Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet admits eyeing Chelsea job

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
As Gus, there and Eastlands would be the last places I would want to go at this time.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Your link didnt work.

Found the story here:

Brighton boss Poyet admits eyeing Chelsea job - Yahoo!7 Sport

Brighton boss Gus Poyet admits the Chelsea job is a long-term ambition.

He can envisage himself being in the Premier League in five years, with or without his current club and he hints that a return to Stamford Bridge is on his mind.

"There are always possibilities in football," he told the Daily Mail. "I have always thought it was easier to work at the clubs you've played for because they know your character so it could be any of the teams I played for. I'm not in a hurry; it doesn't need to be tomorrow.

"I am 100 per cent convinced I will manage Zaragoza but not now. They have a magnificent manager in Javier Aguirre but I know that in five, 10 or 20 years I will manage them.

"And if that happens with Chelsea then great but I'm not worrying about it."

:tantrum:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't begrudge him moving to Chelsea. Let's face it, they won't go for him just yet as all he has is a League One promotion/title under his belt.
When they are more likely to go for him, he probably would be managing in the Premiership already. Hopefully with us!
If he had got us to that point, his work is done.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
This is the problem with us "football fans " .....10 games into next season without a win ,and we will be howling for Ian Dowie (sic ). !!!!!!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Abramovich wont appoint him there yet, he only goes for experience in champions league as he is completly obsessed with trying to win it.

My shout (wild guess - hope I'm wildly wrong) could be for Gus to leave after next season. I can invisage the situation where Harry Rednapp (fans favourite) takes over England when Capello goes in 2012, and that would leave Spurs Job open.

That club/style of play and his history with it, may well fit our brilliant manager on many levels and prove hard to resist as well?

In the meantime the Gus Bus moves from strength to strength and glory to glory and I'm gonna enjoy the ride as long as it lasts

Last edited:

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Let's face facts. If Chelsea wanted Gus, he would go and we would get a shit load of compensation. Life goes on! I hope he'll stay for years, but he will have ambitions too that maybe beyond us over the next few years. I hope not !!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm really not sure I'm ready to cope with the concept of Gus leaving. Ever.

I think I'd fall apart. I'm terrified at how much I love him.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
My fear is he'll go abroad to a (Spanish?) club as a fast track to being a top boss in any one of the big european leagues.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I've been worried for a while about what will happen when he moves on. But the last couple of months have convinced me that there isn't just one man who is moving this club forward, and Tony Bloom will still be here long after Gus goes. And I fully trust Bloom to appoint another quality manager to take us further as I don't believe, with the plans that he has for this club, that he will settle for anything less than the best.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wouldnt expect anything less. i'd imagine just about any manager would quite fancy a crack at Chelsea, even without a playing attachement.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Only thing we know for sure is he'll go at some time ... and if he's got any sense it'll be when he's at the top. It's so fickle as "ewe" eluded too. Plenty of examples of winning today/losing tomorrow and for no obvious reason. Not a chance he's ready for Chelsea and as Seagull 27 said Bloom is astute enough to replace him with a quality replacement if and when it happens

I would prefer he gets us competing with Chelsea. Let's be honest he's doing a great job at a lower level, he's worked in the Prem before, but Chelsea will always want top level international coaches and Gus isn't one yet.

Ambition though, is great to see. He'll be doing the right thing for all concerned by staying with The Albion.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If Gus gets us into promotion contention next season do you think he would stay to take us up or leave if a huge offer came along?

I still think he is basically here for Tony's 5 year plan. Take us up next season and give it maybe 2 or 3 seasons to get to the Prem. Im assuming that as long as his big offers (Chelski/Zaragoza) dont come in, he'll stay until the job is done.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I still think he is basically here for Tony's 5 year plan.

As much as I'd love to believe that I cannot see any possibility of him being here for another 3-4 years if we continue to be successful. JCF's question is a good one and I'm not even sure he'd stay if he did get us into the Prem next season because some very attractive offers at home and abroad would then surely come his way. With him would surely go Tanno and Oatway, but I have faith that Bloom will want the 'Poyet Blueprint' to live on and ensure that the replacement management team would be personnel who could best replicate Poyet's methods/tactics/management style etc.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The thing is, we'll attract a better calibre of manager now we've got Falmer and hopefully can cement ourselves as a Championship club... although I'll still be gutted when he leaves :(

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here