Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: Barnes can be worth £1 million

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Argus:

Poyet 'forget about Glenn, because everybody knows about him. If Ash can get close to 20 goals this season his value can go up to £1 million. That is what I have seen other people paying and then it is going to be difficult to keep players when money like that is offered for them'

The flurry of goals for Albions front men has not affected Poyet's desire to land another marksman during the January transfer window.

Poyet ' I hope they keep scoring after January if we don't get the striker we are looking for'

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
£1m seems a bit steep to me, good player granted and gets in the right positions, i think he needs to be a bit more prolific first IMO.

murraymint

Aug 13, 2008
The lad has 13 goals in 21 starts (and 9 sub appearances for us) it's a great start to his career. He is certainly one to watch in the future and whether or not he will be worth £1m he was a snip at the £60,000-odd we got him for. He's young, talented and keen (although clearly not yet the finished article) - a great example of the squad poyet has assembled so far.

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4
I would also say that his attitude has been pretty good for a young lad. Apart from the odd bit of petulance in games (Plymouth goal celebration, Portuguese riot) he has not thrown his toys out the pram after being dropped (despite being our top scorer at the time) and has got on with the job. Was delighted to see him get the winner yesterday!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I may be in a very tiny minority here but I think another striker is probably the last thing we need in the January window as there is a risk of upsetting the balance of the squad. I'd prefer to see cover at fullback (both of them).

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I may be in a very tiny minority here but I think another striker is probably the last thing we need in the January window as there is a risk of upsetting the balance of the squad. I'd prefer to see cover at fullback (both of them).

I presume Gus thinks that Alan Navarro's comeback in February will not require another midfield signing? I would probably like another midfielder and full back. But hey, it's a very good squad and team and one that I believe will trounce the ClubCheat FC (aka Pompeyscummers) on Saturday.

TNBA

TTF

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
i may be in a very tiny minority here but i think another striker is probably the last thing we need in the january window as there is a risk of upsetting the balance of the squad. I'd prefer to see cover at fullback (both of them).

spot on

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Gus will only bring in another striker if they are "special". The last thing we need is a "reasonable to good" League 1 striker, we have more than enough of those.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Hes a young lad so if he scored 20 goals he would be close to that price bracket.
He'd probably already be on 20 if he could score tap ins. Will be a great player, but too soon for him at the moment, and I think the bench is the best place for him. Needs to be far more cynical in front of goal

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Needs to be far more cynical in front of goal

'Well, I could tap the ball into the back of the net, but that would only increase my profile, meaning I'd probably get sold above my station and have one disappointing season before spiralling back down to either Eastbourne or Lewes an dhaving to work as a taxi driver on the side, it's always the way with ex-Brighton players'

???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barnes will already certainly be in the scouts notebooks. But I'd suggest he's need a couple of seasons under the belt with the same sort of stats before he's valued at £1 million.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Austin at Swindon is 30 in 50 starts I beleive and apparently 2million to Birmingham aged what 23? If Barnes is 13 in 21 (and some subs granted but expect Austin has too) he can't be far off that price IF he continues similarly through till the summer. Has better pedigree before last season surely having been Plymouth in Champ not a non-leaguer, plus younger and with a long contract, plus a hard worker etc. which people have said Austin isn't.
Also read between the lines saying if Barnes is worth 1 million, everyone is talking about Murray, so Murray's worth more than that! Sure contract situation would effect that but is the point that stuck with me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here