if not all of the teams we have played are better equipped for the championship than we are thats not to say they are better than us we just have to learn the ways of this division and its a steep learning curve for all the players, Gus, the staff and mostly the fans, just lately we have lost our way a bit but it will come back Gus and the players don't become rubbish over night.
We also have vital players injured and I am sure when we get some of those back things will change then Gus can start clearing out any dead wood and Gus can start steering the ship on an even keel.
nobody can be pleased that we have lost some games that we all would have given our right hand to win and the fact that we are looking upwards to teams we would dearly love to clamber over and never look backwards and moaning and whinging makes not an iota of difference but if it helps then hey its a free world but after all the blood letting lets remember where we were 2 years ago and get back to supporting the Albion and Gus as we did the first few matches of this season.
I can't get to any matches ,so have to listen to player and those first few matches had the hairs on the back of my neck up all match we all had pride and supported the team to the hilt (some of you still do at the away matches and my hat goes off to you)but the quietness is creeping back into the home matches.
PLEASE DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN
ALBION TILL I DIE

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've just listened to Gus's post-match interview and I'm DELIGHTED with his words - honest, passionate, truthful, pissed off. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Now can we all stop bleating about not being in amongst past-premiership teams in this league and let him get on with his job?

Thanks

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
After 4 pages of this shit, the whinging posts that is, I just couldn't read anymore. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it when it needs saying like on this thread - so many of us still don't know how lucky we are to have Gus installing his beautiful game revolution at our little club, ffs people, get a grip. Vicente and CMS, to name but two, came here so they could be part of something special, not for the better financial rewards they could have got elsewhere. We'd never have got someone like Reyes in on loan with Gus. Supporting The Albion is a life long commitment and with it comes good and bad times, surely we all know this, and if these are bad times as many of you would have us believe then IMHO you haven't got a clue.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
at last you finally see your manager for what he is.

Last season he was calling Saints Dag & Red but with Ricky Lambert and had some ridiculous outburst when we had our rearranged Plymouth fixture at apparently the wrong time ..... and all you lot could talk about was our manager and his stupid 'keep up' throw away comment.

Face it, your manager is permanently on Coke.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

Tell that to Swansea. It can be done. Keep the faith.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

Last season he was calling Saints Dag & Red but with Ricky Lambert and had some ridiculous outburst when we had our rearranged Plymouth fixture at apparently the wrong time ..... and all you lot could talk about was our manager and his stupid 'keep up' throw away comment.

I'll look on the bright side... Looks as though Adkins will get poached before Gus now!

P.s. I said at the start of the season that if we finished 1 place below u guys we would have had a fantastic season. Always thought you'd do well this year.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

This thread has got nothing to do with you - so why don't you go f*** yourself you pointless little turd.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Cast your minds back to when Gus first took over. He had to be given time to get the right mix of players for the following seasons promotion push.

This year will be and was always going to be hard once the euphoria of the stadium opening was over.

As I said on a previous thread in the Watford game we had a midfield almost full of players who played for teams at the bottom half of League 1- therefore its no coincidence that we will struggle against a majority of championship teams. Once we have a fully fit squad then I'd expect us to perform better.

It will take Gus at least a season in this league to build a squad capable, not just of gaining promotion, but also of competing in the Premier League.

I realise teams like Norwich have had successive promotions - however unlike ourselves they have a strong recent history of being a premier league team and so they have the long term foundations set in place unlike ourselves.

It's taken Swansea - a similar style club to us 2 seasons to reach the premier league and I would happily endure a season of mid table mediocrity this year if it meant that the long term ambition of being a successful and stable premier league club is realised.

I'm guessing that many of those whining about style of play, tactics, etc didnt frequent withdean very often as if they did then they'd realise that even with us playing poorly at the moment, it's still better than a vast majority of the games under Messrs McGhee, hinshelwood, booker and Adams in his second stint!

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If you had half a brain you'd see that we although there is concern about our current form99.9% of Brighton fans are 100% behind Gus, so what the f*** are you talking about?? What have we seen he is??

jamesp

Feb 23, 2011
Penrith Cumbria
gus is the best thing that has happened to this football club since ... no idea ... erm... alan mullery
i hope he hangs around a very long time
and that we win on saturday
Gus is the man for us! Granted some of what he comes out with is a worry, but staying up has to be our aim and I for one will be happy to have a season that we consolidate, last time in the Championship it was painful, we ARE better placed this time around in every way!

WallyBanana

Jan 5, 2007
Haywards Heath
Gus is the man for us! Granted some of what he comes out with is a worry, but staying up has to be our aim and I for one will be happy to have a season that we consolidate, last time in the Championship it was painful, we ARE better placed this time around in every way!

And it's also worth remembering that we still have another 31 games, or 93 points, to play! We will stay up.......some people just need to calm down a bit!

Look at the results last night, this proves it's going to be a very competative league this year where everyone beats each other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here