Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: end of term report

What grade would you give Poyet for this term (season)?

• A

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • A-

Votes: 44 18.6%
  • B+

Votes: 89 37.6%
  • B

Votes: 53 22.4%
  • B-

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • C+

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • C-

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • D+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• D-

• E+

• E

• Total voters

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Probably a B. Good season, sound foundations, something to work on.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
A-. A fantastic season, punched well above our weight for most of it, but some poor results in the last few weeks saw us slip from play-offs to mid-table. Still, ended at a higher position than I thought we would.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Would have been an A, but deserved a 'could do better' for the match v Palace at the AMEX. So A-. I think he's learned for next year though.

It's tempting to take into account that we're not ready for prime-time and not bad for a first season, but then to counter that there are other factors like we could have made at least the playoffs had we been hungrier and more passionate, and thrown caution to the wind by playing our most mercurial talents Buckley Noone and Lua at their best positions, together and consistently instead of sporadically and mysteriously dropping people to the bench in a way that seemed a bit bloody-minded and shot us in the foot a lot of the time.

B-

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
B - Step upped better than I thought, but still has a lot to learn, but going in the right direction and i think he will get there. Needs to stop changing the side around so much, does not need too in my opinion, for example, the team against reading had everything and it battered the league champions albeit it ended in a loss, we never saw it again?

Well done Gus, look forward to next term.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
B from me and hopefully an improved grade next season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
B+ from me.

Not ready for a step up to the Premier League which is where he seems to want to fasttrak himself, but shows flashes of brilliance offset by an irritating tendency to tinker even when there doesn't seem to be much wrong.

Not as good at this managing as he thinks he is but much better than average. Could and will do better, a very promising start to life in a much bigger pool than the one he excelled in last year. Fell away badly at the end of term but was competing with the cream of the class by then and not helped by not having the players capable of mixing it at the very top.

All in all a good year, the next one could be a make or break as to whether he has waht it takes to rise to the very top.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Solid B, as well.

Enough scope to improve and learn, but recognising the work that's been done.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
A- for me, a good season, but some strange decisions, all in all very happy:)

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
I think we need a known name like Gus to bring in the big players. We (and he) had a good season this year based on the money we had to play with. Gus seems to be able to sell the dream to players well and i feel the longer we keep him the more chance we will have of making the bigtime. B+ from me keep up the good work.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
B+ too.

10th is a great result, and I think Gus has worked hard this year – some people's expectations need a slight reality check. My only reasons for edging him down from A- are:
– as others have said, perhaps a touch much tinkering
– a few slightly odd personnel decisions (signing Harley, offloading Hoskins), though you're always going to have your share...
– speaking out over the Suarez affair, just didn't think it was needed really

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Voted B

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
+ Finishing 10th on the 14th best budget
+ Beating Newcastle and a great Cup run
+ Getting the best out of Barnes
+ Playing enjoyable
+ Beating Palace by 10 points
+ Signing Vicente
+ Beating Soton 3-1

- Losing to Palace 3-1
- Some truly odd selections (Millwall at home)
- Leaving 5 mins from the end twice

Overall:

A- : Expectations were artificially inflated by our start to the season and artificially deflated by the end. Overall all, given an inexperienced manager, a mainly League One squad, a comparitively small budget and a very competitive division this has been a great Championship return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here