Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet and Tarrico Building For Brighton's Future

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Gus Poyet and Mauricio Taricco's vision for a bright future for The Seagulls, looks to be taking a step closer to reality.

With The American Express Community Stadium on it's way in July 2011, the management duo want a training complex to match the state of the art new home.

Plans are being formed to build The Seagulls a purpose built, 9-pitch training complex that will make up an academy for young players to prosper.

Poyet and Taricco signed four year deals as it would give the chance to mould the next generation of players coming through, this complex will give them the tools to do just that.

The complex will be made of nine pitches, both indoors and outdoors, as well as a high-spec gym and a development centre for all the young scholars.

Land at Sussex University, Waterhall and Hickstead have been identified as possible areas to build the complex, which would bring the club's training facilities in line with its brand new home.

The squad currently train at Sussex University, where the pitches aren't the greatest and facilities are shared with local students.

Taricco believes that Spanish giant's, Barcelona are the model to follow, and the training complex is the ideal way to build on that model, having already put together The Seagulls first ever development squad.

The management duo's vision is then to work on the youngsters and development squad, eventually bringing them into the first team in 2,3 or 4 years time.

They will be aided by new recruit John Stephenson, who has come in from Watford with a brief of improving the youth set up, as well as finding players for the club from academy, right through to the first team.

The Albion have had a good track record with young players in the recent past making huge profits on Adam Virgo, Dan Harding, Dean Hammond and Joel Lynch, as well as getting England recognition for Adam Hinshlewood, John Sullivan and Jake Caskey.

Despite signing several foreign players, Poyet sees the need to look closer to home, and has already given Jake Caskey, Mitch Walker and Lewis Dunk a taste of first team football in his 14 months in charge.

I just love those two! :amex: :albion2: :clap:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Where does that come from? Good article

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Land at Sussex University, Waterhall and Hickstead have been identified as possible areas to build the complex, which would bring the club's training facilities in line with its brand new home.

and hopefully at the same time they can build a massive car park next to it to provide P& R facilities to the Stadium in order to allow for expansion to 30k

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I wonder how many planning applications this will this take.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hickstead would be handy for Gus travelling-wise.

I heard a while back that they had land there earmarked for a training ground.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Hickstead would be ideal as I can't see anyone kicking up a fuss about it being built there as hardly anyone lives nearby.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The planning application should, in theory, be easier for a training ground. After all, we aren't proposing to have 20,000+ heading to our training ground between 20 and 30 times a year. Or, should I remove my rose-tinted specs?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Something else the Argus has been beaten to then. Get to work Andy.

Not strictly true as he has often talked about the training ground on the Q&A sessions and how it was Martin Perry next project and land was in the process of being identified.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
That type of land space is not avalible around Brighton and Hove, unless its University land and they work in partnership with them i.e run courses etc.

9 Football pitchs and buildings will need some space, may be tight around here..

Attachments

• Falmer air.jpg
    Falmer air.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 527

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not strictly true as he has often talked about the training ground on the Q&A sessions and how it was Martin Perry next project and land was in the process of being identified.

I think we could all have said that, this well written article provides some meat. I would think Sussex University will be favourite.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Hickstead would be ideal as I can't see anyone kicking up a fuss about it being built there as hardly anyone lives nearby.

I do - And agree, fantastic place for the training ground. Not so fantastic for a P&R scheme though, a) Where would you put it? b) showground clashes will be a nightmare.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here