Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: Barnes can be worth £1 million

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No we don't. We've got two. Three at a pinch.

Ah good, you were saying things I agreed with there for a bit. We definitely have 3, probably more. I said "reasonable to good".

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I may be in a very tiny minority here but I think another striker is probably the last thing we need in the January window as there is a risk of upsetting the balance of the squad.

That is a nagging doubt - but the number of chances we create should have led to more goals and more points. A proper goal-scorer (who also took penalties!) could fill their boots. However - in Gus we trust.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I would also say that his attitude has been pretty good for a young lad. Apart from the odd bit of petulance in games (Plymouth goal celebration, Portuguese riot) he has not thrown his toys out the pram after being dropped (despite being our top scorer at the time) and has got on with the job. Was delighted to see him get the winner yesterday!

He played a major role in changing the game yesterday, and not just through his goal. The Exeter defence seemed very uncomfortable when he came on, after Wood had ended their option of heading out any high balls and putting pressure back on us. Barnes was all over the place, including back defending during the 10 minute period when it looked likely they would score.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm sorry but Wood is more than "reasonable" for League 1 standard. You can see he's got a good touch and good awareness.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I'm sorry but Wood is more than "reasonable" for League 1 standard. You can see he's got a good touch and good awareness.

Yep has a lot of potential, brilliant at holding up the ball, I keep forgetting how young some of our players are with some of the performances they're putting in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

OK, so who's in your 'probably more' then?

Sandaza? Holroyd? Hart?

If you say yes to any of the above then we have to agree to disagree again then.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Austin at Swindon is 30 in 50 starts I beleive and apparently 2million to Birmingham aged what 23? If Barnes is 13 in 21 (and some subs granted but expect Austin has too) he can't be far off that price IF he continues similarly through till the summer. Has better pedigree before last season surely having been Plymouth in Champ not a non-leaguer, plus younger and with a long contract, plus a hard worker etc. which people have said Austin isn't.
Also read between the lines saying if Barnes is worth 1 million, everyone is talking about Murray, so Murray's worth more than that! Sure contract situation would effect that but is the point that stuck with me.

They are both 21.

Your other arguments are flawed also.

In addition, Austin has 37 in 54 (+7) appearances for Swindon, compared to Barnes who has 13 in 25 (+9) for us. If you look at the league only, Austin has 31 in 45 (+5), and Barnes 13 in 21 (+9).

Austin is also far more consistent. Whilst he rarely scores more than one goal in a game, he also never had a long spell without scoring a goal, which I think is far more important. This season his longest dry spout is one game.

Plus, if Austin were in a better team he would surely score even more.

As much as I rate Barnes, he is not even close to Austin's level, who is Swindon's Zamora.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
OK, so who's in your 'probably more' then?

Sandaza? Holroyd? Hart?

If you say yes to any of the above then we have to agree to disagree again then.

Holroyd has the most potential out of those, played well the other day. Not Hart. Sandaza when fit could be "reasonable". Not "good". "Reasonable".

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Until Wood came on yesterday, Exeter were able to head out any high balls we put in and then pressure us again. When Wood came on they couldn't do this any more and we took control, which alone shows the value he brings to the team.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I may be in a very tiny minority here but I think another striker is probably the last thing we need in the January window as there is a risk of upsetting the balance of the squad. I'd prefer to see cover at fullback (both of them).

Gus told me in the podcast that he doesn't need cover, he needs players with extra qualities over what we already have. He won't be bolstering the first-team squad; more likely we'll see development players like Agdestein if not Noone-level first teamers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gus told me in the podcast that he doesn't need cover, he needs players with extra qualities over what we already have. He won't be bolstering the first-team squad; more likely we'll see development players like Agdestein if not Noone-level first teamers.

Exactly. No point getting another striker of a similar level. We have loads. Either dev. players or high-end players.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Surely that contradicts with what he has told Naylor? If he lands his 'special one' then he will have bolstered the first team squad.
Well, by virtue of an existing first-choice player then becoming a backup, possibly; but the point I am making is that Gus is looking for special quality players, not cover for specific positions already filled, by which I meant 'bolstering the squad'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here